Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Touring France for property and avoiding Sand Flies!

Touring France for property and avoiding Sand Flies!

Old May 2nd 2013, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

Shewolf48 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Touring France for property and avoiding Sand Flies!

Dear all, we have decided to take advice and make a long touring journey around France in hope of finding our future home. We have no time limit and will stop off in areas that we like, talking to locals and hopefully getting advice on particular places as we do so.

We are taking our caravan and two dogs from mid August. Needless to say, we will be fully insured (car, caravan, us and pets). The plan is to cover Brittany, Loire, Dordogne, and the south coast region. Allowing ourselves up to a year, or less if we find that perfect place for us; the idea is to embrace everything French and to practice our French too.

Any help or advice would be most welcome. One of our concerns is the dreaded sand fly (Leishmania parasite is carried by a sand fly), which usually lives in all the nice warmer locations and the South coast (active during dusk till dawn). We will have our dogs treated with Advantix which is a preventative and will ask vet if we should have the collars too, but wondered how your dogs are coping? Has anyone ever heard of cases there. It is nasty and can be fatal for dogs, normally showing signs up to 18 months after being bitten!

Thanks

Sarah x
Old May 2nd 2013, 1:28 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Touring France for property and avoiding Sand Flies!

Originally Posted by Shewolf48
Dear all, we have decided to take advice and make a long touring journey around France in hope of finding our future home. We have no time limit and will stop off in areas that we like, talking to locals and hopefully getting advice on particular places as we do so.

We are taking our caravan and two dogs from mid August. Needless to say, we will be fully insured (car, caravan, us and pets). The plan is to cover Brittany, Loire, Dordogne, and the south coast region. Allowing ourselves up to a year, or less if we find that perfect place for us; the idea is to embrace everything French and to practice our French too.

Any help or advice would be most welcome. One of our concerns is the dreaded sand fly (Leishmania parasite is carried by a sand fly), which usually lives in all the nice warmer locations and the South coast (active during dusk till dawn). We will have our dogs treated with Advantix which is a preventative and will ask vet if we should have the collars too, but wondered how your dogs are coping? Has anyone ever heard of cases there. It is nasty and can be fatal for dogs, normally showing signs up to 18 months after being bitten!

Thanks

Sarah x
I would recommend visiting these places in the winter as well as they can change a fair bit when it's bleak wet and cold.
Old May 2nd 2013, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
I would recommend visiting these places in the winter as well as they can change a fair bit when it's bleak wet and cold.
I agree, which is why we plan to stay throughout winter x
Old May 2nd 2013, 2:09 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, which is why we plan to stay throughout winter x
That is a good thing, but have you considered the logistics of driving around with a caravan and finding places to stop during the winter?
Old May 2nd 2013, 3:53 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

I would be more concerned about tics. They are persistent and need care to prise out of the dog's skin. Advantix and other stuff does help. I seem to recall it's cheaper in UK. We have used collars, not sure they did any good though.
You need to beware the mossies for yourselves. Plug-ins are quite good and in every supermarket. Take bite cream also.

Do you have a tick list of want and don't want. Vendée for instance is a bit of a microclimate and summer temps don't normally roast your brains. We are 10 mins from beaches which we wanted.
Old May 2nd 2013, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

regarding dogs be aware of piroplasmosis.. very strong foothald in certain areas and fatal. Our dog is vaccinated (60%) effective, wears a collar called scalibor and has a drop on treatment (advantix is losing its effectiveness...) If your dog gets a tick only remove it with the tick removers or the tick will regurgitate into the wound...if your dog is subsequently lethargic and very hot/vomiting get it to a vet asap to have the treatment to kill the parasites (piro) .

Sorry to go on but our dog nearly died from this last year!

Regarding places to visit dont forget the Gers and Ariege... both beautiful and worth a look
Old May 2nd 2013, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
That is a good thing, but have you considered the logistics of driving around with a caravan and finding places to stop during the winter?
Yes, i have been checking up on the few campsites that are open all year round and we have a very efficient heater in the van x
Old May 2nd 2013, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

We are going to get our dogs doubly protected with Advantix and the collars. Thanks x
Old May 2nd 2013, 6:59 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

We are going to get our dogs doubly protected with Advantix and the collars. Thanks x
You don't say in your original post how well you know France already.

