Reload this Page >

UK votes to leave

UK votes to leave

Old Jul 20th 2016, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

Angelil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK votes to leave

Originally Posted by cyrian
Sorry, I can't help with your specific question but Brexit would not apply to your situation because you can apply for French nationality through marriage.
France is not going to expel Brits because they do not want 400k to 500k french citizens expelled from the UK.
Why don't you just wait until the 10 years.
Brits could live and work in France before the EU - they just had to apply for a carte de sejour.
You still need the same documents even if you are applying for French nationality through marriage.

I frankly do not trust the European authorities to be kind to Brits abroad. And nobody has given us any kind of assurance as to what will happen.

My reasoning is that I would rather be treated like crap by the sous-préfecture just the once, rather than every year when renewing a carte de séjour (I have heard plenty of stories from my non-EU friends living in France).

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Based solely on my knowledge of what is required by Canadian authorities, you need the full police certificate.
Yes - this is along the lines of what I was thinking too. Is it more detailed than a subject access request? Does anyone here know?

The Metropolitan Police
, however, says: "The UK police do not issue "certificates of good conduct" or "police clearance certificates", however in our experience foreign embassies will generally accept a police reply under the subject access provisions of the Data Protection Act 1998 as a suitable equivalent."

Originally Posted by dmu
I applied for French nationality by dint of marrying a Frenchman, but this was over 30 years ago and it seems that some of the required documents, among other things, have changed since then.
What's the French expression for "subject access request"? I was able to get an "Extrait de Casier Judiciaire" as I had been living in France for longer than 10 years at the time, and I see your problem, as per
https://www.service-public.fr/partic...osdroits/F2726
At the time, it was the Tribunal that decided on foreign spouses taking French nationality, not the Préfecture.
Sorry I haven't been much help, but it was so long ago and things have changed. If you can't get the police certificate of good conduct from the UK, you may have to wait until the 10 years have passed.
Or, apply for French naturalisation by dint of having lived here for more than 5 years, French OH or no French OH, as per
https://www.service-public.fr/partic...osdroits/F2213
Good luck!!
Thanks. Sadly I need the 'extrait de casier judiciaire' and the UK equivalent (technically a 'certificate of good conduct' is what is requested) This would be much easier if only any of the authorities could tell me exactly which one (subject access request or police certificate) is required.

Last edited by Angelil; Jul 20th 2016 at 4:14 pm.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 4:54 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angelil

Thanks. Sadly I need the 'extrait de casier judiciaire' and the UK equivalent (technically a 'certificate of good conduct' is what is requested) This would be much easier if only any of the authorities could tell me exactly which one (subject access request or police certificate) is required.
Pardon my ignorance, but I don't know what this is in English. What's the French equivalent?
Old Jul 20th 2016, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

No idea! This is part of the problem I'm facing

Linguee gives "une demande d'accès" as the most common translation, but that is a very general term and I'm not entirely sure that it covers it:
subject access request - Traduction fran�aise – Linguee
Old Jul 20th 2016, 8:09 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Linguee gives "une demande d'accès" as the most common translation, but that is a very general term and I'm not entirely sure that it covers it:
I did a bit of digging and it seems the Met thinks that a subject access request is good enough for the EU.

I think the UK is still in the EU, so try it that way.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Jul 20th 2016 at 8:14 pm.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

For now, yes. But even once you've amassed all the correct paperwork, it takes 1-2 years to all be processed - by which time the UK may well be very much on its way out of the EU, and the rush starting for Brits wishing to acquire French nationality. My wish is to be ahead of the game.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 8:23 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

For now, yes. But even once you've amassed all the correct paperwork, it takes 1-2 years to all be processed - by which time the UK may well be very much on its way out of the EU, and the rush starting for Brits wishing to acquire French nationality. My wish is to be ahead of the game.
I don't blame you, but other routes for you to get a French passport have already been suggested.

