Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

UK personal pension - time to dig up my nuts

UK personal pension - time to dig up my nuts

Old Dec 26th 2023, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK personal pension - time to dig up my nuts

Just noticed an interesting thread on the Portugal forum entitled « pension taxation ».
On precisely this subject of trying to claw back tax from HMRC. Portuguese tax offices apparently will no longer stamp the DT individual form. So one has to try to convince HMRC to accept a Portuguese certificate of tax residency instead.
Old Dec 26th 2023, 8:04 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen1964
Just noticed an interesting thread on the Portugal forum entitled « pension taxation ».
On precisely this subject of trying to claw back tax from HMRC. Portuguese tax offices apparently will no longer stamp the DT individual form. So one has to try to convince HMRC to accept a Portuguese certificate of tax residency instead.
Hi - excuse me barging in from Portugal.

On that issue, it ought not to be too bothersome, at least in theory. Note 4 on p7 of the HMRC form includes the following :
In some cases, the taxation authorities may not wish to stamp and sign the form DT-Individual. If so, please ask them to provide a separate ‘stand-alone’ certificate to confirm that you’re resident for tax purposes in that country within the meaning of the DT treaty with the UK.
And HMRC should know which countries issue the stand-alone certificates as opposed to stamping the HMRC form. In my particular case they initially returned the form (and certificate!) to me for lack of a stamp but when I called their helpline, the guy I spoke to knew instantly that Portugal doesn't stamp HMRC forms and concluded the process for me.

I don't know what's what with the French tax office, though.
Old Dec 26th 2023, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Red Eric.
I don’t know yet how our local French tax office will react to being asked to stamp a form that’s in English.
For such a centralised country, there seems to be very little consistency when it comes to tax treatment.
Will keep you all posted.