Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

UK EU driving license change to French EU driving license

UK EU driving license change to French EU driving license

Old May 30th 2019, 8:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat056 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK EU driving license change to French EU driving license

Yes, I wondered that, but it doesn't run out until July 2020 and I assume that's not considered pressing.
Old May 31st 2019, 3:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Bizarre
Maybe I’ll resubmit my application and see what happens.
Old May 31st 2019, 7:04 am
Account Closed

Let's be honest, it's just as likely to be lost in the return post to me.
Old Jul 7th 2019, 9:37 am
Account Closed

Still on the driving licence merry-go-round. I just had a thought and wondered if anyone else has any knowledge of this. If my UK driving licence is accepted here in France and I have a French address where I am provably resident can I apply for a French international driving licence that would then be valid in UK? Unless someone has tried this I suspect I will only know by attempting to apply for one in writing as per instructions on the internet.
Old Jul 7th 2019, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alianco
Still on the driving licence merry-go-round. I just had a thought and wondered if anyone else has any knowledge of this. If my UK driving licence is accepted here in France and I have a French address where I am provably resident can I apply for a French international driving licence that would then be valid in UK? Unless someone has tried this I suspect I will only know by attempting to apply for one in writing as per instructions on the internet.
I will continue to drive in France on my UK licence.
I suspect that in the case of a no-deal (Boris?) Brexit an agreement to recognise (perhaps for a limited period) the licences of other States will come into force.
If the UK and EU are so stupid that they cannot act in the interests of all their citizens then chaos will occur.
I will apply for an IDP when - and only when - it becomes absolutely necessary.

Note: If anyone is travelling to the USA, certain States require an IDP.
Florida is one of them.
Old Jul 7th 2019, 11:23 am
Account Closed

Yes, I have no problem hiring vans and driving in France on my UK licence, it's not being able to hire a car and drive in UK that is the problem for me and some others. For those interested I have applied online and was heartened to note that EU citizens resident in France and driving on their own country's licences can apply for a French international licence with areas to input 'foreign' details.
Of course this is a unique problem caused by Brexit and maybe impacting only a few people (like me) and our small numbers may well mean that no UK authority is going to make any effort to help. I also suspect that should I be stopped while driving in UK and show a French international licence backed by a supposedly invalid UK one I will enter a hitherto untested grey area nightmare. Oh well, we shall see.
Old Jul 7th 2019, 12:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
I will continue to drive in France on my UK licence.
I will apply for an IDP when - and only when - it becomes absolutely necessary.
If you have a UK driving licence then getting an IDP takes a couple of minutes at any main Post Office in the UK.
My employer insisted I get one for both France and Spain (they are different permits) and it was perfectly painless. So although I probably wouldn't have done it if I hadn't been told to, I'm now glad I have them, I think it was a good precaution to take. I now feel well prepared and actually, quite smug.
Old Jul 8th 2019, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Alianco
That’s an interesting idea.
Certainly it appears from the French government website that you can apply for an international licence on the strength of your UK licence.
You’ve nothing to lose so why not give it a go?
You could also contact one of the big rental companies in the UK, explain the situation and ask them whether they would be prepared to rent you a vehicle on that basis.
If they say no, I’d be very tempted to notify DVLA of a change of address and give them a family member’s address in the UK where you could be contacted easily if necessary. I know this is not strictly kosher but really, what are we supposed to do in the current circumstances?

As you may remember, my application for an ordinary French licence was returned to me, with a letter stating that the French authorities are no longer processing non-urgent applications to exchange UK licences. Because of the uncertainty over Brexit.
My plan next time I’m in the UK is simply to drive on my current UK licence and bring this letter with me (complete with translation), to be produced if necessary.

Old Jul 8th 2019, 11:43 am
Account Closed

Actually my UK driving licence is registered at our old house, which we sold to friends and they forward anything of importance to us. I have applied for a French international licence, I'll keep you posted on how that works out.
Old Aug 21st 2019, 10:59 am
Account Closed

An old thread I know, but I heard today my application for a French international driving licence has been accepted and I should get it within 15 days. Next I'll see if that is accepted by car hire firms in UK. And then there's brexit...
Old Aug 21st 2019, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

An old thread I know, but I heard today my application for a French international driving licence has been accepted and I should get it within 15 days. Next I'll see if that is accepted by car hire firms in UK. And then there's brexit...
Wow! Well done.
Did you / do you have to surrender your British driving licence to get this French international one?
Old Aug 21st 2019, 4:53 pm
Account Closed

From what I understand it simply backs up your driving licence, not replace it. That's the grey area for the UK. It backs up my UK licence that is recognised here in France, but not in the UK. I'm not sure who to now ask in UK if it is recognised there.
I never heard about my application to swap my UK licence for a French one, nor did they return my application as has happened to everyone else I have heard of. As I said before it's probably sloshing around the French postal system.
Old Aug 21st 2019, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alianco
Which address do you think will be shown on this French international licence?
Your old UK address or your current French one?
If the latter, that will presumably get round the problem of driving in the UK on a licence that doesn’t show your current address.
Old Aug 21st 2019, 6:38 pm
Account Closed

Exactly, it's registered here in France along with my UK bank accounts and so my credit card is also registered here. I should have everything to hire a car in UK should I need to, but I bet the car hire companies will need some persuading. I am sure this is an unintended consequence of brexit and consequently I could end up being a legal test case should something unfortunate happen on UK roads.
Old Aug 21st 2019, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Exactly, it's registered here in France along with my UK bank accounts and so my credit card is also registered here. I should have everything to hire a car in UK should I need to, but I bet the car hire companies will need some persuading. I am sure this is an unintended consequence of brexit and consequently I could end up being a legal test case should something unfortunate happen on UK roads.
I doubt you’ll have any problems with the car rental companies when it comes to the initial hiring. Many of my colleagues here are still driving around on UK licences and regularly hire cars in the UK using cartes bleue Visa linked to their French addresses. It never seems to pose a problem.

With a licence and credit card both registered to the same French address, I think the car rental firms will treat you as they would any French tourist.
Also I don’t see why there should be a problem with the insurance company if you had an accident given that there’s been no attempt on your part to deceive.

Anyway, best of luck. And please continue to keep us posted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.