Re your dogs, I'm sure you are taking action. My profile tells you I have a JR, in fact two, Bess as you see and Poppy a smooth coat JR with one eye I always anticipate summer problems, no matter what precautions I have taken. There is no magic 'pill'. You need to be vigilant and as grannybunz advises, have the tick tool. If I'm teaching you to suck eggs, apologies. Posts can lack empathy. Never force a tick out with the V tool; gently does it to get out the jaws. They get left in, then infection follows.

Regarding your search, have you any specifics to share. The south is without doubt stunning. Are you thinking of moving full time? I mentioned tick boxes. Can you share? You will be astonished at the good advice available here.
Old May 2nd 2013, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

I'm a bit concerned about my poodle cross Chihuahua, as he has the traditional poodle coat and needs 6 week trips to be trimmed up (which i am sure that the French are experts at). He would be a concern with checking his coat regularly. Sad to say, i am very, very attached to him (at 48 years old, i'm turning into the funny old dog lady with the tiny dog!). It makes me wonder if after making a tour of France, we should look more seriously at the Northern Brittany/Loire areas for the permanent move.

We had plans to take our sea kayak into some of the rivers, but it looks like we may have to be extra vigilant of the mozzies around damp warm conditions.

We have traveled France extensively, but our July two week trip will be the first time with our dogs (Pontivy Brittany Gite with English owners - we are taking mum and dad too). We then plan to return mid August for the longer trip.

I guess we can only do as much as we can, possibly walking the dogs during the day, but keeping them in the caravan past 5pm until 8am in the morning, keeping the mozzie blinds down and plug ins to help. The Camargue would be a definite no! We had thought about making part of our trip into Italy, but have been told that this area is even worse - how do people manage cope?

We are planning our route just now and if anyone knows of places that are really bad for dogs, please let me know. We would also welcome information on where dogs are welcome in towns, so we know the protocol for dog owners.
Old May 2nd 2013, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

Oh, just to say, that we have had a smallholding in the UK (rented for a while) and would like to look for a cottage (2/3 beds with potential for more) and livable, with the great old style fireplace that i have seen in many houses, big, big garden and storage barn or equivalent. We have seen lots on Leggett and other sites, but just need to find the right location; warm and sunny during the summer (a real summer, not the wet UK ones!) don't care what the winter throws our way, and be able to have chickens again, perhaps some geese and possibly a horse with a donkey called Steve! Oh, and not too dry, so we could possibly grow some veg.
Old May 2nd 2013, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Never heard of Leishmania parasite. Been here years, and we've had a number of dogs.
Following link may be of interest, but no need to worry unduly,
http://www.parasitesandvectors.com/content/3/1/31

Splash a few drops of Pastis on the dogs whilst your enjoying your aperitif. Keeps all parasites away; that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.....
Old May 2nd 2013, 8:30 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

I suppose I am saying don't take anything for granted ref the dogs. Daytime walks are the risk. Look, I don't wish to worry you, but walks in the country can pose threats. Visual check - get the old folks involved - ears are a favourite for ticks. Been there. Hairy dogs more a problem.
PS: most popular dog in France ain't the poodle, it be the Yorkie
Old May 2nd 2013, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Strangely enough, my friend advised me to spray the Avon Skin So Soft all over when we went up to Scotland for her wedding. I'm normally the one that gets eaten, so i used it. First time ever, no bites! Absolutely nothing! Mike, my husband, however, got eaten alive, we could see the buggers swarming around him poor soul. Guess could try that on the digs too and they will smell great
Old May 2nd 2013, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

wetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nice

I have met so many people touring France looking for the ideal home who I am sure will never,ever, buy anything. There will always be another region, another village, another City making it impossible to settle anywhere or make a final decision . Having no time limit also will not help your decision making.
I live in the Dordogne but could just as easily live in any of the regions mentioned.
It's like looking for Mr Right. You know he must be out there somewhere but the fun is in the looking and hoping, not the reality.
Good luck with your adventure but unless you have a clearer idea of what you are looking for you will never find it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.