Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Using a UK gas BBQ in France

Using a UK gas BBQ in France

Old Mar 23rd 2019, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

nbeecken is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Using a UK gas BBQ in France

Hi, I am planning on bringing my UK weber gas BBQ to France and was wondering if somebody knows what i have to do to use it there?

Any feedback appreciated.
thanks
Old Mar 23rd 2019, 5:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat056 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Using a UK gas BBQ in France

Hi, on my boat I had to buy a new regulator and go over to the French style gas bottles. The regulator is pretty cheap as far as I recall. There was boat tradition of swapping bottles and regulators in Calais with someone who was going back, though we never met anyone in the coupe of weeks we were there so had to buy a regulator and ditch the UK bottles'
Old Mar 23rd 2019, 7:40 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nbeecken View Post
Hi, I am planning on bringing my UK weber gas BBQ to France and was wondering if somebody knows what i have to do to use it there?

Any feedback appreciated.
thanks

A new regulator and gas bottle. and a BBQ that needs charcoal honestly get grip, gas stoves live in the kitchen BBQ's are for staying in touch with out caveman inner self....

Meat tastes better when BBQ'ed on charcoal due to the maillard reaction combined with the fuels and if you use gas if tastes like cooking it indoors...

Last edited by Chatter Static; Mar 23rd 2019 at 7:49 pm.
Old Mar 25th 2019, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

That's as maybe, but if you live somewhere where charcoal bbqs are banned as we do then there are only 2 alternatives. Use a gas one or build one into the garden which would be great if the garden was big enough and also doesn't take the environmental damage done by the manufacture of most charcoal.
Old Mar 26th 2019, 12:56 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grannybunz View Post
That's as maybe, but if you live somewhere where charcoal bbqs are banned as we do then there are only 2 alternatives. Use a gas one or build one into the garden which would be great if the garden was big enough and also doesn't take the environmental damage done by the manufacture of most charcoal.
BBQ banned? Thats a new one....
Old Mar 26th 2019, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

We live in a heavily wooded Regional Park where the fire risk, in summer, is very high.. Portable charcoal and disposable bbqs are banned and quite understandably too.
Old Mar 26th 2019, 1:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grannybunz View Post
We live in a heavily wooded Regional Park where the fire risk, in summer, is very high.. Portable charcoal and disposable bbqs are banned and quite understandably too.
That's just idiotic, or at least an attempt to regulate idiots. There is zero chance that a charcoal BBQ in normal usage would start a fire, none whatsoever. ….. Throwing the coals on the ground when you're done cooking is a whole other matter of course.
Old Mar 26th 2019, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Pulaski's comment notwithstanding, forest fires in France allegedly caused by BBQ users - idiots or otherwise - have been widespread in the past leading to draconian counter measures, i.e. fines of 3570euros or 6 months prison sentence. Full info HERE.
Old Mar 26th 2019, 4:56 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chatter Static View Post
Meat tastes better when BBQ'ed on charcoal due to the maillard reaction combined with the fuels and if you use gas if tastes like cooking it indoors...
The rate of the Maillard reaction depends only on temperature. The taste difference (if there is one) when using charcoal is mostly a result of the pyrolysis of fat on the charcoal surface resulting in a variety of molecules which include polycyclic aromatics, most of which are mutagenic and some of which (e.g benzalphapyrene) are known carcinogens.

Enjoy!
Old Mar 26th 2019, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

If I am to tell the truth I don't actually enjoy bbqed meat all that much or much meat come to that ! Fish in foil usually so what the heat source is doesn't really matter. I do care about our forests though,The GC swould hate it if they couldn't cooke what they want when they come on holiday. Does it matter if it's chrcoal or gas for toasted marshmallows?