I wish I was so lucky.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 8:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Pardon my ignorance, but I don't know what this is in English. What's the French equivalent?
A Subject Access Request is a request under the Data Protection Act for any/all data held logged against your name.

As the DPA was the result of an EU directive, there ought to be equivalent French legislation with equivalent rights to request a copy of any personal data held. It has nothing to do with your police or criminal record as you can file a Subject Access Request to any business or organization that holds a file of your personal data.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 20th 2016 at 8:36 pm.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 8:52 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
A Subject Access Request is a request under the Data Protection Act for any/all data held logged against your name.

As the DPA was the result of an EU directive, there ought to be equivalent French legislation with equivalent rights to request a copy of any personal data held. It has nothing to do with your police or criminal record as you can file a Subject Access Request to any business or organization that holds a file of your personal data.
Thanks for the info.
As I said, things have changed since last century and that strange expression didn't exist...
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Hollande's promise to British expats living in France - The Connexion

I know it's Connexion but this may ease a few minds.
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

Sadly I don't consider waiting to be an option. I have now spoken to my husband about it in more detail (he is in the south of France at the moment, with his parents, while I am in the UK with mine) and he thinks the police certificate is more appropriate, based exactly on what's just been said above this.

It's a shame that the police certificate is the more difficult and expensive one to get, but whatever
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Let me start by saying that I've never applied for French nationality, and frankly cannot see a situation where I will need one - Brexit notwithstanding.

May I make a suggestion? If you can get the French authorities to issue you an extrait de casier judicidaire, I believe everything else should fall neatly into position.
Check out this link. & HERE
On the one which says 'Vous êtes né(e) hors de France', clicking on the link 'Faite votre demande en ligne' brings up the part to complete - for those individuals who were not born in France.
A short while ago, I completed this and received my extrait de casier judicidaire without any problem, despite the fact that I had not lived in France for 10 consecutive years prior to making the demand. I had however lived in France for a number of years before that.
(The reason for me wanting this was that I'd been requested to submit an extrait de casier judicidaire as one of the multitude of documents required to renew a French firearm certificate, initially issued in 1996).
All I can say is that French authorities do have on file (or know where to obtain all relevant information) about an individual in order to issue an extrait de casier judicidaire.
If it were me in your position, before presenting your completed French nationality request portfolio (2 copies of cerfa 15277*02 dated & signed, plus all other docs requested as detailed here- pièces a fournir), I would make a prior rdv to speak to someone at the prefecture or wherever, to ensure that everything was in order, and especially to mention that certificates of good conduct or police clearance certificates are not documents generally issued by your country of birth. And take a note of the name and details of the person who interviews you and the date, and add that significant info in your portfolio.
As for a 'subject access request', nowhere can I see that this is a requirement for your French nationality dossier.

And returning full circle to my opening statement, I often like to recall those words of Cecil Rhodes, "You are an Englishman, and have subsequently drawn the greatest prize in the lottery of life."
And imho, if one insists on 'going native', a much cheaper and considerably less stressful action would be simply to buy a beret - black of course.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Jul 22nd 2016 at 6:55 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 8:43 am
Just Joined

frugeois is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by audio
Hollande's promise to British expats living in France - The Connexion

I know it's Connexion but this may ease a few minds.
Very interesting but Mr Hollande cannot guarantee he will be in the seat for the may day celebrations ! His government may be replaced by this time next year. The front runner in the presidential race is not in favour of the le Touquet agreement neither is the Regional president of the Haut de France region. The french side of the Straits are in his patch. neither Mr Hollande nor Mrs May mentioned anything about social security arrangements , health care in particular. I would think this s a big concern for aged UK citizens resident in France. Will form S1 still be accepted ? I believe there will be bilateral agreements between the UK and France, external of the EU as there will be betwwen the UK and other countries where ther are UK Citizens in residence , Spain for instance. It is a question of wait and see.

