Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Touring France for property and avoiding Sand Flies!

Touring France for property and avoiding Sand Flies!

Old May 2nd 2013, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

Shewolf48 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Touring France for property and avoiding Sand Flies!

Does anyone ever truly know what they are looking for? For heavens sake, we all live for our dreams, some people go ahead and accomplish them, while others never do so, whether they lack confidence, or lack of gumption. Either way, we can only do what we think is best and i know in my heart when something is right or not and that can't be planned, but will fall into place as i make opportunities happen. If we don't try these things, we will never find out.

So forgive me, if you think i am one of those UK people who are coming over to chase a dream that you think won't happen - we can't all be like you!
Old May 2nd 2013, 9:16 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

I've been staying with dogs (cos rest was a tad etherial), but, I understand your position. We are all searching for that 'something'. I am 'rebranding' back to UK. Not because I don't love France. Circumstances, family, a range of pressure points...
Your search will reveal lots of temptations. Your tick box will assist.
Peeps here will always offer sound advice. Keep posting. We will do our best.
Old May 2nd 2013, 9:19 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wetwang
I have met so many people touring France looking for the ideal home who I am sure will never,ever, buy anything. There will always be another region, another village, another City making it impossible to settle anywhere or make a final decision . Having no time limit also will not help your decision making.
I live in the Dordogne but could just as easily live in any of the regions mentioned.
It's like looking for Mr Right. You know he must be out there somewhere but the fun is in the looking and hoping, not the reality.
Good luck with your adventure but unless you have a clearer idea of what you are looking for you will never find it.
This. We have extended family in Normandy and have spent time there in the summers almost every year for over 40 years.

In about 2003, having discussed the future, we decided to look for a place to retire somewhere in France and began visiting areas such as Charente-Maritime, Vendee, Loire etc etc.

In 2007 we finally figured out we didn't want to retire to France but rather we wanted to retire in Normandy. Doh!

I still live in Canada for the time being and spend (too much) time reading the Canada forum on here and it's the same thing. For example Nova Scotia has virtually nothing in common with British Columbia or Alberta or Ontario or, or, or. But there's a steady stream of poster who want to "live the Canadian dream".

Whatever that is.
Old May 3rd 2013, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

wetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nice

Originally Posted by Shewolf48
Does anyone ever truly know what they are looking for? For heavens sake, we all live for our dreams, some people go ahead and accomplish them, while others never do so, whether they lack confidence, or lack of gumption. Either way, we can only do what we think is best and i know in my heart when something is right or not and that can't be planned, but will fall into place as i make opportunities happen. If we don't try these things, we will never find out.

So forgive me, if you think i am one of those UK people who are coming over to chase a dream that you think won't happen - we can't all be like you!
You seem to have taken my comments negatively. You are correct in that living for ones dreams is desirable .
As the saying goes, it is better to travel hopefully than arrive. Travel is its own reward as the Taosists say.
There is something magical in verbalising French regions . When people say 'Provence' , who have never been there it is often said with wistful eyes and a semi whispered reverence. Nobody would ever say Dorset in the same hushed tones, unless maybe you come from Provence.

Again good luck with your dream and i hope it may not be too long before you are posting on here about Tax Fonciere, Carte Vitale, inheritance laws, and QROPs. That's when the dream becomes reality but its still preferable to the distant shores and changing face of Blighty.
Old May 3rd 2013, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wetwang
You seem to have taken my comments negatively. You are correct in that living for ones dreams is desirable .
As the saying goes, it is better to travel hopefully than arrive. Travel is its own reward as the Taosists say.
There is something magical in verbalising French regions . When people say 'Provence' , who have never been there it is often said with wistful eyes and a semi whispered reverence. Nobody would ever say Dorset in the same hushed tones, unless maybe you come from Provence.

