Reload this Page >

Unskilled work in France

Unskilled work in France

Old Oct 28th 2014, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

JuliaD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Unskilled work in France

Hello!

I may well be approaching some sort of mid life crisis (I'm 39) and have become disillusioned with my career here in Glasgow, Scotland. Something that I have always dreamt of, but never had the courage to so, is to live and work in France for some time, say 6 months. I was wondering what my prospects would be for finding work - say in a hotel or cafe, and where to start. Is it best to find work whilst you are in the country and which city would be a good place to go?? Any help/ encoragement would be appreciated! Thanks Julia
Old Oct 28th 2014, 7:56 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unskilled work in France

Originally Posted by JuliaD
Hello!

I may well be approaching some sort of mid life crisis (I'm 39) and have become disillusioned with my career here in Glasgow, Scotland. Something that I have always dreamt of, but never had the courage to so, is to live and work in France for some time, say 6 months. I was wondering what my prospects would be for finding work - say in a hotel or cafe, and where to start. Is it best to find work whilst you are in the country and which city would be a good place to go?? Any help/ encoragement would be appreciated! Thanks Julia
Inevitable 1st question. Do speak french?

<welcome to the forum>
Old Oct 28th 2014, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

Hi, I have basic/intermediate French only. I'd use my time in France to become more proficient.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Inevitable 1st question. Do speak french?

<welcome to the forum>
+1, welcome.

Hi, I have basic/intermediate French only. I'd use my time in France to become more proficient.
If you're looking for a change of scenery, & earning sh**te wages/tough conditions are not a problem, try UK companies which recruit for seasonal (ski resorts and/or campsite etc) jobs. Without fluent (read bilingual) French, and local knowledge/experience, you will find it hard to break into the unskilled job market.

Have a look at natives.co.uk, & similar sites.

Good luck !

S

Last edited by Shirtback; Oct 28th 2014 at 8:25 pm. Reason: Added site
Old Oct 28th 2014, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

Ok thanks, not what I wanted to hear but good to have a reality check. The workaway website may well be the best place to find temporary work (unpaid) in that case.

Julia
Old Oct 28th 2014, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

Australian Andew will become famous soon enoughAustralian Andew will become famous soon enough

Hi there i am an Australian who has moved to France 6 weeks ago. i am here on a working Holiday visa.
I would say go for it.
the people are friendly... i speak next to know French but have picked a bit up and having a great time
Old Oct 28th 2014, 8:36 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hello!

Hi, and welcome to the Forum!
Another point, apart from whether you speak French, is the question of accommodation. Hotel or café jobs (if you found one) are very poorly paid and you wouldn't have much left to live on after the rent and utilities have been paid. Furnished appartments are quite rare, and spare rooms in most flat-shares are unfurnished.
If you come over with enough savings to last you the 6 months, then go for it and try your luck on the spot. If you don't find work, treat it as an extended holiday or sabbatical. But be warned that the unemployment situation in France is dire, and qualified jobseekers are often reduced to working in the hospitality trade in order to survive.
I can't suggest a particular city to try - a town with plenty of tourist attractions would have more hotels/cafés, but the rent would be higher....
All the best, but if you don't speak French or another language, then I would strongly advise you to go somewhere where English is spoken (rest of UK, Eire, ....)
P.S. You could look on Wwoof, Helpx, etc.. sites, but check that you're not outside the age range.

Last edited by dmu; Oct 28th 2014 at 8:41 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Australian Andew
Hi there i am an Australian who has moved to France 6 weeks ago. i am here on a working Holiday visa.
I would say go for it.
the people are friendly... i speak next to know French but have picked a bit up and having a great time
Hmmm, next to no English too...

This is poor advice. At 39 years old I'm thinking Julia is wanting a change of scenery/career and is not wanting to start globe trotting. In these times, and especially in France, you can't just "go for it" unless you won last weekends Euromillion lottery...
Old Oct 28th 2014, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Ok thanks, not what I wanted to hear but good to have a reality check. The workaway website may well be the best place to find temporary work (unpaid) in that case.

Julia
I edited my post to add a website where paid (albeit very badly) jobs are available, most include (sometimes very basic) accommodation.

Thinking on the lines of short-term jobs, there's also nannying/home help ... Try The Lady.

S
Old Oct 28th 2014, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

Australian Andew will become famous soon enoughAustralian Andew will become famous soon enough

next to know English? because i cant see the point in wasting all my time making sure everything is perfect ...plumber....(BE ENTHUISAST)

Last edited by Australian Andew; Oct 28th 2014 at 9:09 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

Well, many thanks all for the comments - I always thought I would need a purpose to go to France, i.e a job , but as you suggest maybe I need to bite the bullet and just go for it, with the knowlege that I may not find anything, but that it would be a good life experience either way. At this age it is a bit harder to have a carefree attitude like that but if I don't do it now I probably never will. Cheers!
Old Oct 28th 2014, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hello!

Hi and welcome.
What is your career in Glasgow?
Scotland and the UK in general are not bad places to be.
However, you are 39 and you feel that you would like to try your hand at anther country. You do not speak the language and unless you are in employment you will not be covered for healthcare for unforeseen emergencies and you can't fall back on benefits. In addition you may not be able to rent somewhere to stay.
The unemployment rate in France is twice that of the UK.
i.e. there are twice as many people in France looking for each job then in the UK.
Sorry if that sounds pessimistic but France is just keech for job prospects just now.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
Hi and welcome.
What is your career in Glasgow?
Scotland and the UK in general are not bad places to be.
However, you are 39 and you feel that you would like to try your hand at anther country. You do not speak the language and unless you are in employment you will not be covered for healthcare for unforeseen emergencies and you can't fall back on benefits. In addition you may not be able to rent somewhere to stay.
The unemployment rate in France is twice that of the UK.
i.e. there are twice as many people in France looking for each job then in the UK.
Sorry if that sounds pessimistic but France is just keech for job prospects just now.

+1
Old Oct 28th 2014, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

I work as a property manager here in Scotland. I had no idea the job situation was so poor in France. However, unpaid work with accommodation thrown in is an option to fall back on as is an extended holiday
Old Oct 28th 2014, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

Yes plumber boy i am a convict because i am a Aussie.
Why shouldnt she go for it?
because you wouldnt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.