Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

UK votes to leave

UK votes to leave

Old Jul 4th 2016, 8:39 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK votes to leave

Originally Posted by MichaelmMichaelm
The scots are incapable of being a net contributor of any budget which is why they are always desperate to climb on to the back of other tax payers in other countries. Independence.....don't laugh.......they want the support but they will not take a penny of the national debt with them will they.
A bit like Lithuania or Croatia then?

Both welcomed into the EU as indeed they deserve to be.
Old Jul 8th 2016, 10:10 am
Just Joined

Redstart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HKG3
Scotland will have even less influence in the EU.

There are 650 MPs in the House of Commons with 59 MPs from Scotland (about 9% of total). There are only 6 MEPs from Scotland out of a total of 751 MEPs (0.8% of the total).

Another question is whether the EU would accept an independent Scotland as a 'successor' state of the UK with all the opt outs currently enjoy by the UK. If Scotland joins as a new member without these opt outs, she will need to join the Euro and Schengen Area (which means leaving the Common Travel Area and having need to introduce border checks with non Schengen countries). With a Scottish budget deficit to GDP currently at 7.8% (including North Sea oil revenue), will the EU rolls out the red carpet?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...mes-greater-uk
Very interesting.
However; Scotland has about the same population as Slovakia; and Slovakia has 13 MEPs. Under a renegotiated settlement Scotland could hope for roughly the same number. With 13 Scots MEPs that would give the EU parliament 692 MEPs with Scotland representing 1.9%.
Old Jul 11th 2016, 12:13 pm
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

ALL Brexiters have left the sinking ship !!!!! Good luck to the remainers at putting the UK together again !!!!!
Old Jul 11th 2016, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redstart
Very interesting.
However; Scotland has about the same population as Slovakia; and Slovakia has 13 MEPs. Under a renegotiated settlement Scotland could hope for roughly the same number. With 13 Scots MEPs that would give the EU parliament 692 MEPs with Scotland representing 1.9%.
1.9% is still less than 9%!
Old Jul 11th 2016, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
A bit like Lithuania or Croatia then?

Both welcomed into the EU as indeed they deserve to be.
As the UK as a whole is a net contributor of the EU budget, the UK leaving the EU means that some members states will need to pay more and some member states will receive less money from the EU budget.

As Scotland is not likely to be a net contributor to the EU budget, the main question is who is going to pay for it? Are the Germans, French and Italians (the three biggest contributors to the EU budget) willing to pay more money to the EU budget?
Old Jul 11th 2016, 9:16 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

As the UK as a whole is a net contributor of the EU budget, the UK leaving the EU means that some members states will need to pay more and some member states will receive less money from the EU budget.

As Scotland is not likely to be a net contributor to the EU budget, the main question is who is going to pay for it? Are the Germans, French and Italians (the three biggest contributors to the EU budget) willing to pay more money to the EU budget?
They have proved so in the past. They think the EU is a good idea.

Astonishing isn't it?
Old Jul 11th 2016, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: North Kessock, Ross-shire Scotland and Treignac France
Scots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to all

Am I correct in thinking that its not British citizenship that gives access to the French health care system but contributions made -either doing work in France or collecting a UK state pension (for which contributions will have been made in the UK.

So after BREXIT what would be the advantage of having an Irish passport or that of another EU country 9for those eligible)
Old Jul 11th 2016, 10:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scots in Treignac
Am I correct in thinking that its not British citizenship that gives access to the French health care system but contributions made -either doing work in France or collecting a UK state pension (for which contributions will have been made in the UK.

So after BREXIT what would be the advantage of having an Irish passport or that of another EU country 9for those eligible)
Basically, freedom of movement within Europe.

If you don't have an EU passport you'll probably need to apply for a carte de séjour to live and/or work in Europe, and possibly, though highly unlikely IMHO, a visa. So more paperwork, almost certainly more criteria to meet, possibly restrictions on being allowed to work in France, and theoretically, being refused permission to live there. In other words, all the issues that citizens of the US, Australia, India etc face if they want to move to Europe.

Remember that a lot of the fuel behind the Brexit vote was to stop immigration into the UK from other EU countries. It works both ways. If the UK stops letting EU citizens move to the UK, why would the EU states let UK citizens live there?

Last edited by EuroTrash; Jul 11th 2016 at 10:32 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
They have proved so in the past. They think the EU is a good idea.

