Reload this Page >

Seeking advice for a French move

Seeking advice for a French move

Old Jan 2nd 2018, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

Lo77aine is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Seeking advice for a French move

Hello!
This looks like the most active expat forum I have come across during my research so hopefully someone will be able to help me.
I lived in France for around 16 years as a youngster and my partner also lived there as a child so we have experience of what life in France is like. My brother stills lives in France and so we are pretty knowledgeable about the realities of a big move.

Having lived and worked in the UK for 20 years now, we have decided that we would like to return to France (it's almost like having been homesick). Our aim is to head for the Aquitaine area. Our first decision is whether to look for a business to run or whether to go into gainful employment (any views on this?). My partner is high up in the IT world but doesn't have the 'technical French' required.

So, the reason for my post: I have done a lot of research into exploring expat IT roles but wondered if anyone can help with anything further: best places to look, list of English businesses, companies, names.... anything that might help really etc etc.

I am an assistant head of a primary school but I know that I would be very hard pushed to work in a similar sort of arena although I have been looking at international schools.

Anyway, thanks very much in advance for any suggestions or guidance.

Lorraine
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 2:26 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Seeking advice for a French move

Originally Posted by Lo77aine
Hello!
This looks like the most active expat forum I have come across during my research so hopefully someone will be able to help me.
I lived in France for around 16 years as a youngster and my partner also lived there as a child so we have experience of what life in France is like. My brother stills lives in France and so we are pretty knowledgeable about the realities of a big move.

Having lived and worked in the UK for 20 years now, we have decided that we would like to return to France (it's almost like having been homesick). Our aim is to head for the Aquitaine area. Our first decision is whether to look for a business to run or whether to go into gainful employment (any views on this?). My partner is high up in the IT world but doesn't have the 'technical French' required.

So, the reason for my post: I have done a lot of research into exploring expat IT roles but wondered if anyone can help with anything further: best places to look, list of English businesses, companies, names.... anything that might help really etc etc.

I am an assistant head of a primary school but I know that I would be very hard pushed to work in a similar sort of arena although I have been looking at international schools.

Anyway, thanks very much in advance for any suggestions or guidance.

Lorraine
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
Can't help on the IT front, except to suggest aiming for Occitanie rather than Nouvelle Aquitaine (Toulouse possibly being more IT-inclined).
You have to be of French nationality to teach in (and "direct") French State schools, but check private and international schools in the areas you're interested in. For the former, you'd have to validate your UK diplomas - you must have mastered French Grammar and the French methods of tackling maths in your youth? This is indispensable, as, in my experience, the head of a Primaire is also a teacher.
As "partners", read the relevant thread in the Read-Me: Moving to France FAQs above. Bureaucratic France isn't "partner"-friendly in many aspects, and couples not legally bound are often advised to get married before they arrive, to make life less complicated....
Hope this helps a little!
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

Great to get a response and thanks too for the advice. I have just bestowed the 'bad' news on my other half....that he may have to marry me before we go!!
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at Sophia Antipolis for international companies including IT.
May be a good place to find teaching jobs also.
I agree about getting married especially for things like healthcare and, if the worst happens, inheritance tax.
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cyrian
Have a look at Sophia Antipolis for international companies including IT.
May be a good place to find teaching jobs also.
I agree about getting married especially for things like healthcare and, if the worst happens, inheritance tax.
Thanks so much - every little bit of advice helps.😊
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

south_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nice

You could consider an international company with offices in France and get a transfer, either secondment to start with or a full transfer. I found that route much easier and more successful than applying directly to French employers from abroad though it did mean working out of the UK office initially and with no guarantee of a move until I had proved myself. I would have thought that IT focused companies would be more open to that idea than your run of the mill french business whereby you don't tick all the boxes perfectly.

As for teaching, you might need to get creative by looking at non-traditional roles eg. companies located in areas with high level of expats often offer English language training to their employees or need multi-lingual admin people and would value native (or near-native) English speakers regardless of previous employment history. I think that would be better done once in place when you can go and meet people face to face.
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 4:28 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Demand here for Lucent Alcatel or Cisco engineers with telecoms orientated skills.... It's a good place to up skill into....
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice south_bound....as long as one of us can get a decent job we will be fine. Of course the other thing is to take on an already established business but not sure that’s the right thing to do.
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
Demand here for Lucent Alcatel or Cisco engineers with telecoms orientated skills.... It's a good place to up skill into....
Worth a google - thank you. It’s really helpful.
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

Globalbloke is an unknown quantity at this point

I’m Lo77aine’s partner (soon to be husband so it seems ), thanks for all the advice so far. As for IT companies I understood there was a shortage in France so I was hoping it may be an easy switch. I’m currently a Head of IT in a global organisation with global teams in the US, Israel, Geneva so I have the international experience of managing teams.

