Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Teaching Opportunities

Teaching Opportunities

Old Nov 24th 2016, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching Opportunities

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
I think that's oversimplifying it a bit but yes, the system is set up to discourage longer working hours.
Mind you when you say "imposed on workers" - look at all the fuss there was over the loi du travail earlier this year, when workers took to the streets at the idea of being expected to work longer hours...
Basically it comes down to the meaning of liff doesn't it. France sees work as part of the social fabric - you work in order to contribute to society, ie providing a useful service and making a financial contribution to support the social security system for everyone's benefit, and to make France a good place to live in for everyone. You run a business in order to contribute to society on a larger scale, ie providing a useful service, making a financial contribution to the social security system etc, and also creating employment so that other people can do the same. The UK sees employment as a way of earning money for yourself, and running a business as a way of making money for the shareholders.
Yes I know that's another gross over-simplification, and the times they are a-changing, but still it all has to be seen in context. France and the UK are poles apart in their views.
Yes exactly.
The reason I used the word "imposed" is because unions or competitors can apply the law to prevent workers from working additional hours even if they want to.
In addition, It is against the law for my local boulanger or restaurant (both proprietors) from opening 7 days a week even if it is their personal wish to do so.
Old Nov 24th 2016, 9:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
Yes exactly.
The reason I used the word "imposed" is because unions or competitors can apply the law to prevent workers from working additional hours even if they want to.
In addition, It is against the law for my local boulanger or restaurant (both proprietors) from opening 7 days a week even if it is their personal wish to do so.
Indeed. I think we're saying the same thing. France see it from the angle of what's best for society and social harmony - no disloyal competition, respect everyone's right to personal and family life, etc etc. The UK sees it from the angle of letting individuals do what they want. As dear old Maggie said: "There is no such thing as society".
Old Nov 24th 2016, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

luckycarrot is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow are can't believe how many people are taking the time and effort to contribute a response - thank you so much. I'm finding the debating and comments very interesting. Yes interesting how uk and France view work so differently , I hadn't fully appreciated that. Thank you also for the comments and link regarding setting up a small business. I guess my best bet is to super advance my French so I'm in a better position when I get there. Also I appreciated the comment about just enjoying my baby and settling in first.
Just a couple of last comments then i promise to exit!!!! Did someone say you couldn't run a small business (eg English group) from your home? And what are train fares like (ie are they as horrendous as uk!) as we're looking at living out from Bordeaux but near a train line. Thank you again - definitely the best forum around for great info and super nice/helpful people :0)
Old Nov 24th 2016, 1:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luckycarrot
Wow are can't believe how many people are taking the time and effort to contribute a response
Not as selfless as you might think - I'm working on a particularly brain-numbing project this week, and having something to take my mind off it from time to time keeps me sane.

The problem isn't so much running a business from home, as turning your home into a place to which the public will have access. It's potentially a bit of a minefield. Insurance, elf and safety, plus I think you might need to get approval for change of use, which you don't if you just for instance run an internet business and don't have business visitors. But also, France is I think far ahead of the UK in PMR legislation (PMR = persons with reduced mobility) and is tightening up all the time. If it is on a small scale then hopefully common sense will prevail but if you ever wanted to operate on a larger scale or you got an awkward official, it could be an issue. You're not necessarily going to want to have wheelchair ramps and a stairlift and a disabled loo and all the rest of it put into your home.

Someone else will give you the gen on TGV fares to Bordeaux but I've always found train fares in France very reasonable compared to the UK.
Old Nov 24th 2016, 2:06 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Just a couple of last comments then i promise to exit!!!! Did someone say you couldn't run a small business (eg English group) from your home? And what are train fares like (ie are they as horrendous as uk!) as we're looking at living out from Bordeaux but near a train line.
Your house would certainly have to conform to "elf & safety" if you receive clients, especially if you're minding children. You wouldn't have to set up a business if you became an Assistante Maternelle, as you'd be employed by the Conseil Général, but if you organise "groups" of any type, you'd have to. And, as ET says, you might find yourself having to install various disability aids in your home...
I checked on the SNCF site, and a single from Bordeaux to (for example) Libourne costs 8 € in a TER (regional train) and about 11€ in a TGV. My département (Hérault) offers single tickets for 1€ on certain trains, within the département. Likewise single bus tickets for 1€. Something to look into for the Gironde?
And please don't exit on us!!
Old Nov 25th 2016, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Wow are can't believe how many people are taking the time and effort to contribute a response - thank you so much. I'm finding the debating and comments very interesting. Yes interesting how uk and France view work so differently , I hadn't fully appreciated that. Thank you also for the comments and link regarding setting up a small business. I guess my best bet is to super advance my French so I'm in a better position when I get there. Also I appreciated the comment about just enjoying my baby and settling in first.
Just a couple of last comments then i promise to exit!!!! Did someone say you couldn't run a small business (eg English group) from your home? And what are train fares like (ie are they as horrendous as uk!) as we're looking at living out from Bordeaux but near a train line. Thank you again - definitely the best forum around for great info and super nice/helpful people :0)
It certainly sounds as if you are wisely heeding advise from those here who really know their stuff, and not throwing caution to the wind - as so many do, and realize only too late that they've made a dreadful mistake.
Your comment to "super advance" your French makes real sense, in fact it's a must! It's a reality that there are so many job seekers here who have a reasonable knowledge of English in addition to their French mother tongue, and believe me even they are finding it next to impossible to find any suitable employment.
Many of us are also closely watching the political scene here, to see if there are signs of a recovery from the shocking state of the countries economy.
The wisest advise that could be given to anyone planning to move to France to retire, or to set up a business, would be to wait. Wait at least until May 2017 when we should see which party will take control. There are early signs that things may change for the better, BUT one should be cautious, because if one particular party are elected - a party that from 2015 surprised everyone in establishing itself as one of the largest political forces in France - things could change for the worse, and we could all end up desperately needing to use that disabled loo that EuroTrash so eloquently alluded to.......
Old Nov 26th 2016, 7:42 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

