Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Urgent -Local Primary School Information Paris/Western Suburbs

Urgent -Local Primary School Information Paris/Western Suburbs

Old Apr 21st 2012, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

Emmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to all
Default Urgent -Local Primary School Information Paris/Western Suburbs

Hi there,

Once again I'm having to post on here, this time rather urgently as we have 7 days to decide whether to take up the offer of work in Paris.

The work side of things sounds good but our only worry now is our children.

My husband will be working in La Défense area of the city so we are considering either living in a tiny apartment in the city, and perhaps sending our children to a local school there, or to the Italian primary school (my children are also Italian citizens).

Alternatively we are looking at areas within commuting distance, to the West of the city.

We have done some research into French schooling, and the main factor detering us from making a fixed decision now is the thought that the schooling is, for want of a better word, old school in style - very tough, selective and compartmentalist.

If someone knows of a good primary school but in particular a welcoming, warm and nurturing local primary school either in the city (15eme, 16eme, 9eme, 6eme, 1ere - really anywhere to the West of the city) or in the Western suburbs please, please, please let me know.

We have decided to do the sensible parenting thing, and decide on a neighbourhood based on the possibility of a good school!

Our children would struggle, in a tough, old fashioned environment, as much as people complain about the "dumbing down" of schooling in the UK now. They would need the nurture, especially being new and foreign. They are used to travelling but have always had the support of international schooling. This is not something we can afford realistically any more, and, moreover we would like to settle down now and integrate fully.

Also, any information on alternative schooling, although not more than 5k/child/annum, would be gratefully accepted.

I'm so terribly sorry for the excess of messages on the forum at the moment but this is the only way I think we can make up our minds as there is little other information.

Please feel free to be biased, subjective and to send me a private message if you prefer!

Thank you so, so much in advance.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Urgent -Local Primary School Information Paris/Western Suburbs

Here's my few centimes worth.
I believe you are worrying far more about this move than you need to, especially regarding your children's education.
In your other threads I note comments like, "I'm actually quite worried……. etc……….prospect of living in Paris scares me in much the same way etc.....we're also slightly worried about the state schooling as I understand it's quite tough"….etc.
The fact that you are doing the necessary ground-work before the move is very commendable. Many Britts don't, and subsequently often have only themselves to blame.
However, in my humble opinion your unnecessary worrying over the past few weeks will have been sensed by the child/children, and will probably have had more of a negative effect than the remote possibility of finding a 'bad' state school. As another regular poster here recently pointed out, they'd never heard of a 'bad' primaire in France - neither have I, but I'd be the first to agree that some schools are better than others. C'est la vie! It's the same the world over.
As for you wanting to find a "welcoming, warm and nurturing local primary school", well I certainly didn't have one in England, and it doesn't appear to have derailed me - some of our regular readers here may dispute that however......
If it's of any interest, we put our young son into 2 French primaire knowing nothing about them, and things turned out well. Sometime later we took him out of a French International school (not in Paris) due to the increasing use of drugs in and around the playground, in the school bus etc. Our son indicated this to us and fortunately he was very supportive of a change of school.
My advise? Sit down comfortably with your child/children and explain that the family are just about to set out on another exciting adventure (I did this many times with our children), and explain that in the very unlikely event that things do not turn out as expected, you will find another solution. My motto has always been 'keep things simple,' even though my professional lifestyle and the multiple overseas moves occasionally made this difficult.
Bon courage!
Old Apr 21st 2012, 1:37 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
I believe you are worrying far more about this move than you need to, especially regarding your children's education.
In your other threads I note comments like, "I'm actually quite worried……. etc……….prospect of living in Paris scares me in much the same way etc.....we're also slightly worried about the state schooling as I understand it's quite tough"….etc.
The fact that you are doing the necessary ground-work before the move is very commendable. Many Britts don't, and subsequently often have only themselves to blame.
However, in my humble opinion your unnecessary worrying over the past few weeks will have been sensed by the child/children, and will probably have had more of a negative effect than the remote possibility of finding a 'bad' state school. As another regular poster here recently pointed out, they'd never heard of a 'bad' primaire in France - neither have I, but I'd be the first to agree that some schools are better than others. C'est la vie! It's the same the world over.
As for you wanting to find a "welcoming, warm and nurturing local primary school", well I certainly didn't have one in England, and it doesn't appear to have derailed me - some of our regular readers here may dispute that however......
If it's of any interest, we put our young son into 2 French primaire knowing nothing about them, and things turned out well. Sometime later we took him out of a French International school (not in Paris) due to the increasing use of drugs in and around the playground, in the school bus etc. Our son indicated this to us and fortunately he was very supportive of a change of school.
My advise? Sit down comfortably with your child/children and explain that the family are just about to set out on another exciting adventure (I did this many times with our children), and explain that in the very unlikely event that things do not turn out as expected, you will find another solution. My motto has always been 'keep things simple,' even though my professional lifestyle and the multiple overseas moves occasionally made this difficult.
Bon courage!
I have to be honest I had come to the conclusion that smoking and drug use is on the curriculum in France.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
I have to be honest I had come to the conclusion that smoking and drug use is on the curriculum in France.
LOL
Old Apr 21st 2012, 3:31 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

It's really quite stressful living in Paris, even in "nice" arrondissements. Noisy streets, noisy neighbours, polluted air, rude Parisians.... If you decide on the Italian School, is it in the 7ème? This is an expensive area - the east side of the 15ème is cheaper, but live within walking distance! Your OH would have different possibilities of getting to La Défense by Métro.
IMHO you'd be better in one of the suburbs mentioned in the other thread to the west or south of La Défense, where people are more zen...
Good luck with your decision and congratulations to your OH for being offered the job!
Old Apr 21st 2012, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!

The drug issue is one thing, but it's the way they encourage them to splash on garlic after-shave from the age of 16 which is shocking! And as for the boys......
Old Apr 21st 2012, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

Emmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Bon courage!
Thanks for giving me the well-deserved shake that I need! I'll shut up now and get on with things. I'm ashamed to say I've been doing this for over 12 years, but for some reason this Paris move is really draining me! Kids are completely fine - totally excited about the move as they've always had a great time with each new adventure. It's just their tired mother who's feeling the secret strain!

Thanks again for the shake and I'll stop worrying.

xx