Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Travelling Dogs

Travelling Dogs

Old Nov 27th 2014, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

jonkemp is on a distinguished road
Default Travelling Dogs

Hi, Have a house (pile of bricks) in France and we pop over when we can.
However, Father Christmas is bringing our children a dog this Christmas.

With regard traveling back and forth....

I am aware we need a Dog passport and the dog needs to be micro chipped
The dog also needs Rabies jabs.

However, I have read that 2-3 days prior to returning to the UK the dog must
have anti tape worm tablets administered by a vet.

Does anyone out there know inconvenient this can be? Can you just turn up at a vets? How much do they charge etc etc.

Is there anything else we should be aware of?

regards

Jon.K
Old Nov 27th 2014, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling Dogs

HI

I think you can just turn up at a vet - but ours only had one to take in installments and had to begin a week ahead of tme. You will need to take the passport for them to stamp as proof
Old Nov 28th 2014, 1:36 am
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonkemp
Hi, Have a house (pile of bricks) in France and we pop over when we can.
However, Father Christmas is bringing our children a dog this Christmas.

With regard traveling back and forth....

I am aware we need a Dog passport and the dog needs to be micro chipped
The dog also needs Rabies jabs.

However, I have read that 2-3 days prior to returning to the UK the dog must
have anti tape worm tablets administered by a vet.

Does anyone out there know inconvenient this can be? Can you just turn up at a vets? How much do they charge etc etc.

Is there anything else we should be aware of?

regards

Jon.K
Have a look at this. Phone them if you want , they are very helpful.
Not sure, but a puppy of just a few months may be too young to travel.
Last time I was in France, you need a rdv and vets charge about 30 euros for this service + medications etc.
https://www.gov.uk/pet-travel-quarantine
Old Nov 28th 2014, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by audio
Have a look at this. Phone them if you want , they are very helpful.
Not sure, but a puppy of just a few months may be too young to travel.
Last time I was in France, you need a rdv and vets charge about 30 euros for this service + medications etc.
https://www.gov.uk/pet-travel-quarantine
We just take our dog to the vet, although we book an appointment.

Be careful, some of them take 24 hours to work, so if you it the day before but 24 hours before you might have a problem.

I cant recall how long before you have to do it, I thought it was 48 hours, but i vaguely remember we had been miss informed. We normally do it as close to over 24 hours as we can.
Old Nov 28th 2014, 5:09 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure of any age restriction on travelling. Our two go over regularly. The .gov website posted by audio is the route to take for advice. Dog will need worming before coming back to UK. This is done between 1 and 5 days before travel. Our return a week back, we booked the dogs in on a Friday and travelled overnight the Monday.
Find a vet when you get over. Our two to be wormed cost 32 Euro. It's normally a tablet; take a piece of canned food to wrap it in as one of ours spits it out. If dog responds aggressively they will muzzle jaws and inject; price goes up.
And, passport will be signed by vet. You may need to show it on return, you will on way out, also dog will be 'wanded' out and return journey to confirm microchip.

Last edited by cjm; Nov 28th 2014 at 5:12 pm. Reason: Extra thought
Old Nov 28th 2014, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cjm
Not sure of any age restriction on travelling. Our two go over regularly. The .gov website posted by audio is the route to take for advice. Dog will need worming before coming back to UK. This is done between 1 and 5 days before travel. Our return a week back, we booked the dogs in on a Friday and travelled overnight the Monday.
Find a vet when you get over. Our two to be wormed cost 32 Euro. It's normally a tablet; take a piece of canned food to wrap it in as one of ours spits it out. If dog responds aggressively they will muzzle jaws and inject; price goes up.
And, passport will be signed by vet. You may need to show it on return, you will on way out, also dog will be 'wanded' out and return journey to confirm microchip.
The age restriction I mentioned was for the rabies jab, seem to remember something about this for very young pups.
Old Nov 28th 2014, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Found it!

Ewell Veterinary Centre - Special content

Min age for rabies jab is 3 months and a blood test waiting period of 21 days (was 6 months), so a puppy can now travel at around 4 months of age.
Old Nov 29th 2014, 9:37 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry but every time I see the thread title this clip comes to mind

Old Dec 1st 2014, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

jonkemp is on a distinguished road

Dear All, very many thanks for your advice. Much appreciated. Cheers. Jon