Car insurance

Old Sep 6th 2017, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

Endonurse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car insurance

Could somebody help me before I string myself up from the nearest rafter. We are moving to the Averyon middle of October. We are in the process of selling good old Ford car and buying a left hand drive car. I seem to be going in ever decreasing circles with the insurance. According to our car insurers we are okay until we get to France then they won't cover us, we have to be covered by French insurance. We can't get French insurance because we haven't got utility bills to prove we are living where we say. Now we can't be the first people in this situation, any suggestions would be very helpful.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance

Where are you buying your LHD car? UK or France?

UK: you can ask your insurance company for a "Green Card",. but it depends on your cover. It may need to be upgraded. Green Card will typically give you cover for up to 3 months depending on the company.

Might be worth keeping 'old ford' until you are established in FR and buy a car there.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by calman014
Where are you buying your LHD car? UK or France?

UK: you can ask your insurance company for a "Green Card",. but it depends on your cover. It may need to be upgraded. Green Card will typically give you cover for up to 3 months depending on the company.

Might be worth keeping 'old ford' until you are established in FR and buy a car there.
Thank you for your swift reply. We have ford on lease so need to sell in uk, ford won't let us take it with us and we are buying lhd in uk. Would be easier to fly then buy in France but have got 1 dog and 4 cats to bring over. So we will be driving down. Hopefully!
Old Sep 6th 2017, 4:44 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Endonurse
Thank you for your swift reply. We have ford on lease so need to sell in uk, ford won't let us take it with us and we are buying lhd in uk. Would be easier to fly then buy in France but have got 1 dog and 4 cats to bring over. So we will be driving down. Hopefully!
Why not buy the Lhd car in France it would save you the agro of then having to re'register it here.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 6:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

If you buy a car on French plates in the UK make very very very very sure that you have all the documents you need to do a change of ownership in France. You need the vehicle registration document (carte grise) which MUST be endorsed by the person whose name and address is given on it as the legal owner; you need a statement called the declaration de cession which MUST be filled in signed and dated by the PREVIOUS OWNER and yourself; ideally if it's of an age to require it you need a controle technique (equivalent of MOT) certificate issued less than 6 months previous; and ideally you should get a certificat de non gage to ensure that there are no debts outstanding on the car.

I don't know about the insurance but maybe you could get temporary cover until you are settled in France, eg Chassis Number Insurance | Online Quotes | ACORN INSURANCE - please note I know nothing about this company but I saw them suggested on another forum.

Last edited by EuroTrash; Sep 6th 2017 at 6:41 pm.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
If you buy a car on French plates in the UK make very very very very sure that you have all the documents you need to do a change of ownership in France. You need the vehicle registration document (carte grise) which MUST be endorsed by the person whose name and address is given on it as the legal owner; you need a statement called the declaration de cession which MUST be filled in signed and dated by the PREVIOUS OWNER and yourself; ideally if it's of an age to require it you need a controle technique (equivalent of MOT) certificate issued less than 6 months previous; and ideally you should get a certificat de non gage to ensure that there are no debts outstanding on the car.

I don't know about the insurance but maybe you could get temporary cover until you are settled in France, eg Chassis Number Insurance | Online Quotes | ACORN INSURANCE - please note I know nothing about this company but I saw them suggested on another forum.
Thank you for your reply. I will look into your suggestions, but not tonight my brain is fried with all the other things for the move.
Old Sep 13th 2017, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Could somebody help me before I string myself up from the nearest rafter. We are moving to the Averyon middle of October. We are in the process of selling good old Ford car and buying a left hand drive car. I seem to be going in ever decreasing circles with the insurance. According to our car insurers we are okay until we get to France then they won't cover us, we have to be covered by French insurance. We can't get French insurance because we haven't got utility bills to prove we are living where we say. Now we can't be the first people in this situation, any suggestions would be very helpful.
Presumably you've bought a house or are renting one in which case either a copy of the acte or the rental agreement should prove adequate as proof of address for car insurance.
Old Sep 13th 2017, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

cardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
Why not buy the Lhd car in France it would save you the agro of then having to re'register it here.

Saves the aggro but increases costs substantially.

You can buy a second hand car in UK for a third of the price of similar in France. My 9 year old Berlingo cost me £900. How much are Berlingos in France?

If your driving skills are poor perhaps LHD is better but for most it makes little difference.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

Countryreverie is an unknown quantity at this point

Agree with Cardi . I brought my RHD over nearly 3 years ago and have no problems at all.
The only issue is trying to overtake large tractors or lorries when visibility is restricted. Personally I'm never in such a hurry that i can't be patient. Re-registering was straightforward.
By the way we are in Aveyron so if you need any local knowledge feel free to pm.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 10:51 am
Just Joined

Hurrah, problem solved, for the time being. Have bought a LHD Peugeot with British number plates. So we have changed our insurance over from Ford. We will then re register it when we get to France and take out French car insurance. Does that sound too easy?
Old Sep 25th 2017, 1:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Hurrah, problem solved, for the time being. Have bought a LHD Peugeot with British number plates. So we have changed our insurance over from Ford. We will then re register it when we get to France and take out French car insurance. Does that sound too easy?
Way to go
Old Sep 25th 2017, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Is the speedo in km and the lights dip to the correct side for France?
You need to get a document which states your no claims bonus from your Ford insurance otherwise it will cost you lots more to insure in France.
Oh, I have just seen that you were leasing - good luck.
FYI. You can register the car in France in joint names which means either owner can sell the car but you would need a) a passport or b)birth certificates and marriage certificate depending on how bloody-minded the fonctionaire is at the prefecture.
Normally, you need to have these certificates less than 3 months old for various procedures in France and sometimes they have to be translated.
HTH
Old Sep 25th 2017, 2:03 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian

Is the speedo in km and the lights dip to the correct side for France?
You need to get a document which states your no claims bonus from your Ford insurance otherwise it will cost you lots more to insure in France.
Oh, I have just seen that you were leasing - good luck.
FYI. You can register the car in France in joint names which means either owner can sell the car but you would need a) a passport or b)birth certificates and marriage certificate depending on how bloody-minded the fonctionaire is at the prefecture.
Normally, you need to have these certificates less than 3 months old for various procedures in France and sometimes they have to be translated.
HTH
Now he tells me.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Now he tells me.
One tries to please.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 2:31 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
One tries to please.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.