Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Thank you Normandy for a positive take on Brexit

Thank you Normandy for a positive take on Brexit

Old Feb 1st 2020, 8:19 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thank you Normandy for a positive take on Brexit

Here is a wonderful positive message from our friends in Normandy, as we wake up outside of the EU

Entente cordiale at its best, and not forgetting historic alliances that help to define our friendship.

Jon

Old Feb 1st 2020, 8:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thank you Normandy for a positive take on Brexit

+1 ^^

Funnily enough I went to see the Bayeux Tapestry just before Christmas, I never had before despite living so close. Great experience, I recommend it.
(Though I did see a little notice that was very non-commital about the future loan of the Tapestry to the UK...)
Old Feb 1st 2020, 8:38 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
+1 ^^

Funnily enough I went to see the Bayeux Tapestry just before Christmas, I never had before despite living so close. Great experience, I recommend it.
(Though I did see a little notice that was very non-commital about the future loan of the Tapestry to the UK...)
Hi ET, thanks you got me thinking here, as I really don't know much about it.... Wow it's 68m long!

Here is some info in case anyone is interested....

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayeux_Tapestry

Jon
Old Feb 1st 2020, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Hi ET, thanks you got me thinking here, as I really don't know much about it.... Wow it's 68m long!

Here is some info in case anyone is interested....

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayeux_Tapestry

Jon
For me the awesome thing was just the sense of HOW OLD it is - a real piece of history that has survived through the ages and is right there in front of you.
Saying that it is amazing in itself as well, there is so much detail. I spent ages there. In fact I walked along it twice, first time listening to the audio guide which is quite good and points out details that you probably would miss otherwise, then I went back to the start and did it again taking my time and picking out details for myself.
Old Feb 1st 2020, 9:21 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
For me the awesome thing was just the sense of HOW OLD it is - a real piece of history that has survived through the ages and is right there in front of you.
Saying that it is amazing in itself as well, there is so much detail. I spent ages there. In fact I walked along it twice, first time listening to the audio guide which is quite good and points out details that you probably would miss otherwise, then I went back to the start and did it again taking my time and picking out details for myself.
Im sold. Definitely top of the list when we go there next!

Thanks
Jon
Old Feb 1st 2020, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

Visit - For up to 90 days in a 12 month period
Work - If you have skills that the French cannot find in any of the EU nations, ie, unique skills/highly qualified
Study - If you can afford to pay third country national rates (with a few exceptions, usually far more than French or EU-citizen rates)
Trade - If you are lucky enough to do this without knowing yet if a trade deal can be agreed or not before the transition-year ends, and whatever arrangements may or may not be included in either case (more crystal ball guess work at this time).
Live ...... non
Old Feb 1st 2020, 3:28 pm
On a grand tour

tooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red_Wine_Fairy
Visit - For up to 90 days in a 12 month period
Work - If you have skills that the French cannot find in any of the EU nations, ie, unique skills/highly qualified
Study - If you can afford to pay third country national rates (with a few exceptions, usually far more than French or EU-citizen rates)
Trade - If you are lucky enough to do this without knowing yet if a trade deal can be agreed or not before the transition-year ends, and whatever arrangements may or may not be included in either case (more crystal ball guess work at this time).
Live ...... non
Will the doom-mongering never stop??
There are tens of thousands of Brits residing in France. Have I missed something? Are they being rounded up for deportation? And what about the hundreds of thousands of other non-EU nationals living in France (American, Canadian, Japanese, Chinese, many African nationalities) - how do they manage?
Old Feb 1st 2020, 4:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat056 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, Red Wine Fairy, stop being so negative. Even you must know that since 2300 on Friday the chocolate ration has gone up from 4oz to 3oz.
Old Feb 2nd 2020, 1:34 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Not unsurprising given HM The Queen is the Duke of Normandy.
Old Feb 3rd 2020, 12:13 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Not unsurprising given HM The Queen is the Duke of Normandy.
How did that happen? Oh, yes. 1066 And All That.
Old Feb 3rd 2020, 2:55 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
How did that happen? Oh, yes. 1066 And All That.
Indeed. My surname came across with the Breton mercenaries who accompanied William the Conqueror on his successful English real estate acquisition
Old Feb 4th 2020, 9:15 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Indeed. My surname came across with the Breton mercenaries who accompanied William the Conqueror on his successful English real estate acquisition
Did you know that Walt Disney is/was a descendant of Guy d'Isigny who also accompanied Bill the Conker?
Old Feb 4th 2020, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Did you know that Walt Disney is/was a descendant of Guy d'Isigny who also accompanied Bill the Conker?
I knew the Disney name was an anglicised variant of D’Isigny as that was one of the arguments put forward to persuade the French to allow Euro Disney to be built.