you might want to take a look at this:
Jack in the Box Toulouse

set up by Emma Nelson in Toulouse, it's doing very well. An alternative to english31.
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 7:12 am
Just Joined

Sorry for radio silence, I've had an ill baby :0( Thank you for the information on the political scene in France - all very interesting and useful. So much to think about! Thank you also for the link to the business in Toulouse, I'm going to have a look at that now - great to hear that a business has actually taken off! Thanks again everyone, your help is very much appreciated,

Sarah
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 7:23 am
Just Joined

Sorry for radio silence, I've had an ill baby :0( Thank you for the information on the political scene in France - all very interesting and useful. So much to think about! Thank you also for the link to the business in Toulouse, I'm going to have a look at that now - great to hear that a business has actually taken off! Thanks again everyone, your help is very much appreciated,

Sarah
Wow Jack in the Box sounds great. How inspiring. Id heard from someone else that there could be a market for British children in the French system wanting to keep up to speed with the national curriculum. I'm not sure I'm capable of such a big set up by myself but I sounds like there's potential for individual or small group lessons. Am I right that French children don't do a full days schooling on a Wednesday, or is that now changing?

Many thanks,

Sarah
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 4:22 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Am I right that French children don't do a full days schooling on a Wednesday, or is that now changing?

Many thanks,

Sarah
Yes, they have the whole of Wednesday afternoon off, as opposed to being able to go home mid-afternoon on the other days if their parents are free at the end of the school day. This time is decided upon for each individual school (at 15h45 in our Primaire) and activities are organised from 16h00 by qualified "intervenants" for those who have to stay on, e.g. English, circus gymnastics, judo, ....
Having said that, it's quite likely that the school time-tables will change when (and I don't say "if"!) the present President's party isn't re-elected. I'd guess that there'll be a return to the whole of Wednesdays being free and the other school days being longer to compensate.
In any case Wednesday afternoons are always dedicated to activities or socializing!
Old Dec 4th 2016, 7:01 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Wow Jack in the Box sounds great. How inspiring. Id heard from someone else that there could be a market for British children in the French system wanting to keep up to speed with the national curriculum. I'm not sure I'm capable of such a big set up by myself but I sounds like there's potential for individual or small group lessons. Am I right that French children don't do a full days schooling on a Wednesday, or is that now changing?

Many thanks,

Sarah
You can start small with this kind of project and I am pretty sure that there would be enough french families who might want their young kids subjected to English!

Each commune usually has it's own recreation hall which can be used by local organisations for free. All the formalities done by the mairie - health and safety stuff, building insurance etc. Your costs would be minimal as would the financial obligations regarding premises.
In my little town an american woman had a weekly session where she taught the kids songs to sing in English, she filled her class every year.
Old Dec 4th 2016, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

Peter219 is an unknown quantity at this point

Someone also suggested Skype which is interesting - do you mean set up an Internet business teaching students world wide? I guess an Internet business can be taken to any country but not sure I'm quite resourceful enough.
Again, thank you, all comments are so greatly appreciated.

Sarah
Hi Sarah
Have a look at Italki if you want a feel for a skype based way to sell your English skills....I have used this, as a learner, as one of the ways to improve my French. The better teachers do command decent rates. One of my teachers was a French lady with a baby and it worked well for her, as a home based business.
With italki the infrastructure is already set up. Not sure what cut the owners take.
Old Dec 5th 2016, 5:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Each commune usually has it's own recreation hall which can be used by local organisations for free. All the formalities done by the mairie - health and safety stuff, building insurance etc. Your costs would be minimal as would the financial obligations regarding premises.
Our hall is free to use for associations but there is a charge for for-profit businesses, and also you need to have your own résponsabilité civile. Not sure how they work the fee out. But as you say, it solves a raft of problems.
Old Dec 5th 2016, 7:06 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Our hall is free to use for associations but there is a charge for for-profit businesses, and also you need to have your own résponsabilité civile. Not sure how they work the fee out. But as you say, it solves a raft of problems.
Same here. You have to set up an Association and, from experience, you'll spend the rest of its life hassling with all the usual suspects (URSSAF to name but one), finding two willing "partners", organising AGMs, etc.... In fact an innocent Association confronts the same bureaucracy as a business structure.
Old Dec 5th 2016, 9:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Not sure the OP wants to set up an association - I think the idea is more as a money-earner...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.