Last edited by frugeois; Jul 23rd 2016 at 8:44 am. Reason: two words missing from text
Old Jul 25th 2016, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Let me start by saying that I've never applied for French nationality, and frankly cannot see a situation where I will need one - Brexit notwithstanding.

May I make a suggestion? If you can get the French authorities to issue you an extrait de casier judicidaire, I believe everything else should fall neatly into position.
Check out this link. & HERE
On the one which says 'Vous êtes né(e) hors de France', clicking on the link 'Faite votre demande en ligne' brings up the part to complete - for those individuals who were not born in France.
A short while ago, I completed this and received my extrait de casier judicidaire without any problem, despite the fact that I had not lived in France for 10 consecutive years prior to making the demand. I had however lived in France for a number of years before that.
(The reason for me wanting this was that I'd been requested to submit an extrait de casier judicidaire as one of the multitude of documents required to renew a French firearm certificate, initially issued in 1996).
All I can say is that French authorities do have on file (or know where to obtain all relevant information) about an individual in order to issue an extrait de casier judicidaire.
If it were me in your position, before presenting your completed French nationality request portfolio (2 copies of cerfa 15277*02 dated & signed, plus all other docs requested as detailed here- pièces a fournir), I would make a prior rdv to speak to someone at the prefecture or wherever, to ensure that everything was in order, and especially to mention that certificates of good conduct or police clearance certificates are not documents generally issued by your country of birth. And take a note of the name and details of the person who interviews you and the date, and add that significant info in your portfolio.
As for a 'subject access request', nowhere can I see that this is a requirement for your French nationality dossier.

And returning full circle to my opening statement, I often like to recall those words of Cecil Rhodes, "You are an Englishman, and have subsequently drawn the greatest prize in the lottery of life."
And imho, if one insists on 'going native', a much cheaper and considerably less stressful action would be simply to buy a beret - black of course.
Thanks for your detailed and helpful reply.
I have requested an extrait de casier judiciaire before, when I required police clearance for a work placement in the UK. This was very quick and easy to obtain, as you have said. Sadly my UK employer did not accept it and as a result, because I work with children, I had to be accompanied by a colleague at all times and never left alone with the students.
The Brits should have accepted it - but were unaware of EU law that this was equivalent to a UK police check, and so did not.

I am therefore extremely cautious when it comes to ensuring that I have all of the correct documentation in place to obtain French nationality. Unfortunately it is my understanding that I require a UK police certificate AND the extrait de casier judiciaire as I have lived in France for under 10 years.

But who knows - maybe the beret will help. I already have three (black, red and cream!)!
Old Jul 25th 2016, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Erm, what makes you think everyone else is waiting? From what you read on forums, the rush is already well underway, and the ones who are rushing the fastest are the ones who feel they're on dodgy ground, hence the panic, and who are least likely to be accepted.

Hence I've decided to wait until the first flood of panic applications has abated, and get a carte de séjour to tide me over if necessary. If you meet the criteria for citizenship, you will surely meet the criteria for a carte de séjour, so where's the fire.

However to get back to your question, the acro website does say quite clearly that this is for people wishing to emigrate.
https://www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx
Old Jul 28th 2016, 9:00 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Erm, what makes you think everyone else is waiting? From what you read on forums, the rush is already well underway, and the ones who are rushing the fastest are the ones who feel they're on dodgy ground, hence the panic, and who are least likely to be accepted.

Hence I've decided to wait until the first flood of panic applications has abated, and get a carte de séjour to tide me over if necessary. If you meet the criteria for citizenship, you will surely meet the criteria for a carte de séjour, so where's the fire.

However to get back to your question, the acro website does say quite clearly that this is for people wishing to emigrate.
https://www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx
I've started a discussion on the Spanish forum, that applies here on this discussion. In case you are interested.

Curious as to what people think.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/siest.../#post12013984

Jon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.