Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

UK MOT expires during lockdown

UK MOT expires during lockdown

Old Mar 23rd 2020, 12:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK MOT expires during lockdown

I read today that the UK is considering giving amnesty to people whose MoTs expire, in the interests of social distancing. They haven't done it yet though, so keep an eye on the UK news.
Old Mar 23rd 2020, 12:58 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
They were being stripped from shelves because of selfish idiots trying to profit from other people's misery, hope your suggestion was a joke and you didn't really mean the OP's friend did the same. Thankfully the supermarkets have all now imposed a limit on how many people can buy, so no problem getting hold of them now in most places.
Not necessarily. In fact I've never understood this phenomenon. It happens whenever there's a risk of general shortage (strikes, etc...). The most reasonable reason I can think of is that the "panic-buyers" use too much loo paper in the first place and their diet is based solely on pasta. Neither of which is recommended.....
But we're going off-topic....
Old Mar 23rd 2020, 1:13 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Not necessarily. In fact I've never understood this phenomenon. It happens whenever there's a risk of general shortage (strikes, etc...). The most reasonable reason I can think of is that the "panic-buyers" use too much loo paper in the first place and their diet is based solely on pasta. Neither of which is recommended.....
But we're going off-topic....
Not necessarily, perhaps the MOT in question stands for Misuse Of Toilets?
Old Mar 23rd 2020, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Listen Very Carefully
If she does go back tell her to load the car up with toilet rolls My daughter tells me that they are being stripped from the shelves as soon as they come in so your friend could probably pay for her trip her MOT and any repairs needed
I'd like to think that the absence of a 'sarcasm-on' smiley in that post was just an unfortunate oversight.
I would never suggest this action to anyone, as it's a case of 'Bu**er you Jack, I'm alright!" Most serious supermarkets in France are now vetting the quantities of certain items that shoppers have in the caddies - and rightly so, toilet rolls being one example. And if anyone still has a corner store which has no limits on quantities being 'hoarded', then imho the management should be taken to task.
As a young kid and coming from a working-class family, I frequently recall torn up newspaper for use in the wc. In fact one could say that certain well-known daily paper newsmedia could serve no better purpose! If we should have to return to that for a month or two, so be it! Furthermore I've love to say that I have a page 3 'bird' indelibly printed on my butt, but I ensure you that's not the case. Promise.
Old Mar 23rd 2020, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Not necessarily, perhaps the MOT in question stands for Misuse Of Toilets?
Old Mar 23rd 2020, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

It is nice to know that people are keeping a sense of humour in these difficult times
Old Mar 24th 2020, 8:02 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Listen Very Carefully
It is nice to know that people are keeping a sense of humour in these difficult times
It's a good way to overcome panic or depression. Reminiscent of the WW2 wartime spirit in London and the South.... (not that I noticed at the time).
Old Mar 24th 2020, 11:24 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
It's a good way to overcome panic or depression. Reminiscent of the WW2 wartime spirit in London and the South.... (not that I noticed at the time).
Oh, it was just in London and the South was it? No sense of humour, us Geordies.
Old Mar 24th 2020, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
I read today that the UK is considering giving amnesty to people whose MoTs expire, in the interests of social distancing. They haven't done it yet though, so keep an eye on the UK news.
I heard they were giving 3 months of grace to expiring MOTs, happend to be getting the car MOTd today and the garage said nothing has changed for private cars at the moment.
Old Mar 24th 2020, 2:58 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin
I heard they were giving 3 months of grace to expiring MOTs, happend to be getting the car MOTd today and the garage said nothing has changed for private cars at the moment.
The grace period is only for goods vehicles at the moment. It may be rolled out for cars but no confirmation yet.
Old Mar 25th 2020, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

The UK Government has allowed a 6 month exemption for MOT

MOT exemption

HTH
Old Mar 26th 2020, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

cardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond repute

From 30th March for 12 months cars will be allowed a further 6 months after the MOT expiry date. Petty bureaucracy is on the back boiler for the moment.
Old Apr 4th 2020, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

bicks is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cardi
From 30th March for 12 months cars will be allowed a further 6 months after the MOT expiry date. Petty bureaucracy is on the back boiler for the moment.
https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/mot-exemptions-to-take-effect-from-march-30/
Old Apr 4th 2020, 2:04 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sigh of relief for your colleague!