Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Those 'wacky' UK travel rules

Those 'wacky' UK travel rules

Old Sep 18th 2021, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

Xendo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Those 'wacky' UK travel rules

I am an English resident in France and I am now "double vaccinated". I have been waiting for Boris to change the rules concerning travelling back to the UK for a visit (it has been over a year waiting to go back!). It seems he is finally going to relax the rules after October 4, so that double vaccinated people can visit without prior testing in France and only needing the cheaper 'lateral flow' test when arriving in England (or does this happen at the end of October?).
I have an English friend, who is married to a Frenchman living in France, and wants to visit the UK as well, to see her English family. She had COVID-19 in France last year, and has since had ONE vaccination. I'm not sure how the rules apply to her and her children entering the UK. Does she still have to have a proir 'negative' test result before crossing over to England, or is she in the same category as us 'double-vaccinated' types? Also what is the status of her children (under 12, I think) getting tested?

Last edited by Xendo; Sep 18th 2021 at 10:17 pm.
Old Sep 19th 2021, 5:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Those 'wacky' UK travel rules

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/n...ational-travel

Fully vaccinated seems to mean what it says. You have to have completed your course of vaccination at least 14 (?) days previous to travel. One out of two isn't fully vaccinated. Having had Covid doesn't seem to come into the equation. So she would need the full monty.
The change to lateral flow hasn't happened yet. Apparently it will change at the end of October, not because the health risk or the science is going to change or anything but to encourage lots of people to book overseas travel in the half term holiday. Until then they will carry on ripping people off because why not.
I can't see any reference to children. I don't think Schapps has thought of that.

Old Sep 19th 2021, 8:24 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/n...ational-travel

Fully vaccinated seems to mean what it says. You have to have completed your course of vaccination at least 14 (?) days previous to travel. One out of two isn't fully vaccinated. Having had Covid doesn't seem to come into the equation. So she would need the full monty.
The change to lateral flow hasn't happened yet. Apparently it will change at the end of October, not because the health risk or the science is going to change or anything but to encourage lots of people to book overseas travel in the half term holiday. Until then they will carry on ripping people off because why not.
I can't see any reference to children. I don't think Schapps has thought of that.
I still can't highlight, but just to say that one of my French in-laws had Covid last year and she only needed one vaccination this year due to the antibodies produced. I believe her Pass Sanitaire mentions that she recovered from Covid, hence one vaccination only.
Old Sep 19th 2021, 8:57 am
Just Joined

As dmu said, I think that only one vaccination is needed in France if you have already had Covid. However, it really doesn't clear things up as to how that affects travelling to the UK, which doesn't seem to mention people who already had Covid, and how that would be accepted in the UK. The whole information online is a bit of a shambles, to be honest, and the vague promise of 'end of October' for lateral flow tests is so vague, that it is difficult to plan when exactly to travel.
I wish I had some more definitive answers for my friend, who wants to travel back in October (sounds as if it is going to be expensive still). As for me, I'm waiting until November, when hopefully someone will have a better idea as to what is going on. At least, it seems, there will be no 10 day quarantine, if arriving in England from France, from October 4.
Old Sep 19th 2021, 9:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-to-quarantine-when-you-arrive-in-england

What counts as fully vaccinated

You may not be considered to be fully vaccinated for the purpose of entering the UK even if you’re considered to be fully vaccinated in your country of origin.

In the UK, ‘fully vaccinated’ means you’ve had either:
  • 2 doses of an approved 2 dose vaccine (such as Pfizer or AstraZeneca)
  • one dose of an approved single dose vaccine (such as Janssen)
You must have had your final dose at least 14 whole days before you arrive in England. The day you had your final dose does not count as one of the 14 days.

I think we have to assume that if no exceptions eg for people who have had Covid are currenly mentioned, then there are currently no exceptions. That is their definition and I don't think you will get more definitive than that.

As dmu says, "I believe her Pass Sanitaire mentions that she recovered from Covid, hence one vaccination only." and the UK website above clearly says "You need to show an EU Digital COVID Certificate (EU DCC), showing you’ve had a full course of an EMA or Swissmedic-approved vaccine in one of the listed European countries." So an EU certificate saying you have had one vaccination out of two, would not be accepted. Unless, of course, they don't actually bother to read it.

Last edited by EuroTrash; Sep 19th 2021 at 9:20 am.
Old Sep 19th 2021, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

You should also note that in the UK Covid Winter "plan" that Lateral Flow Tests will no longer be provided FOC so companies can now rip you off in another way No date has been given for the start of the charge but my money is on it happening when the requirement for a PCR test ends
Old Sep 19th 2021, 2:10 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xendo
As dmu said, I think that only one vaccination is needed in France if you have already had Covid. However, it really doesn't clear things up as to how that affects travelling to the UK, which doesn't seem to mention people who already had Covid, and how that would be accepted in the UK. The whole information online is a bit of a shambles, to be honest, and the vague promise of 'end of October' for lateral flow tests is so vague, that it is difficult to plan when exactly to travel.
I wish I had some more definitive answers for my friend, who wants to travel back in October (sounds as if it is going to be expensive still). As for me, I'm waiting until November, when hopefully someone will have a better idea as to what is going on. At least, it seems, there will be no 10 day quarantine, if arriving in England from France, from October 4.
Your friend wants to travel at the end of October for the Vacances de la Toussaint? Things might be sorted out by then, but she needs to book as from now in order not to pay the earth later. In doubt, I would postpone the trip to another lot of school holidays, or invite the English family to come over to France....
I've been dithering about flying over after nearly 2 years, but the present shambles is putting me off....
Old Sep 19th 2021, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

