Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Useful French Phrases

Useful French Phrases

Old Feb 28th 2010, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

karunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to all
Default Re: Useful French Phrases

Hello neighbour, yes, faux amis are fascinating.
One I have always liked is the road sign "Deviation" for "Diversion".
I was just given the book "Honni soit qui mal y pense", by linguist Henriette Walter. (L'incroyable histoire d'amour entre le francais et l'anglais). The person who gave it to me summarised the book as "How the English language comes from the French" (one way of looking at it!). Apart from that, the book has ALL the faux amis one can think of....
Old Mar 1st 2010, 7:46 am
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

Talking of faux amis...

When I first arrived in cardiff, I was working in a small hotel...

One day at lunch with all housekeeping girls... I said "She's not happy coz I kept on shagging her!" all I meant was "nagging her"....

LOL I had them laughing for days if not WEEKS!!!!

Souvenirs... Souvenirs...
Old Mar 7th 2010, 3:02 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

I was helping the little boy with his homework, And I learnt a word which I would have found useful in the past.

Chimère Which is a pipedream / fantasy as well as that funny mythological beast thingy although there are lots of other things that the word gets used for. Im going to help the boy with his homework more often, might learn more French.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

kjs5 is an unknown quantity at this point

some really useful phrases on here as well as some fun ones as well
Old May 4th 2010, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Ah bon? French OH and I have lived here for 18 years and haven't noticed!

But "connard" and "connasse" are real insults. There are two villages in the Hérault called "Caunas" and "Conas" (s pronounced) where I wouldn't fancy living. Rather like "Montcuq" in the Lot (the q not being pronounced)...
Whilst on the subject of the village of Montcuq (pronounced correctly without the 'q' also means 'my arse'), here's one of Daniel Prevost's classic sketches which is often repeated on tv comic shows. Very clever!
Link HERE

"Voici le fameux poêle de Moncuq....."
Old May 4th 2010, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

Martin Parker will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Whilst on the subject of the village of Montcuq (pronounced correctly without the 'q' also means 'my arse'), here's one of Daniel Prevost's classic sketches which is often repeated on tv comic shows. Very clever!
Link HERE

"Voici le fameux poêle de Moncuq....."
We were corrected on our pronunciation of beaucoup for similar reasons, so instead of saying "very much", it was been heard as "nice arse". I wondered why the double glazing salesman was giving me a funny look!
Old May 7th 2010, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

Bellahand is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, still on a UK keyboard and a little sleepy to remember the accent codes!

je dois bouger mon cul / bouges ton cul etc

Parles a ma tete, mon cul est malade (I quite like this one!)

arretes de faire l'idiot

ca suffit! That's enough!
Old May 7th 2010, 5:34 am
Forum Regular

Bellahand is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by karunia
Hello neighbour, yes, faux amis are fascinating.
One I have always liked is the road sign "Deviation" for "Diversion".
I was just given the book "Honni soit qui mal y pense", by linguist Henriette Walter. (L'incroyable histoire d'amour entre le francais et l'anglais). The person who gave it to me summarised the book as "How the English language comes from the French" (one way of looking at it!). Apart from that, the book has ALL the faux amis one can think of....
This sounds great, I'm going to buy this!!!
Old Jul 14th 2011, 8:17 am
Loving the mountains

howiet01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all,

Just came back fro a lovely time in Avignon and surrounding area. We are going over areas where we stuggled and was hoping for some help.

My wife is a veggie and I was hoping someone could advise of the best way of asking a couple of things please;

She would say ´Je suis une végétarienne´ which was fine but how would you ask ´ís there meat in this´? Also the plat du jour, what would be the best way of asking ís ´is the plat du jour ok/suitable for a vegetarian?´ Finally is ok to ask ´Quelle est la plat du jour aujourd´hui?´

I have used google translate but sometimes I think it misses the translation you are looking for!
Old Jul 14th 2011, 2:11 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
"Je suis végétarienne.
Est-ce qu'il y a de la viande dans ce plat, svp?
Est-ce que le plat du jour convient à une végétarienne, svp?
Quel est le plat du jour, svp?"

The problem with some waiters is that ham in a mixed salad doesn't count as meat !
It's very rare for a plat du jour not to include meat or fish.
Hope this helps!
Old Jul 16th 2011, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bellahand
Sorry, still on a UK keyboard and a little sleepy to remember the accent codes!

je dois bouger mon cul / bouges ton cul etc

Parles a ma tete, mon cul est malade (I quite like this one!)

arretes de faire l'idiot

ca suffit! That's enough!
â Alt 131
ä Alt 132
à Alt 133
ç Alt 135
é Alt 130
è Alt 138
ê Alt 136
ü Alt 129

Old Aug 5th 2011, 12:09 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
â Alt 131
ä Alt 132
à Alt 133
ç Alt 135
é Alt 130
è Alt 138
ê Alt 136
ü Alt 129

Try me again on that one Cyrian. Wouldn't work on my Word version.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 1:23 pm
Loving the mountains

howiet01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi,
"Je suis végétarienne.
Est-ce qu'il y a de la viande dans ce plat, svp?
Est-ce que le plat du jour convient à une végétarienne, svp?
Quel est le plat du jour, svp?"

The problem with some waiters is that ham in a mixed salad doesn't count as meat !
It's very rare for a plat du jour not to include meat or fish.
Hope this helps!
Merci beaucoup dmu
Old Aug 5th 2011, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cjm
Think that it might only work if you have a separate numeric keypad.
I always buy computers with a numeric keypad for this reason.
If I use the numbers at the top of the keyboard, it doesn't work.
In Word you can use a character set (Insert a character) to access accented letters but it is a bit slow and cumbersome.
Alternatively you can buy a french external keyboard and plug it in when you want to write something in french. My daughter did that when she was studying in France.

Hope that helps
Old Aug 5th 2011, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cjm
I have sent you an e-mail.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.