Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

UK votes to leave

UK votes to leave

Old Jun 24th 2016, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK votes to leave

Originally Posted by JWL
OK, I'm worried. If I can't now or soon retire to France as planned as an EU passport holder, is there a route for me via having a fellow Brit brother as resident for 20 odd years?
Prior to EU, you had to apply for a carte de sejour - like a USA green card.
I knew a US citizen who retired to France and even had a carte vitale - God knows how he got that. When his C de S expired he just re-applied and got a new one.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
Nothing has changed as of yet although you may of missed the right to reside boat because one would assume that some treaty is worked out for currently residing expats.

It's all a bit unclear because the UK could remain in the EEA but not be an EU member state like Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. Switzerland is not in the EEA but does have bilateral agreements which give it's citizens the same rights as other EEA member countries.

However.....

Part of the Referendum vote initiative was about stopping the free movement people because obviously that has caused the backlog in the NHS and British Steel is on the brink of collapse because EU talked China into buying British Steel and then closing it so the Chinese could drive up the price of steel across Europe.

Then we move on the whats left of the British car manufacturing industry which is largely owned by Tata and Volkswagen group and GM, that will be disappearing slowly to the cheapest place to build cars which wont be the UK.
The current call is for a Brexit Govt. to replace Cameron et al.
They aren't going to agree an EEA replacement which includes free movement.
The Japanese car manufacturers came to the UK to get direct entry to the EU without barriers. They will not be happy if they lose that.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

The other interesting fact is that the EU will lose about 12% of its funding which will have to be replaced by Germany; France and Italy.
Perhaps lots of unhappy Germans; French and Italians?
Old Jun 24th 2016, 3:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

It'll also have a lot less grants to dish out and projects to fund though won't it ;-)
Old Jun 24th 2016, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
The other interesting fact is that the EU will lose about 12% of its funding which will have to be replaced by Germany; France and Italy.
Perhaps lots of unhappy Germans; French and Italians?
...and perhaps the many strikes in these countries won’t help?
Old Jun 24th 2016, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
It'll also have a lot less grants to dish out and projects to fund though won't it ;-)
Yes but the UK was/is/won't be a net contributor
Old Jun 24th 2016, 5:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you're absolutely right.
But the EU surely has to take on board that there were reasons why one of its members was sufficiently disenchanted with what it had become to vote to leave, and why other members are tending in the same direction. Hollande's speech this lunchtime said in so many words that that the EU had drifted away from its original concept and got too bogged down in procedures, and needs to rethink its position. I really can't see it being business as usual, with the other states shuffling round a bit to fill the empty space where the UK used to be.
Old Jun 25th 2016, 7:32 am
JWL
Forum Regular

JWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't look like the EU has much of a future. Would I be daft to leave euros in my account? Assuming a crash and return to francs, surely we'd all lose out/hardly likely to gain from such a move, in terms of a conversion rate applied by the government.
Old Jun 25th 2016, 8:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by JWL
Would I be daft to leave euros in my account?
Well if you want to turn them into £££, pick your time to do it - the £ might go lower yet.
The newspapers here this morning are all very positive about the future of the EU - apparently it's going to be more caring and sharing with the UK gone, with lots of group hugs all round and everybody looking after each other not just number one. Lots of oblique references to how the UK was never really a team player, they were only interested in the Common Market and not the wider EU philosophy, and reminding people of Maggie T's famous words "I want my money back".
Old Jun 25th 2016, 9:29 am
JWL
Forum Regular

JWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond repute

An EU hug just now should just about do it. The solution to any problem is usually the simplest option...
Old Jun 25th 2016, 9:33 am
JWL
Forum Regular

On a happier note, seeing that the EU is almost certainly Fcd, isn't any pretensions to a Scotland independence referendum a moot point? So at least the UK might gloriously continue forward into brighter days...

Actually, given that the EU is almost certainly £$"!%, you have to wonder what the Scottish MP's are doing with this kind of meaningless rhetoric?? Quit the UK to join...what...??
Old Jun 25th 2016, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Well if you want to turn them into £££, pick your time to do it - the £ might go lower yet.
The newspapers here this morning are all very positive about the future of the EU - apparently it's going to be more caring and sharing with the UK gone, with lots of group hugs all round and everybody looking after each other not just number one. Lots of oblique references to how the UK was never really a team player, they were only interested in the Common Market and not the wider EU philosophy, and reminding people of Maggie T's famous words "I want my money back".
Yes and they are also blaming a split in the Tory party for the Brexit.
17 million people voted to leave - that is one hell of a Tory split.
When will they realise that ordinary people in many EU countries are not happy with the EU for various reasons.
They are just going to stick their heads in the sand and carry on as normal.
Old Jun 25th 2016, 9:38 am
JWL
Forum Regular

If I move to France before Article 50 takes effect, would I be covered by existing laws to stay and get residency in France?
Old Jun 25th 2016, 9:42 am
Just Joined

hugh9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. Anyone on this forum
living in the Netherlands? I think I may very well get Dutch citizenship. It would be quite easy in my case having lived here so long. If it meant handing in my British passport I wouldn't mind in the least. I'm going to the local council on Monday to check the procedure. Hugh.
Old Jun 25th 2016, 9:48 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hugh9
Hi. Anyone on this forum
living in the Netherlands? I think I may very well get Dutch citizenship. It would be quite easy in my case having lived here so long. If it meant handing in my British passport I wouldn't mind in the least. I'm going to the local council on Monday to check the procedure. Hugh.
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
Whereas this thread covers all British expats living in the EU, you could post again in the dedicated Netherlands forum where Dutch residents will be more knowledgeable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.