Reload this Page >

Process to become Self Employed in France

Process to become Self Employed in France

Old Jan 10th 2017, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

Cass555 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Process to become Self Employed in France

Hello
Currently living in France but my work location and company has always been outside France - I am British Passport holder married to France girl and my kids are French Passport holders.
I am considering becoming 'Self Employed' and working independently as a 'consultant'. This would be world wide locations with varies clients or sometimes the same client for periods of time. This would be my main income, not just extra work on the side.
Would like here suggestions on the best way to proceed - set up a company, or just set up as self employed.
The most important thing for me is to be finally fully integrated into the French system (Health & Tax etc) as this is PERMANENT.
I have so far researched and found out the process for Micro Entrepreneur - but this seems to be for extra work and you only allowed to earn so much (32,900 E).
Appreciate any help & advise from people who have done similar.
Regards
Old Jan 10th 2017, 5:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Process to become Self Employed in France

If micro entreprise is too restrictive, you really need to find an accountant or business advisor to help you. There are so many different business structures to choose from - all depends on your business model and your individual circumstances.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

WElcome to the forum!
Have you read through the link indicated below? There may be things there to help you.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/franc...france-869280/
Old Jan 10th 2017, 11:18 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
WElcome to the forum!
Have you read through the link indicated below? There may be things there to help you.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/franc...france-869280/

Valerie will sort you out!
Old Jan 15th 2017, 8:05 am
Just Joined

Hi
Thanks very much for response. Will take a look through the 'starting' business post.
Although I don't really want to start an actual business, Its only my attendance as a 'marine consultant' that I have to offer. Just thought there would be a simple process to declare yourself 'self employed' - just to legally submit my income to the authorities in France where I live.
I'm afraid my current standard of the French language will also not help me to go through all these steps in the old link.
Anyone recommend companies that can assist set something up.....!!!
Old Jan 15th 2017, 8:43 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cass555
Hi
Thanks very much for response. Will take a look through the 'starting' business post.
Although I don't really want to start an actual business, Its only my attendance as a 'marine consultant' that I have to offer. Just thought there would be a simple process to declare yourself 'self employed' - just to legally submit my income to the authorities in France where I live.
I'm afraid my current standard of the French language will also not help me to go through all these steps in the old link.
Anyone recommend companies that can assist set something up.....!!!
1) Nothing's simple in France!
2) Surely your French OH can help?
3) "Expert-Comptables" are there to advise and assist (look for a local one in the Pages Jaunes), and get your OH to accompany you to the consultation. Are your wife and children in the French S.S. System?
Old Jan 15th 2017, 9:08 am
Just Joined

Hiya !
1. Yes......!!! that's for sure
2. Yes off-course, she will help - just trying to do as much as I can on my own.
3. Many thanks - wasn't sure the name to search for. Will have a look.
Yes, my wife and my kids are currently living permanently in France and in the
French Social Security system.

We have just come back from a period working abroad. I have set up family back in France, but I have remained overseas for time being to keep in employment. But eventually will want to come back and be based in France. I will probably not work for a French company - so thought the easiest solution would be self employed, but based at home in France.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

I too would have thought that with a French wife your potential administration hurdles should be reduced to meer stepping stones.
As an example, Mme TP here serves for all intense and purposes as my French admin guide, and financial adviser. And I feel blessed that she gives me 50€ pocket-money/week - from my own life-earnt savings! Whether that would qualify as psychological violence or emotional abuse is a moot point.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

All I can say is I'm so happy for you both that you found such 'helpful and accommodating' partners. French wife's are so special ! and I really do mean that with affection and only a wee bit of humour !
Old Jan 15th 2017, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

But thank you all very much for taking the time to respond. I really do appreciate it and it has pointed me in the right direction - and I will get there in the end !!
Old Jan 15th 2017, 6:09 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cass555
All I can say is I'm so happy for you both that you found such 'helpful and accommodating' partners. French wife's are so special ! and I really do mean that with affection and only a wee bit of humour !
French husbands aren't bad, either!
Old Jan 16th 2017, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

south_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nice

I'm sure I have read in the past that it is possible for families to be split between different fiscal residences ie. wife and kids registered and resident in France and husband registered, resident and working in another country. That I think would overcome problems of earning your living outside of France, though you would have to declare money sent to your family as income for them and pay taxes on that. I know it is certainly possible the other way around ie. earn and pay s/s and tax in France, but get a deduction for money sent to a dependent in another household (France or abroad) which they then declare as income.

The important thing in my mind is that the family is covered for healthcare, schooling and all the administration that goes with it in the right country for them. There may also be limits on time that can be spent in your non-resident country. To be honest I have not looked into this set up in much detail but might be worth considering.
Old Jan 16th 2017, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by south_bound
I'm sure I have read in the past that it is possible for families to be split between different fiscal residences ie. wife and kids registered and resident in France and husband registered, resident and working in another country. That I think would overcome problems of earning your living outside of France, though you would have to declare money sent to your family as income for them and pay taxes on that. I know it is certainly possible the other way around ie. earn and pay s/s and tax in France, but get a deduction for money sent to a dependent in another household (France or abroad) which they then declare as income.

The important thing in my mind is that the family is covered for healthcare, schooling and all the administration that goes with it in the right country for them. There may also be limits on time that can be spent in your non-resident country. To be honest I have not looked into this set up in much detail but might be worth considering.
You don't register for fiscal residency - it is a matter of national laws and international treaties - you can't choose.
In France, your annual tax return is for the entire family and any overseas income and tax paid is declared in the appropriate section.
If your family is resident in a country and that is where your family home is then that is the country where your final tax is calculated.
Old Jan 16th 2017, 9:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

As said - under the French residence criteria, if France is where your family home is then France is where you are fiscally resident.
Plus, if the OP is working here there and everywhere, it's not obvious where else he would meet the criteria for residence - given that he says he is "currently living in France" - and everbody gotta be resident somewhere.
AFAIK, the only way for a married couple to avoid being taxed as a household in France, apart from possibly coming to a special arrangement with the fisc, is to tick the box to say you are legally separated. And it's pretty obvious to the world whether that is the case or not ;-)
Old Jan 16th 2017, 11:36 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
As said - under the French residence criteria, if France is where your family home is then France is where you are fiscally resident.
Plus, if the OP is working here there and everywhere, it's not obvious where else he would meet the criteria for residence - given that he says he is "currently living in France" - and everbody gotta be resident somewhere.
AFAIK, the only way for a married couple to avoid being taxed as a household in France, apart from possibly coming to a special arrangement with the fisc, is to tick the box to say you are legally separated. And it's pretty obvious to the world whether that is the case or not ;-)
Sorry ET, but I have to disagree with you. If you are married under "separation de biens" and elect to be taxed separately then both husband and wife can have seperate residences. This could be two different principal residences in France (with all the benfits which accrue such as reduced plus value on a sale) or you could be resident and taxed in different countries.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.