Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Useful French Phrases

Useful French Phrases

Old Jun 24th 2017, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Useful French Phrases

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, and welcome to the forum! Join in the various threads below or start a New Thread with info about yourself!
I, too, like using the expression "c'est chouette", but I seem to be the only one. The rest of the family (adult daughters and French in-laws) always say "c'est cool"!
I also like using their "J'y go", but I've never heard this outside the family circle and never say it to others...
I agree DMU, the expression "c'est chouette" although still heard, has been largely overtaken by "c'est cool". But the former is now generally regarded as ringard; there was a cringe-worthy song in the early 80's entitled 'C'est super chouette', and I shouldn't be surprised if many of those 45's were used as frisbee's. Personally if I'd had one of those records I would have put it to use as a ball-trapp target years ago.
As for "J'y go", that is truly cringe-worthy! Hope Macron puts a ban on it's use........
Old Jun 24th 2017, 2:18 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
As for "J'y go", that is truly cringe-worthy! Hope Macron puts a ban on it's use........
But... that's why you have l'Académie française.
Old Jun 24th 2017, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
But... that's why you have l'Académie française.
.......and Jean D'Ormesson. He's brilliant! Never tire of listening to him.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 10:57 pm
Just Joined

patricialloydmorris is an unknown quantity at this point

How do I meet all you fantastic English speaking ex pats? Moved to Begard in March and still can't find anyone who speaks English. Would love to meet up with other Brits, any suggestions please.

Patricia
Old Jun 28th 2017, 8:45 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by patricialloydmorris
How do I meet all you fantastic English speaking ex pats? Moved to Begard in March and still can't find anyone who speaks English. Would love to meet up with other Brits, any suggestions please.

Patricia
Hi again, I'm afraid you've posted in the wrong section. But you've posted in a thread in the main section below, so will soon "meet" us all, at least virtually.
I would suggest asking at your Mairie for a list of Clubs and Associations and join a few - you'll make friends with similar interests and there may even be English-speaking ones!
P.S. For those who don't know, Bégard is in the Côtes d'Armor! (I had to look it up!)

Last edited by dmu; Jun 28th 2017 at 8:47 am.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 10:16 am
Just Joined

Hi sorry about posting in the wrong section, I'll try to do better next time. Thanks for the suggestions, apparently there are very few English speaking or ex pats in Begard. Which means I'll have to step up the French lessons.

Patricia
Old Jun 29th 2017, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by patricialloydmorris
How do I meet all you fantastic English speaking ex pats? Moved to Begard in March and still can't find anyone who speaks English. Would love to meet up with other Brits, any suggestions please. Patricia
Broke out in a sweat for a second, I understood you were living with 'Bigard'.
For those who may not know, he's one of the best loved (or detested) French stand-up comics (+ actor), who tells the most evil jokes imaginable. Goes without saying - I like him!
To stay on topic of this 'useful French phrases' thread, seriously - it can be very useful to know a certain number of slang words, phrases and jokes, although I wouldn't especially recommended learning all those commonly used by Bigard. But for those advanced French speakers who wish to broaden their knowledge (and share evil jokes with rugby-playing friends or others in the local bistrot, check him out on YTube, XXXX rated - so at your own risk of course.
As an example, I've just posted one of his 'classics' in this forum's 'Bad Jokes' thread.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 7:09 am
Just Joined

That's what I love about ex pats, the sense of humour. I'd love to improve my vocabulary and slang words certainly would be very useful sometimes, especially down right rude ones!
Old Jul 10th 2017, 2:26 pm
RobB

Rob9422 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is that the same as : sling your hook
Old Jul 10th 2017, 2:28 pm
RobB

Rob9422 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ancient nautical phrase I think.
Old Jul 12th 2017, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rob9422
Is that the same as : sling your hook
Which phrase are you referring to exactly?
Old Nov 14th 2017, 12:58 am
Banned

FabRe is an unknown quantity at this point

your phrases are not very positve, many others can be useful
- let me present you... : laissez moi vous présenter...
- I would like to visit / go to ... : j'airais visiter / aller �
- do you know a good restaurant ? : connaissez vous un bon restaurant ?
Old Nov 14th 2017, 7:15 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FabRe
Hi and welcome to the France forum!
Sorry to be a nit-picker, but "I would like" is "Je voudrais". "J'irais visiter" is the conditional and means "I would visit" (if I were you/if I could...)

And "laissez-moi" and "connaissez-vous" take a hyphen!
Old Nov 14th 2017, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by FabRe
Methinks you weren't paying enough attention during your French lessons......
Old Nov 17th 2017, 7:24 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Not really a useful French phrase, but I've just heard on French radio that some police activities are too "chronophages". Is this being linguistically pretentious? It's in Larousse, but OH has never heard it used. Thank goodness for Greek (and Latin) roots to understand some words nowadays!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.