Reload this Page >

Travelling to Spain

Travelling to Spain

Old Dec 24th 2011, 10:20 am
Just Joined

borderboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travelling to Spain

Hi
1st week in February driving through France to Torrevieja in Spain. Coming from Scotland. 1st stop this side somewhere South. Early morning Channel Tunnel to Calais and then head South through France. Going to stop off and make 1 or 2 weeks of it as we will be in Spain for 2 months.
Advice i need.
Heading for the Clermont Ferand direction and then on into Spain. If we stop for 4 days in a Gite in France and then make a similar stop in Spain where would be best.
Weather is my sticky point. Will we encounter snow at that time of year and if so where as that is the area we would want to avoid. Driving in snow not so much of a problem but would like to minimize it as much as possible as i will have a trailer and a roof box on my Kia Sportage 4x4

Any advice on stops and routes would be grateful

Thanks
Old Dec 24th 2011, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling to Spain

Originally Posted by borderboy
Hi
1st week in February driving through France to Torrevieja in Spain. Coming from Scotland. 1st stop this side somewhere South. Early morning Channel Tunnel to Calais and then head South through France. Going to stop off and make 1 or 2 weeks of it as we will be in Spain for 2 months.
Advice i need.
Heading for the Clermont Ferand direction and then on into Spain. If we stop for 4 days in a Gite in France and then make a similar stop in Spain where would be best.
Weather is my sticky point. Will we encounter snow at that time of year and if so where as that is the area we would want to avoid. Driving in snow not so much of a problem but would like to minimize it as much as possible as i will have a trailer and a roof box on my Kia Sportage 4x4

Any advice on stops and routes would be grateful

Thanks
Hi
Welcome to the forum

I have driven from Scotland to Clermont Ferrand and back many times.
I would suggest that you cross the channel and stay in a hotel in France.
I have used the Millennium hotel in Coquelles but there are plenty in Calais also. This means that you gain time on the 2nd day by not having to spend time crossing the channel and also losing 1 hour time difference in the process.
It is easy to get onto the autoroute on the french side.
I prefer the A16 passing Amiens rather than the A1 through Paris.
I would also avoid the Boulevard péripherique in Paris - I prefer to leave the A16 to Cergy-Pointoise towards Versailles and then on to the A10 south of Paris. i.e. programme Orleans.
If you use a Sat-Nav then you can programme the various towns I have mentioned - one after the other - and it will take you in the correct route.
There are several hotels in C-F including Holiday Inn and Mercure.
Remember the toll charges can be expensive.

Good luck
Old Dec 24th 2011, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

borderboy is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks but hotels are out. looking to book a self accommodation Gite as we prefer that.Years managing Hotels had enough of them!) Got two large collie dogs as well. kind of restricts us. thanks for advice on route. Its weather as we get south that's bothering me.
Old Dec 25th 2011, 7:51 am
Banned

Etoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of light

Well naturally the weather gets better as you go south.

Just try to stay to the west of the Massif Centrale where winds and weather can funnel down valleys.

Would this help?

http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/

BTW more and more hotels accept dogs. We stayed in a small family hotel. on the beach in Beziers and they were happy to let the dogs sleep in the room.
When you arrive in a town late afternoon, stop at the Office de Tourism and tell them what you want. They usually make all the arrangements for you.

You may find that the closer to the mountains you are the more difficult it will be to find somewhere since the skiing season has started.

Last edited by Etoile de Berger; Dec 25th 2011 at 7:56 am.
Old Dec 25th 2011, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by borderboy
thanks but hotels are out. looking to book a self accommodation Gite as we prefer that.Years managing Hotels had enough of them!) Got two large collie dogs as well. kind of restricts us. thanks for advice on route. Its weather as we get south that's bothering me.
Clermont-Ferrand is very cold in February.
The Puy-de-Dome is a volcanic plug that overlooks the town and is used for skiing and the cold wind blows down into the town.
You will find that unless there is a ski trade many hotels; camp sites; chambres d'hotes; gites and restaurants close down in January/February.
I agree with Etoile to avoid the Massif Central and stick nearer the coast.
Unless your french is able to cope with searching for accommodation then I would either arrange it beforehand or as suggested arrive in your chosen destination early enough to let the tourist office find accommodation.
The french take their dogs everywhere with them. You will find that hotels and restaurants often accept dogs.
Be warned - France closes down on Sundays unlike the UK.
Best wishes
Old Dec 25th 2011, 9:35 pm
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute

Three months ago we drove from Calais straight through the middle until we got to our destination on the coast.

We also had our dog with us and enjoyed staying in ACE Hotels in Bourges and Riom. I also think that ETAP Hotels will allow pets.

Worth a look if you're stuck.
Old Dec 30th 2011, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

wetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nice

All the Gites I know of are winterised and do not open until Easter so you must book in advance to make sure they are open.

I have two dogs and have never had a problem with them in a french hotel