Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Travel for essential reasons exceptions?

Travel for essential reasons exceptions?

Old Jul 6th 2021, 10:10 am
ACF
Just Joined

ACF is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travel for essential reasons exceptions?

We were planning to travel to France at the end of July but for various reasons (medical, not anti-vax) my British wife will not be fully vaccinated at that time.

Is anyone aware of the French authorities allowing people to enter the country in such circumstances i.e. via an exception to the "essential reasons" requirement for non-fully vaccinated people?

Relatedly, I see that this morning the German government is allowing people who are not fully vaccinated to enter Germany subject to certain quarantine requirements. Would anyone be willing to hazard an (ideally educated) guess as to whether similar rules will soon apply in France?

Thanks very much.
Old Jul 7th 2021, 6:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel for essential reasons exceptions?

To be honest your guess is as good as anyone else's.
I think these days most people are very vague about the current travel situation unless they actually need to know. The one thing we have all realised is that whatever the rules are right now, sooner or later they will be different. So unless a person is planning to travel imminently, it's a waste of time trying to keep up to date.
Looking at it logically, making exceptions to the motifs impérieux rule would seem to me to be a nonsense. Either you allow non-essential travel or you don't.

Would you be travelling from the UK? I could be wrong but I thought Wales and England (don't know about Scotland) are still advising against travel to amber countries of which France is currently one isn't it? so there could be issues over travel insurance if you travel against government advice. But again this may change, or maybe it already has and I'm out of date.

This is a good site to keep checking the situation in France https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/fr/co...n/royaume-uni/ but you probably have this or a similar site tagged already.

Do come back and share any useful info you discover, as it may help others!
Old Jul 7th 2021, 7:32 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
To be honest your guess is as good as anyone else's.
I think these days most people are very vague about the current travel situation unless they actually need to know. The one thing we have all realised is that whatever the rules are right now, sooner or later they will be different. So unless a person is planning to travel imminently, it's a waste of time trying to keep up to date.
Looking at it logically, making exceptions to the motifs impérieux rule would seem to me to be a nonsense. Either you allow non-essential travel or you don't.

Would you be travelling from the UK? I could be wrong but I thought Wales and England (don't know about Scotland) are still advising against travel to amber countries of which France is currently one isn't it? so there could be issues over travel insurance if you travel against government advice. But again this may change, or maybe it already has and I'm out of date.

This is a good site to keep checking the situation in France https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/fr/co...n/royaume-uni/ but you probably have this or a similar site tagged already.

Do come back and share any useful info you discover, as it may help others!

There's talk of a 4th wave expected at the end of July and it's rumoured that Prés. Macron will make his 14th July speech earlier, to announce new restrictions.
That said, the PM or Minister Véran could suddenly announce them between now and then. As you say, sooner or later they'll be different...
The rules change often in Germany, too. The present ones are favourable for DD1 to come this month and for me to go there in September, but who knows what can happen in 10 days?
I agree that the OP can't hope for an exception to the "motifs impérieux" rule, even if they can leave the UK.
Old Jul 7th 2021, 8:18 am
ACF
Just Joined

Great - thanks, both. All very sensible and helpful advice. Trying to plan anything against this backdrop is virtually impossible.....
Old Jul 7th 2021, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

As the UK is now predicted to have 100,000 cases a day by August then I suspect that many countries will not be happy about having Brits
Old Jul 7th 2021, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

You propose travelling to France at the end of July.
Is that instead of travelling to Canada at the end of July or as well as?
Old Jul 7th 2021, 12:11 pm
ACF
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cyrian
You propose travelling to France at the end of July.
Is that instead of travelling to Canada at the end of July or as well as?
Instead and neither option is looking particularly hopeful unfortunately! At least in France the kids would not have to quarantine (unlike Canada) but my spouse can't enter so...

Last edited by ACF; Jul 7th 2021 at 12:13 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2021, 1:22 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ACF
Great - thanks, both. All very sensible and helpful advice. Trying to plan anything against this backdrop is virtually impossible.....
I'm afraid that you're not the only ones affected!

P.S. The Govt. spokesman has announced that there'll be a "Conseil de défense sanitaire" on Monday 12th and that the Président will speak to the French Nation between now and 14th July. Keep an eye on the regularly updated Covid thread to see whether what he has to say will affect travellers from the UK.

Last edited by dmu; Jul 7th 2021 at 1:36 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2021, 4:46 pm
ACF
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dmu
I'm afraid that you're not the only ones affected!

P.S. The Govt. spokesman has announced that there'll be a "Conseil de défense sanitaire" on Monday 12th and that the Président will speak to the French Nation between now and 14th July. Keep an eye on the regularly updated Covid thread to see whether what he has to say will affect travellers from the UK.
Thank you - that's v helpful. I will keep an eye out.