I shall inform her that it might be best (and less expensive) to wait a bit longer. I'm not sure she has to get a second dose. France advise only one dose of vaccine for people with healthy immunes systems and a confirmed previous diagnosis (I'm not sure how that squares the circle as far as GB goes). I think she wanted to surprise one of her family members who is having a birthday in October. Shame... Still families don't seem to be top of the list of importance to this government. I'm still worried that the Covid rate is so high in England as well, and no-one is wearing masks to events and shops, unlike here in France.
Anyway thanks to everyone for all the input. Maybe things will become clearer in November, when I hope to pop over to Blighty!
Old Sep 19th 2021, 4:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Listen Very Carefully
You should also note that in the UK Covid Winter "plan" that Lateral Flow Tests will no longer be provided FOC so companies can now rip you off in another way No date has been given for the start of the charge but my money is on it happening when the requirement for a PCR test ends
They've said they'll be covered for the next few months, next year is when they're proposing to charge from. No exact date yet but the the full text of the plan hasn't been published yet - it was a 60 page document last year that covered every detail, so we've got no way of knowing for sure until that's been published. But lateral flow tests wouldn't be free for travellers now anyway. They're only free now for UK residents in certain situations (school children that have to do them twice a week, those with symptoms, etc).

Old Sep 19th 2021, 4:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

and no-one is wearing masks to events and shops
They certainly are where I am (south east England). Pretty much everybody has still been masked up in every shop, restaurant, cafe, etc, that I've been in since the restrictions eased. I did Costco this week and only saw one person without a mask.
Old Sep 20th 2021, 7:32 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I shall inform her that it might be best (and less expensive) to wait a bit longer. I'm not sure she has to get a second dose. France advise only one dose of vaccine for people with healthy immunes systems and a confirmed previous diagnosis (I'm not sure how that squares the circle as far as GB goes). I think she wanted to surprise one of her family members who is having a birthday in October. Shame... Still families don't seem to be top of the list of importance to this government. I'm still worried that the Covid rate is so high in England as well, and no-one is wearing masks to events and shops, unlike here in France.
Anyway thanks to everyone for all the input. Maybe things will become clearer in November, when I hope to pop over to Blighty!
"Families don't seem to be top of the list of importance to this government". This should read "Expat families" - the French Govt has been doing its best to protect the elderly and vulnerable in France since the beginning, prohibiting visits to EHPADs and hospitals before the vaccinations were created, among other family-related measures.
People (French or of any nationality living in France) with family outside the country have been penalized for over 18 months and, since the Pass Sanitaire, we're now crossing the EU borders without hassle. The UK is the complication...
P.S. Forgot to suggest that your friend consult her G.P. re a second vaccination, explaining the UK rules....
Old Sep 20th 2021, 8:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
They certainly are where I am (south east England). Pretty much everybody has still been masked up in every shop, restaurant, cafe, etc, that I've been in since the restrictions eased. I did Costco this week and only saw one person without a mask.
Phew! That is a bit of a relief!
I just see pictures in the news of unmasked crowds on beaches and at football matches, and feared the worst!
Old Sep 20th 2021, 8:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Phew! That is a bit of a relief!
I just see pictures in the news of unmasked crowds on beaches and at football matches, and feared the worst!
Football crowds are a different breed I suspect. I've not been to any large scale events, I think people are definitely more relaxed outside though, but certainly in the shops/restaurants etc I've been in, the vast majority (if not all) are still masking up. My kids also still have to wear masks at school/college too.
Old Sep 20th 2021, 8:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
They've said they'll be covered for the next few months, next year is when they're proposing to charge from. No exact date yet but the the full text of the plan hasn't been published yet - it was a 60 page document last year that covered every detail, so we've got no way of knowing for sure until that's been published. But lateral flow tests wouldn't be free for travellers now anyway. They're only free now for UK residents in certain situations (school children that have to do them twice a week, those with symptoms, etc).
I wonder if the UK will allow us, who are living in France, to take a lateral flow test kit over from France when we travel to the UK, which might turn out to be cheaper? Just musing, as I'm not sure where it will have to be sent to, when done.
Old Sep 20th 2021, 9:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I wonder if the UK will allow us, who are living in France, to take a lateral flow test kit over from France when we travel to the UK, which might turn out to be cheaper? Just musing, as I'm not sure where it will have to be sent to, when done.
I very much doubt it to be honest. I suspect you will still have to book and pay upfront, before you are allowed to travel. Of course it would be cheaper to take your own but why should the government be interested in what's best for you.
I do actually believe that there are vested interests in all the money that is being made from testing, I don't see why else the whole system would have been set up as it has been, and allowed to continue for so long when it was so obviously flawed.
I believe each provider has its own procedure. Some require their tests to be taken to a drop off point, some require it to be posted in a post box that's part of the scheme and some send a courier to collect it. You are paying upfront for the end to end service, the delivery and the processing of the test, and you pays your money and takes your choice. Except in Wales where I believe there is no choice, there is only one provider for Wales. But buying your own kit, never has been an option and I doubt it will be for as long as the test remains compulsory.
There is nothing to stop you taking your own lateral flow test to use for your own peace of mind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.