Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Traditional 1st of May Muguet

Traditional 1st of May Muguet

Old May 1st 2009, 9:29 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Traditional 1st of May Muguet

How much is the muguet (lily-of-the-valley) in your whereabouts? In our nearest town, I noticed that florists were selling it yesterday at 1 € per sprig. Needless to say, I didn't buy any.
I've no idea how much individuals selling it on the street today are asking, but, if it weren't for the strict regulations (to protect florists' livelihood), I'd set aside a corner of my garden to grow some to sell every year!
Old May 1st 2009, 10:24 am
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Traditional 1st of May Muguet

We had loads in our garden in Montpezat but I didn't know about the May 1st thingy until our neighbour turned up with some for me! My partner at the time (who was a dreadful homophobic) made some cutting remarks but I ignored him and me and Michelle had a nice coffee together anyway.

The first year we were in France on 1st may however, I remember reading in La Depeche about this tradition - and my French was really very dodgy at that time, and in our area there were some weird sausages with a very similar sounding name - mugrete or something, so I am glad I didn't attempt to join in that year as turning up with a bunch of sausages would have taken some explaining I think ..................
Old May 1st 2009, 11:52 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrea50

The first year we were in France on 1st may however, I remember reading in La Depeche about this tradition - and my French was really very dodgy at that time, and in our area there were some weird sausages with a very similar sounding name - mugrete or something, so I am glad I didn't attempt to join in that year as turning up with a bunch of sausages would have taken some explaining I think ..................
Old May 1st 2009, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

L'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of light

Our Super U were handing out sprigs of muget yesterday at the tills - I think they do this every year. We have been out buying plants today and seen at least half a dozen people, often young girls, out selling muget, minimum 1 € and upwards. Lucky I went to Super U yesterday
Sue