Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

UK votes to leave

UK votes to leave

Old Jun 25th 2016, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK votes to leave

Originally Posted by JWL
If I move to France before Article 50 takes effect, would I be covered by existing laws to stay and get residency in France?
What are these 'existing laws' that allow you to stay and get residency in France, that don't depend on you remaining an EU citizen?
But quite honestly, I think the UK will end up staying in the EEA and the freedom of movement, for workers at least, will continue. Mutual healthcare for pensioners is a different question.

Last edited by EuroTrash; Jun 25th 2016 at 10:02 am.
Old Jun 25th 2016, 10:02 am
JWL
Forum Regular

JWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
What are these 'existing laws' that allow you to stay and get residency in France, that don't depend on you being an EU citizen?
But quite honestly, I think the UK will end up staying in the EEA and the freedom of movement, for workers at least, will continue. Mutual healthcare for pensioners is a different question.

OK, 'regulations' then. But I'm sure you know what I meant....
Old Jun 25th 2016, 10:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JWL
OK, 'regulations' then. But I'm sure you know what I meant....
No it was genuine question. At the moment you as a Brit come under the rules for EU citizens who move here - have to have healthcare, minimum income etc. But when we are no longer EU citizens those rules will have to be replaced by other rules specific to the UK, and nobody knows what they will be. And I don't know of any rule - apart from maybe rendering some kind of service to France that puts her in your debt for ever - that would enable you to move here now and somehow establish a permanent right of residence within a short period of time. It would take at least 5 years, and I doubt the extrication process will be allowed to drag on for that long, and even then the right to reside would initially be granted to you as an EU citizen, so would it remain valid, I don't know.

Rules for EU citizens living in France
https://www.service-public.fr/partic...vosdroits/N123
and for non-EUs
https://www.service-public.fr/partic...vosdroits/N110

see what you can find.

Quite frankly the only way I can see, is to come over, have a whirlwind romance and marry a French lady.
Old Jun 25th 2016, 11:03 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Quite frankly the only way I can see, is to come over, have a whirlwind romance and marry a French lady.

TP will know, but I'm not sure that a foreign gentleman who marries a French lady will automatically become French by marriage.
JWL should wait to make sure, before going along that route!
Old Jun 25th 2016, 11:08 am
JWL
Forum Regular

JWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond repute

No it was genuine question. At the moment you as a Brit come under the rules for EU citizens who move here - have to have healthcare, minimum income etc. But when we are no longer EU citizens those rules will have to be replaced by other rules specific to the UK, and nobody knows what they will be. And I don't know of any rule - apart from maybe rendering some kind of service to France that puts her in your debt for ever - that would enable you to move here now and somehow establish a permanent right of residence within a short period of time. It would take at least 5 years, and I doubt the extrication process will be allowed to drag on for that long, and even then the right to reside would initially be granted to you as an EU citizen, so would it remain valid, I don't know.

Rules for EU citizens living in France
https://www.service-public.fr/partic...vosdroits/N123
and for non-EUs
https://www.service-public.fr/partic...vosdroits/N110

see what you can find.

I'm old, bald, have a wine belly. Romance with a French lady could only ever be a distant dream. Unless she was also old, bald, had a wine belly....
Old Jun 25th 2016, 11:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No he won't become French but I thought he would be entitled to a carte de séjour for family reasons - that's why the Surinder Singh route works isn't it, because France grants residency to the spouses of EU citizens more easily than the UK does. The Brit comes to live in France, gets a residence permit for the spouse, and off they go to the UK. Or have I got it wrong. If that's how it works I guess Brexit is going to put a spanner in that route...
Old Jun 25th 2016, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

cardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
In a bar last night a young French lady was absolutely amazed and could not understand why I had voted OUT

I and many friends quickly informed her

So you live in Basildon
Old Jun 25th 2016, 2:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by cardi
So you live in Basildon
Old Jun 25th 2016, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu

TP will know, but I'm not sure that a foreign gentleman who marries a French lady will automatically become French by marriage.
JWL should wait to make sure, before going along that route!
My ears were burning.
A foreign gentleman who marries a French lady will automatically become just one thing. Insane! Surely my posts confirm that?
Old Jun 25th 2016, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

jsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: UK votes to leave

IMHO, this vote will reverberate across history for millennia. It's deeply depressing to read here (and almost everywhere else) about people who can only think about themselves.

The wider picture of migration, greed and overpopulation are ignored in a vote which is based on self-interest and, in many cases, bigotry.
One of the more disturbing results is how many older people voted "out" and how many younger people voted "remain"(scroll down):

EU referendum: The result in maps and charts - BBC News

So the old decided the future for the young. The cosy, relatively affluent retired decided the future for the less-well off, younger people.

The dreadfully imperfect EU was a symbol of an advanced democracy, where the concept of the nation state was becoming blurred. That's about the best way there is to live together in peace, without petty nationalism causing skirmish - and war.

But that's too big a picture for the many to understand.

Instead, let's focus on UK transport costs rising by up to 6% this week because sterling has already crashed. Heating costs will inevitably follow. Moody's have now placed the UK economy as "negative" which will lead to higher inter-bank interest rates, which will lead to higher mortgages. Multi-nationals are looking at their UK-based way of accessing the European market and will already be making decisions to leave.

But of course mortgages don't concern most of those who voted for a self-interested Brexit.
Old Jun 25th 2016, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

Petal171 is an unknown quantity at this point

What are these 'existing laws' that allow you to stay and get residency in France, that don't depend on you remaining an EU citizen?
Very interested in this thread as I am about to move tO France from the UK, the referendum has no legal base in law, the government does not have to abide by the vote although that would be political suicide. Until article 50 is put into place we all have the same rights we did before the referendum.
I'm currently looking into the vienna convention 1969 this may enable people that have used their rights under the eu to keep them once the UK leaves. ( fingers crossed)
Old Jun 25th 2016, 4:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

'One of the more disturbing results is how many older people voted "out" and how many younger people voted "remain" '
-and how many young people didn't bother to vote at all:
"But turnout in areas with a higher proportion of younger residents tended to be lower."
Old Jun 25th 2016, 4:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Petal171
Until article 50 is put into place we all have the same rights we did before the referendum.
I thought it was until the exit treaty was signed, rather than when the process started.
The extra time could make all the difference between getting your first 3 months in or not, in order to qualify as an EU ressortissant residing in France.
Old Jun 25th 2016, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

Petal171 is an unknown quantity at this point

Very interested in this thread as I am about to move tO France from the UK, the referendum has no legal base in law, the government does not have to abide by the vote although that would be political suicide. Until article 50 is put into place we all have the same rights we did before the referendum.
I'm currently looking into the vienna convention 1969 this may enable people that have used their rights under the eu to keep them once the UK leaves. ( fingers crossed)
I thought it was until the exit treaty was signed, rather than when the process started.
The extra time could make all the difference between getting your first 3 months in or not, in order to qualify as an EU ressortissant residing in France.
I hope you are right, very shocked at the result.
Means I have to accelerate my plans , but should be interesting.
Old Jun 25th 2016, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum.
Experts have already been consulted on this same issue, and none of them thought that any rights relating to matters like benefits, pensions or healthcare would be protected by the Vienna Convention. They declared however that there were possible exceptions for residence rights.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.