Reload this Page >

Transporting pets to France

Transporting pets to France

Old Aug 17th 2009, 6:41 am
Just Joined

Midsomer is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Transporting pets to France

Hi

We are planning our move to France, from Perth, Western Australia, and one of the really important factors for us is transporting our pets. We have 4 dogs and a cat, none of whom we could bear to be separated from.

We have enquired of one company, Jetpets, about the issue, and they only use Thai Airlines, who they claim are very good, but the total flight time is nearly 24 hours (assuming no delays), with NO food allowed to be provided, and they provide no guarantees, and admit that there have been deaths en route. Short of winning the lottery and being able to charter our own jet (we're still trying! ), we look like we are stuck with a commercial airline.

We would be very interested to know of anyone else's experiences, good or bad, with transport of pets over long distances, and any advice you may have.

Thanks for any suggestions - Jeremy and Debra
Old Aug 17th 2009, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transporting pets to France

we moved to France from Namibia, with 2 dogs (labrador and Maltese poodle) and 3 cats. As there are no direct flights from Windhoek to Paris, they had to go via Germany, so took 2 days for them to get there. They were all fine, had no problems and picking them up from the airport was hastle free.
There are a number of companies based in France that handle pet relocation - if you do a search on Google you will find them

http://www.google.ca/search?sourceid...ation%2bFrance

it might also be worth contacting Air France as they have offices in Australia, to see what options they offer.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

beigey is an unknown quantity at this point

we moved our big dog and 2 cats from Dubai in December - we went via Paris to Marseille - total time including delays was 24hours - they were a bit stressed when the arrived but settled in quickly.

We flew with Air France and everything was straight forward - we did use a pet relocation company to get our pets out of Dubai which was really worth the money.

Just make sure all your vaccines and certificates are up to date (pack for yourselves early - the paperwork for your four legged family is a little time consuming!)

Good luck!
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 9:06 am
Just Joined

hkenee is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
We are in the same position as you , moving from Bunbury to France , hopefully March 2010. We are just starting to look into how to get our two dogs over with us, They are both Microchipped and tattooed . We were very interested to know that Jetpets used Thai airlines and that it is 24 hr trip. One dog is a greyhound and I think 24 hours in a crate might be too much for him. Any info as to what direction to point us would be great.
Cheers
Hazel & Jeff
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

beigey is an unknown quantity at this point

strongly advise you contact a professional who handles pet relocation - they are the best to advise you on your options if there are any! My pets were in their boxes for 24hrs ... they were ok, stressed when then got to the other end. The youngest cat was ok in 12 hrs and the 5 year old dog took 3 days to eat he was so freaked out from the experience but they all bounced back and really have never been happier. I think mum (me) was more stressed out before, during and after!!!
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hkenee
Hi
We are in the same position as you , moving from Bunbury to France , hopefully March 2010. We are just starting to look into how to get our two dogs over with us, They are both Microchipped and tattooed . We were very interested to know that Jetpets used Thai airlines and that it is 24 hr trip. One dog is a greyhound and I think 24 hours in a crate might be too much for him. Any info as to what direction to point us would be great.
Cheers
Hazel & Jeff
I should imagine that Bunbury to France would be a nice little trip for a greyhound, although the hare would be a bit the worse for wear on arrival......
But seriously, I hope you eventually get things sorted out ok.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

may09041944 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Midsomer
Hi

We are planning our move to France, from Perth, Western Australia, and one of the really important factors for us is transporting our pets. We have 4 dogs and a cat, none of whom we could bear to be separated from.

We have enquired of one company, Jetpets, about the issue, and they only use Thai Airlines, who they claim are very good, but the total flight time is nearly 24 hours (assuming no delays), with NO food allowed to be provided, and they provide no guarantees, and admit that there have been deaths en route. Short of winning the lottery and being able to charter our own jet (we're still trying! ), we look like we are stuck with a commercial airline.

We would be very interested to know of anyone else's experiences, good or bad, with transport of pets over long distances, and any advice you may have.

Thanks for any suggestions - Jeremy and Debra
Hi

Sorry my distance would not help as we are driving down to our property with our pets.

Maureen
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

scaredycat has a brilliant futurescaredycat has a brilliant futurescaredycat has a brilliant futurescaredycat has a brilliant futurescaredycat has a brilliant futurescaredycat has a brilliant futurescaredycat has a brilliant futurescaredycat has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by hkenee
Hi
Cheers
Hazel & Jeff
Bunbury's a wonderful place.. why are you moving? But then, so is France
Old Apr 16th 2010, 9:01 am
Just Joined

Ade100 will become famous soon enoughAde100 will become famous soon enough

We just brought our Golden Retriever to Nice from Singapore using Air France. Changing at Paris we got to see Madame and gave her some food so it was only about 12 hours of fasting. And of course they are allowed to have water.

She was very glad to get out of her cage and have a romp around the gardens at Nice airport but all in all I don’t think it was too traumatic for her. It was just great to take her straight home (when we took her to Singapore, she had to go into quarantine for 30 days).
Old Apr 16th 2010, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ade100
We just brought our Golden Retriever to Nice from Singapore using Air France. Changing at Paris we got to see Madame and gave her some food so it was only about 12 hours of fasting. And of course they are allowed to have water.

She was very glad to get out of her cage and have a romp around the gardens at Nice airport but all in all I don’t think it was too traumatic for her. It was just great to take her straight home (when we took her to Singapore, she had to go into quarantine for 30 days).
Thank you for getting back to me, did you have to contact an organisation in France to say you were bringing a dog in the country, as my vet said I need to contact someone in France, if so do you still have a contact address/ e-mail.
Thank you
May
Old Apr 16th 2010, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

Ade100 will become famous soon enoughAde100 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by may09041944
Thank you for getting back to me, did you have to contact an organisation in France to say you were bringing a dog in the country, as my vet said I need to contact someone in France, if so do you still have a contact address/ e-mail.
Thank you
May
We had an agent in Singapore to handle the paperwork but I know they were in touch with the French Ministry of Agriculture at (+33 1 4862 2322). I think there was an import license involved too but I am not clear where that came from – probably the French customs.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ade100
We had an agent in Singapore to handle the paperwork but I know they were in touch with the French Ministry of Agriculture at (+33 1 4862 2322). I think there was an import license involved too but I am not clear where that came from – probably the French customs.
Thank you for getting back to me so quickly, I will contact them, both pets have had rabies injections, micro chipped, we have been told we need to get back to the vet for their passports within 30 days prior to leaving England.

May
Old Apr 16th 2010, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by beigey
strongly advise you contact a professional who handles pet relocation - they are the best to advise you on your options if there are any! My pets were in their boxes for 24hrs ... they were ok, stressed when then got to the other end. The youngest cat was ok in 12 hrs and the 5 year old dog took 3 days to eat he was so freaked out from the experience but they all bounced back and really have never been happier. I think mum (me) was more stressed out before, during and after!!!
Thank you for your advise, our pets ages in human terms are the cat is 85 and the dog is 75, but we will be taking our pets with us in the car, we intend to drive down we can not depend on someone else knowing what is good for our pets and us, I get stressed thinking about it.