Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Un coup de baguette tragique

Un coup de baguette tragique

Old Jan 13th 2022, 7:11 pm
  #1  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Tweedpipe's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Halfway between Ricard & Absynthe
Posts: 4,107
Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Un coup de baguette tragique

The cleverly worded title, 'A tragic wave of the wand', a close pun of 'a magic wand trick' has been all over the news media today, with especially long coverage on tv news this evening. Link HERE.
A controversy is raging following the decision by one of the largest supermarkets to sell baguettes in all their stores for the knockdown price of 0,29 centimes. It's been announced that this price will remain unchanged for at least 4 months.
Not surprisingly this announcement has met with the wrath of those in the wheat sector, cereal growers, millers, and especially the bakers, especially as the price of wheat has rapidly escalated to a near all-time record this year. It's often said that the baguette is a benchmark of the evolution of prices and purchasing power for consumers.
On a lighter note I couldn't help smiling on seeing that LeClerc also sell a popular kids item named, Baguette Hermione. the price of which currently equates today to 58 of their baguettes.

Tweedpipe is offline  
Old Jan 14th 2022, 7:00 am
  #2  
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Hérault (34)
Posts: 8,680
dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Un coup de baguette tragique

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe View Post
The cleverly worded title, 'A tragic wave of the wand', a close pun of 'a magic wand trick' has been all over the news media today, with especially long coverage on tv news this evening. Link HERE.
A controversy is raging following the decision by one of the largest supermarkets to sell baguettes in all their stores for the knockdown price of 0,29 centimes. It's been announced that this price will remain unchanged for at least 4 months.
Not surprisingly this announcement has met with the wrath of those in the wheat sector, cereal growers, millers, and especially the bakers, especially as the price of wheat has rapidly escalated to a near all-time record this year. It's often said that the baguette is a benchmark of the evolution of prices and purchasing power for consumers.
On a lighter note I couldn't help smiling on seeing that LeClerc also sell a popular kids item named, Baguette Hermione. the price of which currently equates today to 58 of their baguettes.
Bravo for the title!
If I had a Leclerc here, I certainly wouldn't buy their baguettes, I can understand the professionals' wrath, but I rarely buy baguettes anyway (I prefer "pains spéciaux").
I had to check the Baguette Hermione - I thought it was something used on the ship of the same name!
dmu is offline  
Old Jan 14th 2022, 10:35 am
  #3  
Quien no sabe
 
Chatter Static's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,977
Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Un coup de baguette tragique

I never get a baguette it’s so over cooked here if fall over on the way home I might stab myself. They got offended when I asked if they would mind pulling one of the loaves out 10 minutes before they were done.
Chatter Static is offline  
Old Jan 14th 2022, 12:07 pm
  #4  
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Hérault (34)
Posts: 8,680
dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Un coup de baguette tragique

Originally Posted by Chatter Static View Post
I never get a baguette it’s so over cooked here if fall over on the way home I might stab myself. They got offended when I asked if they would mind pulling one of the loaves out 10 minutes before they were done.
I don't know whether the "Marie Blachère" chain is found nationwide, but I used to buy "baguettes blanches" which are lovely and doughy and you can finish baking them at home if you want. No risk of inadvertently committing hara-kiri!
dmu is offline  
Old Jan 17th 2022, 6:16 am
  #5  
BE Forum Addict
 
G-J-B's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Paris
Posts: 1,521
G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Un coup de baguette tragique

It's funny because when I was a kid we'd mock the French for their lack of hygiene (not sure where it all came from), but when I came to France I found they mocked the Brits for their lack of it. Anyhow, I was put off baguettes in Paris, when on several occasions I'd see people drop them on the pavement, pick them up, and continue to nibble on them. The best I saw was out in the sticks, when a man bought his baguette (unsheaved) and let his dog carry it for him in his mouth. :O
G-J-B is offline  
Old Jan 17th 2022, 4:50 pm
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Tweedpipe's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Halfway between Ricard & Absynthe
Posts: 4,107
Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Un coup de baguette tragique

Originally Posted by dmu View Post
I don't know whether the "Marie Blachère" chain is found nationwide, but I used to buy "baguettes blanches" which are lovely and doughy and you can finish baking them at home if you want. No risk of inadvertently committing hara-kiri!
Yes, Marie Blachère have more than 600 stores all over France, with quite a number in our department.
I must confess I'm a real bread 'amateur'. I absolutely love French bread, but only when it's been lovingly created and tastes really good. If buying from an unknown store, I'll smell it first, then press a baguette between 2 fingers listening for how crisp it sounds. The real secret is the density and on breaking it open observing the air pockets. My wife's father and grandfather were bakers here. Because of the silly hours they used to work, she didn't see enough of her father. Early mornings preparing for school he'd already gone to bed after working from 10pm until 7am, 7 days a week, dying in his early 40's. I regret never having met him, or especially never tasting 'his bread'.
For those who enjoy a good G-R-O-A-N, sit down, make yourself comfortable with a cup (or glass) of your favourite brew, as HERE's something you will either love or loave.......(that was your prompt for the first groan)!
Tweedpipe is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.