Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

thinking of moving from Alberta to France

thinking of moving from Alberta to France

Old Sep 1st 2012, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

katiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nice
Default thinking of moving from Alberta to France

Well, we've lived the dream here in Alberta - with some nightmare moments - and are looking to the now-no-too-distant future - retiring to France was our long-term goal even before the Canadian adventure came up.

Anyone any suggestions about the pros/cons, moving companies etc, all comments welcome

Katie
Old Sep 1st 2012, 2:58 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: thinking of moving from Alberta to France

Originally Posted by katiemoon
Well, we've lived the dream here in Alberta - with some nightmare moments - and are looking to the now-no-too-distant future - retiring to France was our long-term goal even before the Canadian adventure came up.

Anyone any suggestions about the pros/cons, moving companies etc, all comments welcome

Katie
I have nothing to say about moving companies. But I'm also retiring to France.

Do you have a particular destination in mind?

We'll be in Normandy.

There are no cons.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 4:42 am
Forum Regular

katiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nice

We have owned a house in the Charente for the past 10 years and always spent as much time there as we could when we lived in the UK.
We went back for a visit this summer and realised it's the place we want to be - close enough to travel backto the UK (without jetlag!) to visit family & friends - and have them visit us more often.
My ancestry on both sides is French (a long way back, but I always feel at home whenever I'm there) and we have good friends in the area - both English & French - something we are short of here in Alberta.
Plus, the Canadian weather - whilst wonderfully sunny and lots of blue skies - has no Spring to speak of, hardly any Autumn and very long winters...

Katie
Old Sep 1st 2012, 9:44 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Katie
Hi Katie

Heres a thread I started re the new tax laws..

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=768528

Just something to consider....

Jon
Old Sep 1st 2012, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Hi Katie

Heres a thread I started re the new tax laws..

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=768528

Just something to consider....

Jon
Only applies to second homes.
If they move back to their home in Charente and declare it as primary residence then it is not a problem.
The resident french have already had to pay the social contribution in addition to capital gain on second homes but non-residents have not.
You do benefit from the sliding scale mentioned in Jon's post from the time of purchase until the time of sale of the french property.

I suggest that the OP looks at this site which is full of good information.
http://www.notaires.fr/notaires/en/jsp/site/Portal.jsp
Have a look at inheritance laws if you have family esp if you have second marriages. The law in France is very different from the UK law - don't know about Canadian.

You will have to look at importation of goods from outside the EU. Search the forum for previous threads.
Good luck
Old Sep 1st 2012, 1:22 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
Have a look at inheritance laws if you have family esp if you have second marriages. The law in France is very different from the UK law - don't know about Canadian.
Canadian practice is very similar to the UK, with the important difference that there's no Inheritance Tax.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 1:26 pm
Born again atheist

We have owned a house in the Charente for the past 10 years and always spent as much time there as we could when we lived in the UK.
We went back for a visit this summer and realised it's the place we want to be - close enough to travel backto the UK (without jetlag!) to visit family & friends - and have them visit us more often.
My ancestry on both sides is French (a long way back, but I always feel at home whenever I'm there) and we have good friends in the area - both English & French - something we are short of here in Alberta.
Plus, the Canadian weather - whilst wonderfully sunny and lots of blue skies - has no Spring to speak of, hardly any Autumn and very long winters...

Katie
We have much in common. The Richmond Hill we live in now is the one just outside Toronto, so I know very well the deficiencies of the Canadian climate.

Also, similar to yourself, the missus is half french with lots of family connections in the area where we have our house in France.
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 12:21 am
FSH
Just Joined

FSH is an unknown quantity at this point

Katie
Well here's another Albertan looking to move to France. We live between Red Deer and Calgary for 16 years now (german roots but will never go back there). I think the climate part is one of the biggest reasons for us to leave. Had a good time with lots of scary times as well...no regrets. Which part of Alberta are you from?
I was in France 4 times this year looking and searching....the Gers and perhaps along the Loire south of Paris are areas where we might move to if we can manage it. The french language is not an easy task to master and
also the tax side is difficult as I want to keep "just in case property here".
Does anyone of this Forum know a good accountant who has experience with the tax laws of both countries?
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FSH
Well here's another Albertan looking to move to France. We live between Red Deer and Calgary for 16 years now (german roots but will never go back there). I think the climate part is one of the biggest reasons for us to leave. Had a good time with lots of scary times as well...no regrets. Which part of Alberta are you from?
I was in France 4 times this year looking and searching....the Gers and perhaps along the Loire south of Paris are areas where we might move to if we can manage it. The french language is not an easy task to master and
also the tax side is difficult as I want to keep "just in case property here".
Does anyone of this Forum know a good accountant who has experience with the tax laws of both countries?
The tax issues need not be difficult - just different because the way the french apply tax is different.
If you are "tax resident" in France then you will pay tax on your worldwide income and assets.
There is a double taxation treaty between France and Canada which means that you don't pay twice.
Any income that is taxed in Canada should be declared on your french tax return.
If you have assets (including Canadian) exceeding ~€1M (check current figure) you will pay "wealth tax".
You will pay sales tax of 21% on your purchases.
When you die your estate will be divided as specified in french law and will be liable to inheritance tax.
Have a look at this site: http://www.notaires.fr/notaires/en/jsp/site/Portal.jsp
If you need any help with the Loire valley I may be able to help.
Good luck
Old Sep 8th 2012, 12:31 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
The tax issues need not be difficult - just different because the way the french apply tax is different.
If you are "tax resident" in France then you will pay tax on your worldwide income and assets.
There is a double taxation treaty between France and Canada which means that you don't pay twice.
Any income that is taxed in Canada should be declared on your french tax return.
If you have assets (including Canadian) exceeding ~€1M (check current figure) you will pay "wealth tax".
You will pay sales tax of 21% on your purchases.
When you die your estate will be divided as specified in french law and will be liable to inheritance tax.
Have a look at this site: http://www.notaires.fr/notaires/en/jsp/site/Portal.jsp
If you need any help with the Loire valley I may be able to help.
Good luck
Hi I found a great site that will give you all sorts of info on moving, taxation, health etc etc. I posted it here.... it seems up to date as it has the new 2nd home tax rules.....

It is a mine of information IMHO

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...1&postcount=12

Good luck
Jon