Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Useful French Phrases

Useful French Phrases

Old Mar 29th 2020, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Useful French Phrases

Originally Posted by dmu
OH never used the expression - I had to find out what it means, and its origin. I always thought it meant the opposite, e.g. a wishy-washy introvert, so I'm glad I've never used it!!
Another translation to be wary of::
"Hope" ="espoir ", but = "espérance" in the sense of expectancy/expectation. e.g. Cape of Good Hope isn't Cap de Bon Espoir. as proposed by a machine translation, but de Bonne Espérance!!
Now look what you've done...... From now onwards whenever I see the following faces I'll be thinking 'Bob Expectation'.

Old Mar 29th 2020, 11:31 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Now look what you've done...... From now onwards whenever I see the following faces I'll be thinking 'Bob Expectation'.

"Thanks for the memory...."
Old Mar 29th 2020, 11:45 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
OH never used the expression - I had to find out what it means, and its origin. I always thought it meant the opposite, e.g. a wishy-washy introvert, so I'm glad I've never used it!!
Another translation to be wary of::
"Hope" ="espoir ", but = "espérance" in the sense of expectancy/expectation. e.g. Cape of Good Hope isn't Cap de Bon Espoir. as proposed by a machine translation, but de Bonne Espérance!!
There is an english equivalent to that definition = "milksop".

Last edited by Novocastrian; Mar 29th 2020 at 11:55 am.
Old Mar 29th 2020, 2:59 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
There is an english equivalent to that definition = "milksop".
Thanks for that, I had a Senior moment and knew it was a bit like "fop", but didn't think to add the milky bit.
Old Apr 14th 2020, 8:41 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Can any one suggest a French equivalent to "complacent"? I'd say that "complaisant" is a faux ami, and, IMO, "suffisant" or "content de soi" are too arrogant or smug for that particular state of mind,..
Maybe I've got the wrong word in English (another Senior Moment) - I mean, when you've accepted/are resigned to your lot, without making an effort to get out of the resulting "comfort zone"....
Any one?
Old Apr 14th 2020, 6:12 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Can any one suggest a French equivalent to "complacent"? I'd say that "complaisant" is a faux ami, and, IMO, "suffisant" or "content de soi" are too arrogant or smug for that particular state of mind,..
Maybe I've got the wrong word in English (another Senior Moment) - I mean, when you've accepted/are resigned to your lot, without making an effort to get out of the resulting "comfort zone"....
Any one?
Dans un mot, non.

Good question. Not that I remember being in a situation requiring the use of that term, if push came to shove I would likely go for "acceptant", delivered in a broad Buckinghamshire accent. If that didn't work, I'd likely have to add on "et je m'en fi***".

Does this mean that complacency does not have a toehold in l'Hexagone?
Old Apr 14th 2020, 6:24 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
Dans un mot, non.

Good question. Not that I remember being in a situation requiring the use of that term, if push came to shove I would likely go for "acceptant", delivered in a broad Buckinghamshire accent. If that didn't work, I'd likely have to add on "et je m'en fi***".

Does this mean that complacency does not have a toehold in l'Hexagone?
This occurred to me, too! I was trying to explain to a French person that I risked becoming too complacent (or whatever) during the second half of our confinement. A sort of Stockholm syndrome during a hostage situation....
Old Apr 16th 2020, 12:13 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
This occurred to me, too! I was trying to explain to a French person that I risked becoming too complacent (or whatever) during the second half of our confinement. A sort of Stockholm syndrome during a hostage situation....
satisfait? Or did you mean compliant? conciliante.
Old Apr 17th 2020, 8:10 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
satisfait? Or did you mean compliant? conciliante.
"Suffisante" is the best I've found in French, but I still think it's too arrogant, in the sense of a smug know-all. Whereas I want to get over the idea of willingly accepting/being resigned to a unpleasant situation, without preparing for the risk of it worsening. According to Webster, "complacent" seems to correspond, but that doesn't help with the French equivalent. As said, the concept probably doesn't exist here, rather like "crises de foie" don't exist in English!
Old Apr 17th 2020, 8:57 am
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
"Suffisante" is the best I've found in French, but I still think it's too arrogant, in the sense of a smug know-all. Whereas I want to get over the idea of willingly accepting/being resigned to a unpleasant situation, without preparing for the risk of it worsening. According to Webster, "complacent" seems to correspond, but that doesn't help with the French equivalent. As said, the concept probably doesn't exist here, rather like "crises de foie" don't exist in English!
I asked eldest SD, she said that she thought that "suffisant(e)" would be the closest to the English term.
Old Mar 22nd 2023, 10:00 pm
Gloves off

Question Re: Useful French Phrases

Salut mes amis!

A question; having recently had my eyes opened to an English term (noun to be precise) that I had previously considered to be relatively inoffensive, but not, according to some others ...

This one (spoilered below) I also consider as inoffensive - despite what some of those "all knowing 'murcan" websites would have one believe.

Spoiler:
chacun sa merde

To me, this expression (very likely accompanied by "the shoulder shrug") is just saying "everyone has their own troubles" and nothing more.

Or did I have a mis-spent middle-age in Suisse Romande?