Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Useful French Phrases

Useful French Phrases

Old Mar 29th 2020, 10:33 am
  #346  
BE Forum Addict
 
Tweedpipe's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Halfway between Ricard & Absynthe
Posts: 4,290
Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Useful French Phrases

Originally Posted by dmu
OH never used the expression - I had to find out what it means, and its origin. I always thought it meant the opposite, e.g. a wishy-washy introvert, so I'm glad I've never used it!!
Another translation to be wary of::
"Hope" ="espoir ", but = "espérance" in the sense of expectancy/expectation. e.g. Cape of Good Hope isn't Cap de Bon Espoir. as proposed by a machine translation, but de Bonne Espérance!!
Now look what you've done...... From now onwards whenever I see the following faces I'll be thinking 'Bob Expectation'.





Tweedpipe is offline  
Old Mar 29th 2020, 11:31 am
  #347  
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Hérault (34)
Posts: 8,888
dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Useful French Phrases

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Now look what you've done...... From now onwards whenever I see the following faces I'll be thinking 'Bob Expectation'.


"Thanks for the memory...."
dmu is offline  
Old Mar 29th 2020, 11:45 am
  #348  
Born again atheist
 
Novocastrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Europe (to be specified).
Posts: 30,259
Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Useful French Phrases

Originally Posted by dmu
OH never used the expression - I had to find out what it means, and its origin. I always thought it meant the opposite, e.g. a wishy-washy introvert, so I'm glad I've never used it!!
Another translation to be wary of::
"Hope" ="espoir ", but = "espérance" in the sense of expectancy/expectation. e.g. Cape of Good Hope isn't Cap de Bon Espoir. as proposed by a machine translation, but de Bonne Espérance!!
There is an english equivalent to that definition = "milksop".

Last edited by Novocastrian; Mar 29th 2020 at 11:55 am.
Novocastrian is offline  
Old Mar 29th 2020, 2:59 pm
  #349  
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Hérault (34)
Posts: 8,888
dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Useful French Phrases

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
There is an english equivalent to that definition = "milksop".
Thanks for that, I had a Senior moment and knew it was a bit like "fop", but didn't think to add the milky bit.
dmu is offline  
Old Apr 14th 2020, 8:41 am
  #350  
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Hérault (34)
Posts: 8,888
dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Useful French Phrases

Can any one suggest a French equivalent to "complacent"? I'd say that "complaisant" is a faux ami, and, IMO, "suffisant" or "content de soi" are too arrogant or smug for that particular state of mind,..
Maybe I've got the wrong word in English (another Senior Moment) - I mean, when you've accepted/are resigned to your lot, without making an effort to get out of the resulting "comfort zone"....
Any one?
dmu is offline  
Old Apr 14th 2020, 6:12 pm
  #351  
Gloves off
 
BuckinghamshireBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2016
Location: Narnia
Posts: 7,261
BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Useful French Phrases

Originally Posted by dmu
Can any one suggest a French equivalent to "complacent"? I'd say that "complaisant" is a faux ami, and, IMO, "suffisant" or "content de soi" are too arrogant or smug for that particular state of mind,..
Maybe I've got the wrong word in English (another Senior Moment) - I mean, when you've accepted/are resigned to your lot, without making an effort to get out of the resulting "comfort zone"....
Any one?
Dans un mot, non.

Good question. Not that I remember being in a situation requiring the use of that term, if push came to shove I would likely go for "acceptant", delivered in a broad Buckinghamshire accent. If that didn't work, I'd likely have to add on "et je m'en fi***".

Does this mean that complacency does not have a toehold in l'Hexagone?
BuckinghamshireBoy is offline  
Old Apr 14th 2020, 6:24 pm
  #352  
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Hérault (34)
Posts: 8,888
dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Useful French Phrases

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
Dans un mot, non.

Good question. Not that I remember being in a situation requiring the use of that term, if push came to shove I would likely go for "acceptant", delivered in a broad Buckinghamshire accent. If that didn't work, I'd likely have to add on "et je m'en fi***".

Does this mean that complacency does not have a toehold in l'Hexagone?
This occurred to me, too! I was trying to explain to a French person that I risked becoming too complacent (or whatever) during the second half of our confinement. A sort of Stockholm syndrome during a hostage situation....
dmu is offline  
Old Apr 16th 2020, 12:13 pm
  #353  
Born again atheist
 
Novocastrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Europe (to be specified).
Posts: 30,259
Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Useful French Phrases

Originally Posted by dmu
This occurred to me, too! I was trying to explain to a French person that I risked becoming too complacent (or whatever) during the second half of our confinement. A sort of Stockholm syndrome during a hostage situation....
satisfait? Or did you mean compliant? conciliante.
Novocastrian is offline  
Old Apr 17th 2020, 8:10 am
  #354  
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Hérault (34)
Posts: 8,888
dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Useful French Phrases

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
satisfait? Or did you mean compliant? conciliante.
"Suffisante" is the best I've found in French, but I still think it's too arrogant, in the sense of a smug know-all. Whereas I want to get over the idea of willingly accepting/being resigned to a unpleasant situation, without preparing for the risk of it worsening. According to Webster, "complacent" seems to correspond, but that doesn't help with the French equivalent. As said, the concept probably doesn't exist here, rather like "crises de foie" don't exist in English!
dmu is offline  
Old Apr 17th 2020, 8:57 am
  #355  
Gloves off
 
BuckinghamshireBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2016
Location: Narnia
Posts: 7,261
BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Useful French Phrases

Originally Posted by dmu
"Suffisante" is the best I've found in French, but I still think it's too arrogant, in the sense of a smug know-all. Whereas I want to get over the idea of willingly accepting/being resigned to a unpleasant situation, without preparing for the risk of it worsening. According to Webster, "complacent" seems to correspond, but that doesn't help with the French equivalent. As said, the concept probably doesn't exist here, rather like "crises de foie" don't exist in English!
I asked eldest SD, she said that she thought that "suffisant(e)" would be the closest to the English term.
BuckinghamshireBoy is offline  
Old Mar 22nd 2023, 10:00 pm
  #356  
Gloves off
 
BuckinghamshireBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2016
Location: Narnia
Posts: 7,261
BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Useful French Phrases

Salut mes amis!

A question; having recently had my eyes opened to an English term (noun to be precise) that I had previously considered to be relatively inoffensive, but not, according to some others ...

This one (spoilered below) I also consider as inoffensive - despite what some of those "all knowing 'murcan" websites would have one believe.

Spoiler:
chacun sa merde





To me, this expression (very likely accompanied by "the shoulder shrug") is just saying "everyone has their own troubles" and nothing more.

Or did I have a mis-spent middle-age in Suisse Romande?
BuckinghamshireBoy is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.