Again good luck with your dream and i hope it may not be too long before you are posting on here about Tax Fonciere, Carte Vitale, inheritance laws, and QROPs. That's when the dream becomes reality but its still preferable to the distant shores and changing face of Blighty.
Thank you x
Old May 3rd 2013, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

OrlandoSeaHorse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dennerlymum
regarding dogs be aware of piroplasmosis.. very strong foothald in certain areas and fatal. Our dog is vaccinated (60%) effective, wears a collar called scalibor and has a drop on treatment (advantix is losing its effectiveness...) If your dog gets a tick only remove it with the tick removers or the tick will regurgitate into the wound...if your dog is subsequently lethargic and very hot/vomiting get it to a vet asap to have the treatment to kill the parasites (piro) .
And with the piro "asap" to the vet means minutes not hours, never days.
Old May 3rd 2013, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

yep we watched our pup go from hot to rattly breathing in the space of an hour... never been more terrified in my life...
Old May 5th 2013, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

MNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really nice

We are just starting out, looking for a place in Brittany. We have close friends there already and they'll keep an eye on a house for us if we buy near them. It will also give us a social life without starting from scratch, as we've holiday'd with these friends many times. My husband is much more keen than me, but I can't deny him his 'dream' any longer, we are retired so have time to spend in France. I'll take previous advice and get us both to do a check list of what we want, I wonder if the lists will be similar in any way!
Old May 5th 2013, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

I have heard that Piro Sandfly is not so bad during winter months, with them going into hibernation? So if we do head on down that way, it will be from late October.
Old May 5th 2013, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

piro comes from tick and yes, we saw none from middle of NOV to end jan (winter here)
Old May 5th 2013, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry, i meant to say Leishmaniasis is supposed to hibernate during the colder months? too?
Old May 5th 2013, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

no idea.. they dont get up as far as the Gers...
Old May 5th 2013, 4:31 pm
DKP
Just Joined

DKP is an unknown quantity at this point

I spent last year travelling in the Southern part of France, starting near the Spanish border and travelling through to Marseille, always within 1 hour max of the sea.

I was also travelling with two dogs, but staying in holiday lets, rather than a caravan/camper van.

Be careful of the temps rising in the camper, unless you have a/c.
Ticks were initially a big issue, products i had bought in the UK did not keep them at bay, so a trip to the vet was needed. I am not a fan of removing them myself as I have often found a couple of legs can easily be left behind.

Mosquitos were an issue come July/August for me and one of my dogs. I had two Dobes, the black and tan had no probs, the brown/tan was a magnet for mosquitos.
The Etangs were the biggest cause of difficulties for us, both mosquitos and sand flies, and best avoided in the hot months.

If I did my trip again I would stay away from the coast in July/August, especially around Marseille where the temperatures got up to 44 degrees.

Smaller dogs tend to be welcome in all areas, if well behaved and on a lead.
Most beaches have restrictions on dogs during the day in the summer, best to check regulations on an individual basis.

I fell in love with the Pyrenees Orientals. Huge variety of landscape, for me the sea was a priority. Still good value for money, but not cheap.
The area close to the Spanish border has hot summers, and short winters that can be very cold, but not too wet.

I would be inclined to shave the poodle for the summer months, both from a practical point of view and also to minimise heat retention, but use sun cream! We always walked early morning and evening wherever we went, and swam the dogs wherever possible.

You could also consider a short term rental for the winter months, lots of properties available on a monthly basis.

Hope this helps, and have a fantastic trip.
Old May 5th 2013, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

That is extremely helpful. No worries on the van as we have AC and will probably take advice on Teddy Bear having a short haircut, although there is a slight dilemma... Keeping him short would help see and deal with ticks..BUT... the sandfly mozzies (lethal) might be deterred a bit from his soft fluffy cotton hair??

! I can deal with ticks no problem, even if i have on rare occasions left a tiny bit in, the tweezers normally get that out then disinfectant!
Should be safe ish from Octoberish then.
Old May 5th 2013, 5:24 pm
DKP
Just Joined

DKP is an unknown quantity at this point

I do not think his fluffy coat will deter the mosquitos at all.

Re the ticks, I have in the UK removed them myself on occasion, because they are not a regular occurence.

However when we arrived in France, the dogs were getting seven/eight /nine a day before our trip to the vets!! I had never seen anything like it, and mine were treated two days before we left the UK.

I am back and forth at the moment.
We were in Thuir ten days ago, only about 20 degrees, walked in the vines as usual, five ticks on day one!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.