I (like Lo77aine) also lived in France but for only 5 years and went to an International school outside of Paris, absolutely loved my time there and really want to go back and live. Any other IT pointers would be fantastic, I am scanning the boards each day to find out what is out there, at the moment the pickings seem slim but that might be to do with the time of year.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 1:59 am
Just Joined

Caerus is an unknown quantity at this point

You might want to check out Total Energy. I believe they have a large presence in Pau and may be open to hiring English speaking IT professionals. Good luck.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 6:38 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lo77aine
Thanks for the advice south_bound....as long as one of us can get a decent job we will be fine. Of course the other thing is to take on an already established business but not sure that’s the right thing to do.
The one who hasn't got a job, and in fact both of you until one of you does have a job, must take out private healthcare insurance. This is compulsory from Day 1 in order to comply with one of the conditions for residency after 3 months.
All the while you're an unrelated couple, the one who doesn't have a job must comply with the "minimum income" condition for residency.
If you rent at the beginning, you'd be in a "flat-share" together, each with all the financial conditions set down by potential landlords (see "Renting" thread in the FAQs). You'd have to ensure that the rental receipts and at least one Utility Bill are in both names in order to "justify domicile" for all French Administrations.
If you buy property jointly, the Notaire will advise on how best to protect your respective interests ("Inheritance" thread).
I'm not a maiden aunt from Victorian times, I just want to make you aware of the practical complications if you're not legally bound!
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 7:00 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Globalbloke
I’m Lo77aine’s partner (soon to be husband so it seems ), thanks for all the advice so far. As for IT companies I understood there was a shortage in France so I was hoping it may be an easy switch. I’m currently a Head of IT in a global organisation with global teams in the US, Israel, Geneva so I have the international experience of managing teams.

I (like Lo77aine) also lived in France but for only 5 years and went to an International school outside of Paris, absolutely loved my time there and really want to go back and live. Any other IT pointers would be fantastic, I am scanning the boards each day to find out what is out there, at the moment the pickings seem slim but that might be to do with the time of year.
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
It might be better to start a separate thread for your job prospects.
Unfortunately the economic situation has been bleak all-year-round, but 2018 might be the year when things improve...
Old Jan 5th 2018, 8:44 am
Just Joined

Robert 4455 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Please can anyone help I have a property in France where my French Partner and son live I want to move there myself and become a dual British /French Citizen ,Ive been to the dept social security in Cahors France where they informed me of what I need including a S1 Form to become a French Citizen as above ie dual citizenship,I am british born and bred with a full British passport ,When I downloaded a UK Gov S1 form from the internet it was a form to become a British for a person from a stateless country which I dont want ,I went back to Cahors office and they told me this was not the correct S1 I need Apparently im to get one from Newcastle to become a French Citizen But they offer no further advice than that ,Please can anyone please help me im now at a loss regards where to contact Ive viewed all the UK Gov sites and seem to be of little help I want an address or phone number where I can speak to a live person to get the correct S1 form I need
Old Jan 5th 2018, 9:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

The S1 that CPAM is talking about is nothing to do with gaining French citizenship. It's to do with social security, and specifically, with which EU country is responsible for your healthcare. In certain circumstances, the UK will issue an S1 which confirms that France can reclaim the cost of providing you with medical treatment, from the UK. You would be eligible for this form if, for instance, you are retired and in receipt of a UK state pension. But it wouldn't make you a French citizen.

I think you're confusing becoming a citizen and becoming a resident. Not everyone who is resident in France, is a French citizen. Obtaining French citizenship is quite a big deal. If you and your French partner aren't married then in order to obtain citizenship you'd need to prove you've been living legally in France for at least 5 years. It's quite an expensive process, it takes a long time and involves providing lots and lots of paperwork and going for an interview at the Préfecture where they check that you have a good knowledge of France, French history and culture and the responsibilities of a French citizen. You also need to be competent in the French language. If you are married the process is slightly quicker easier. Becoming resident, on the other hand, simply involves moving to France and living there. The social security department will need confirmation that you are resident in France but they aren't interested in whether or not you're a French citizen; at present if you're British then you're an EU citizen, and French and EU citizens are basically treated the same as far as social security, healthcare etc are concerned.

What CPAM does need to know is, how do you qualify for healthcare in France. There are different ways of qualifying, and which route you take will depend on your circumstances. One route is, as they have said, to obtain an S1 from the UK, but without knowing your situation it's impossible to say whether or not you're entitled to one; not everybody is. Another route to healthcare is by having a job or running a business in France. The third route is by exercising your right to live in France as an economically inactive EU citizen. If you use this third route, you will need to prove to CPAM that you have lived in France for at least 3 months and that you have sufficient income to support yourself. Once you've provided all the paperwork and your dossier is complete, you'll be given a national insurance number. You'll then be charged annual healthcare contributions (a bit like NICs) based on your income.

If you think you might be eligible for an S1, speak to the Overseas team in Newcastle. I found this, not sure if it's up to date or not:

Overseas Healthcare Team, Durham House Washington, Tyne & Wear NE38 7SF United Kingdom. Phone: +44 191 218 1999. Fax: +44 191 225 2131. Email: [email protected]. URL: http://www.nhs.uk/Healthcareabroad/P...areabroad.aspx.

Hope this helps. Forget about French citizenship for now; you may be able to apply in four or five years' time if it's important to you.

Last edited by EuroTrash; Jan 5th 2018 at 9:51 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.