Reload this Page >

UK EU driving license change to French EU driving license

UK EU driving license change to French EU driving license

Old Mar 8th 2019, 6:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat056 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK EU driving license change to French EU driving license

At the risk of providing too much information I read this in the Connexion:

In view of the imminence of Brexit, and a decision on whether or not it will be a no-deal Brexit, which comes on top of existing delays related to the volume of applications from foreign drivers generally, the CERT de Nantes states it will not now process applications received after December 15, 2018.

However, applications which have started to be processed will be completed. This will only be the case if you have had a request for extra documents or have received an attestation de dépôt.
Old Mar 14th 2019, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

Charentebound is on a distinguished road

I'm in the throes of arranging my move to France and realised recently that my UK licence expires on October 31. It will still be valid when I start the exchange process but will expire before my French one arrives, judging by the reported delays in Nantes. I'm hoping "the system" will accept its validity at the start of the process and ignore the expiry date. Anyone think this is a reasonable hope? Unfortunately, I can't renew my UK licence until August, when I will no longer have a UK address. Best to ignore any possible changes caused by Brexit, I think. PS Just read the last post – things are even bleaker than I thought if they're no longer accepting exchange applications.

Last edited by Charentebound; Mar 14th 2019 at 12:12 pm.
Old Mar 14th 2019, 1:59 pm
Account Closed

Yes, it's looking bleak as you say. I'll know for sure that the Connexion is correct when I get my dossier back. I'll update this thread if and when I do. The next option will be to take a test in France. Pretty sure my French isn't up to that yet, but I'm going to visit the local driving school and see what they say.
Old Mar 14th 2019, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Alianco
Yes, it's looking bleak as you say. I'll know for sure that the Connexion is correct when I get my dossier back. I'll update this thread if and when I do. The next option will be to take a test in France. Pretty sure my French isn't up to that yet, but I'm going to visit the local driving school and see what they say.
I'll be interested to hear how it goes for you. Good luck. Don't fancy taking a test in France, but that may be the only option.
Old Mar 15th 2019, 5:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

From what I heard, Nantes is processing applications from people whose licence is due to expire soon or who need to swap their licence because they’ve incurred speeding “points”.
Sitting a French driving test is a pretty big deal and afterwards you'll be classed as a junior driver for 2 or 3 years so will have to pay hefty insurance premiums.
Old Mar 15th 2019, 9:15 am
Account Closed

The French licence could indeed be a problem for me, not because of the insurance since we don't own a car, but because we sometimes hire a van or a car when needed. Maybe a junior driver can't hire a 6 cubic metre van. Delivery costs for second hand furniture can more than double the price where a van from Leclerc is 9 Euro per day.
Old Mar 15th 2019, 10:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Helen1964
From what I heard, Nantes is processing applications from people whose licence is due to expire soon
That's slightly encouraging, Helen. Thanks for cheering me up.
Old Mar 15th 2019, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen1964
From what I heard, Nantes is processing applications from people whose licence is due to expire soon or who need to swap their licence because they’ve incurred speeding “points”.
Sitting a French driving test is a pretty big deal and afterwards you'll be classed as a junior driver for 2 or 3 years so will have to pay hefty insurance premiums.

For those who may eventually have to sit a French driving test, I agree it would be pretty disconcerting, and a fairly sound knowledge of French would be required. Also I believe one would have to sit a medical if one of 5 conditions has been ticked 'oui' on the Cerfa 02 driving licence request form.

However I doubt that one would be classed as a junior driver for 2 or 3 years (which is generally the case here on first passing the driving test) if it could be shown with adequate proof that one had been driving previously. Similarly I'm fairly sure that a hefty insurance premium would not be the norm if one could show documented proof of no-claims bonus. The last time I did this when insuring a vehicle here, I showed several years consecutive up-to-date no-claims bonus from two different Asian countries. This was accepted here by Maaf with no questions asked, and I'd never been with them previously.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Mar 15th 2019 at 12:54 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2019, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

With a smug grin I'll chip in by saying that I exchanged my UK licence over the New Year period of 2012/13 at the prefecture expressly in order to obtain the last of the old 'for life' paper licences which I have to this day. Despite it being New Year I received my new licence in the post within the week.

Supposedly they are to be replaced with photocards by 2033 but given the gross inefficiency of the French state machinery and it's long history of missing deadlines by a country mile you'll understand my doubts that it will happen on time - if at all - but in any case I'll be in my mid 80's by then and if not dead probably not too interested in driving a car !!
Old Mar 26th 2019, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

cardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond repute

It's OK for you lot. I have a French licence but I am back here now in Brexitland. Knowing the bunch of jokers running the show over here at the moment maybe I'd better buy a bike.
Old Mar 26th 2019, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Why ?

Assuming you passed your test in UK then irrespective of which countries licence you currently hold you have an absolute right to reapply for a UK licence.

​​​
Old Mar 26th 2019, 5:58 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
Why ?

Assuming you passed your test in UK then irrespective of which countries licence you currently hold you have an absolute right to reapply for a UK licence.​​​
Plus it’s free to do so and comes back in a week or two. Somewhat more efficient than the continental process.
Old Mar 29th 2019, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised and find that swapping your French licence for an English one is quick & painless.
The Northern Irish driver licensing people in Coleraine are downright delightful. Sometimes when I’ve had a particularly nasty French customer service experience, I invent a reason to call them just to hear their soothing tones.
Old Apr 2nd 2019, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
With a smug grin I'll chip in by saying that I exchanged my UK licence over the New Year period of 2012/13 at the prefecture expressly in order to obtain the last of the old 'for life' paper licences which I have to this day. Despite it being New Year I received my new licence in the post within the week.

Supposedly they are to be replaced with photocards by 2033 but given the gross inefficiency of the French state machinery and it's long history of missing deadlines by a country mile you'll understand my doubts that it will happen on time - if at all - but in any case I'll be in my mid 80's by then and if not dead probably not too interested in driving a car !!
Just a little update.
My application to Nantes to swap my UK licence was returned today.
I’m personally not that bothered - my UK licence is registered to my mother’s address in the UK where I can still be contacted at any time so I will just continue to drive on this licence when in the UK.
It does, however, create a Catch-22 situation for any Brits whose UK licence is not about to expire (Nantes is willing to process those) and who no longer have a contact address in the UK. They’ll be able to drive legally in France but not in the UK.
Old Apr 7th 2019, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

graham.miln is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: UK EU driving license change to French EU driving license

I too received my reply from CERT EPE de Nantes this week. The French government will temporarily accept UK driving licences even in the case of a no-deal Brexit.

A copy of the reply and OCR'd transcript are at https://theworklife.com/graham-miln/...rench-licence/

The key paragraph is quoted below:

Originally Posted by CERT EPE de Nantes
Dans le cas où le Royaume-Uni quitterait l’Union européenne le 29 mars 2019 sans qu’un accord de sortie soit conclu entre le Royaume-Uni et l’U.E., le gouvernement français prendra des dispositions juridiques afin de perm ettre temporairement aux citoyens du Royaume-Uni, dont la résidence normale était située en France antérieurement au 29 mars 2019, de continuer à circuler réglementairement en France avec leur permis de conduire du Royaume-Uni.
Via Google Translate: "In the event that the United Kingdom leaves the European Union on 29 March 2019 without an exit agreement between the United Kingdom and the EU, the French Government will take legal measures to temporarily allow citizens from the United Kingdom, whose normal residence was in France prior to 29 March 2019, to continue to circulate legally in France with their driving license from the United Kingdom."

Clearly the situation is fast changing but the intent of the French government is reassuring.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.