Traitor?

Old Dec 11th 2022, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Traitor?

Call me a traitor, but still smarting from Brexit I really wanted France to win the match yesterday........
Spoiler:

Old Dec 12th 2022, 7:06 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Traitor?

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Call me a traitor, but still smarting from Brexit I really wanted France to win the match yesterday........
Spoiler:

I, for one, won't call you a traitor as I, too, was rooting for France. Nothing to do with Brexit, but I've lost touch with British sport after all this time in France (not to mention an influencial French OH). I must have had the same enormous smile as Mbappé when the free kick didn't make it (or was it when Kane missed the penalty?).
Allez les Bleus!
Old Dec 12th 2022, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Spoiler:

Me too, I hate Brexit and really, really, really wanted France to win!

The sheer joy of watching Kane blasting over the crossbar will be with me forever! Oh the sheer joy!
Old Dec 12th 2022, 1:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Spoiler:

So glad I'm not the only one!
Old Dec 12th 2022, 3:42 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't watched even one minute of the World Cup, apart from a couple of clips of that penalty miss, I did hope that England would lose though.
Old Dec 12th 2022, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
I haven't watched even one minute of the World Cup, apart from a couple of clips of that penalty miss, I did hope that England would lose though.
Interesting to read the comments with similar thoughts and to know I'm not alone.
Old Dec 13th 2022, 8:47 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Spoiler:

No-one should call you a traitor. The Brexit debate bought out some strong emotions from both sides... Sadly a small percentage resorted to personal or insulting attacks, as we saw sometimes on this forum. The referendum was long enough ago, I feel, not to have that affect one's sporting allegiances, today, at least.

Its a huge life decision to leave ones 'original home country' to a 'new home country' and plan to stay there. So why not get 100% into the culture too! That includes many things of course... E.g learning the language, the history, the food the regions, taking the nationality etc etc etc.... And of course the sport, which often unites much of the country. So supporting France instead, in your case is perfectly fine, IMO. No criticism necessary.

I'm one of those who feel that politics should be divorced from sport.... For example I found it weird that England 'took the knee' when playing USA recently but no-one from their side did. I wasn't that deeply bothered, but I personally found it unnecessary.

However for me its always England first, insport .. but I also fully support my 'new country' as well. But when they play each other, I'm fully supporting England. Yep, 'Im having my cake..... etc'

IMO, you can't beat the ambiance in a local bar/cafe/pub when the national team is playing. Had we got to the final, I would have gone to England to watch it in a pub with friends, travel restrictions [weather + Industrial action] permitting.

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Dec 13th 2022 at 8:52 am.