Astonishing isn't it?
My point is given the level Euroscepticism in some EU countries, asking them to put more money into the EU is asking for trouble?
Old Jul 15th 2016, 11:41 am
Born again atheist

My point is given the level Euroscepticism in some EU countries, asking them to put more money into the EU is asking for trouble?
The Eurosceptic parties in every non-UK member country have lost support since the UK referendum.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

Angelil is an unknown quantity at this point

Late to the party as usual (story of my life!), but I was wondering if anyone could help me.

I'm a Brit who has lived in France since 2008. Married to my French husband since 2011. Post-Brexit I am now looking to get my French nationality.

Most of the paperwork required seems straightforward(...ish) to obtain. However, one thing is causing me real grief at present: the 'police certificate of good conduct' from the UK (as I have lived in France for under 10 years).

I know I could wait until 2018 (when I will have lived in France for 10 years), and then I wouldn't need it anymore (the French one on its own would do). However, as this coincides neatly with when the UK would theoretically be about to exit the EU (...doh), I am keen to get it sorted sooner and already did my language test on July 6th.

My question is this. I have two choices available to me: the subject access request, or the police certificate. Does any Brit here know which one the French want in order to obtain nationality?!

I have been madly scouring the internet and telephoning everywhere for answers but have found nothing yet. The British Embassy in Paris doesn't know. ACRO doesn't know. No official French website about the acquisition of French nationality mentions exactly what is required.

I am keen to get this right as I know the French are very exacting. I will be hopping mad if I get to the sous-préfecture in October (...am timing this with my vacations as I know it will take a whole day...) only to be told I have the wrong document.

If anyone has gone through this and can advise me I would be most grateful. Thank you
Old Jul 20th 2016, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angelil
Late to the party as usual (story of my life!), but I was wondering if anyone could help me.

I'm a Brit who has lived in France since 2008. Married to my French husband since 2011. Post-Brexit I am now looking to get my French nationality.

Most of the paperwork required seems straightforward(...ish) to obtain. However, one thing is causing me real grief at present: the 'police certificate of good conduct' from the UK (as I have lived in France for under 10 years).

I know I could wait until 2018 (when I will have lived in France for 10 years), and then I wouldn't need it anymore (the French one on its own would do). However, as this coincides neatly with when the UK would theoretically be about to exit the EU (...doh), I am keen to get it sorted sooner and already did my language test on July 6th.

My question is this. I have two choices available to me: the subject access request, or the police certificate. Does any Brit here know which one the French want in order to obtain nationality?!

I have been madly scouring the internet and telephoning everywhere for answers but have found nothing yet. The British Embassy in Paris doesn't know. ACRO doesn't know. No official French website about the acquisition of French nationality mentions exactly what is required.

I am keen to get this right as I know the French are very exacting. I will be hopping mad if I get to the sous-préfecture in October (...am timing this with my vacations as I know it will take a whole day...) only to be told I have the wrong document.

If anyone has gone through this and can advise me I would be most grateful. Thank you
Sorry, I can't help with your specific question but Brexit would not apply to your situation because you can apply for French nationality through marriage.
France is not going to expel Brits because they do not want 400k to 500k french citizens expelled from the UK.
Why don't you just wait until the 10 years.
Brits could live and work in France before the EU - they just had to apply for a carte de sejour.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 3:42 pm
Born again atheist

Based solely on my knowledge of what is required by Canadian authorities, you need the full police certificate.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 3:49 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

I applied for French nationality by dint of marrying a Frenchman, but this was over 30 years ago and it seems that some of the required documents, among other things, have changed since then.
What's the French expression for "subject access request"? I was able to get an "Extrait de Casier Judiciaire" as I had been living in France for longer than 10 years at the time, and I see your problem, as per
https://www.service-public.fr/partic...osdroits/F2726
At the time, it was the Tribunal that decided on foreign spouses taking French nationality, not the Préfecture.
Sorry I haven't been much help, but it was so long ago and things have changed. If you can't get the police certificate of good conduct from the UK, you may have to wait until the 10 years have passed.
Or, apply for French naturalisation by dint of having lived here for more than 5 years, French OH or no French OH, as per
https://www.service-public.fr/partic...osdroits/F2213
Good luck!!
Old Jul 20th 2016, 3:57 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by dmu
What's the French expression for "subject access request"?
Not a clue. But it is used by people who want to check their police record informally before they apply for Permanent Residence or Citizenship in Canada (and perhaps in France?).

It's the police certificate though that's required by the authorities.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.