Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Tax on UK pension when living in France

Tax on UK pension when living in France

Old Apr 18th 2022, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

bazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tax on UK pension when living in France

I will very likely use an accountant for my first tax return so this query is more to prepare myself for any shocks.
I do not yet receive the UK state pension but I do receive a UK govt teachers pension which I believe is always taxed in the UK no matter where I am resident. Currently I get the UK personal allowance so the tax I pay does not equate to 20%. In France I’d fit into the 11% bracket (?) due to my total annual earnings for French taxation.
My question is this really - will I end up paying MORE or LESS tax in France than I currently do in UK? I am not seeking detailed answers - more, as I say, to prepare myself! Don’t worry about property and habitation tax in this consideration as I think I understand those.
thanks as always for input.
Old Apr 18th 2022, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax on UK pension when living in France

Your accountant will tell you exactly what your tax bill will be when he's done the figures. I don't think trying to guess based on incomplete info would be useful to you. For one thing, France gives different abattements on different types of income. So depending for instance on the proportion of pension income to non pension income, on the same total revenue you could get a greater or less abattement hence be liable for more or less tax.
There are simulators online where you can enter your income and it will calculate your tax.

If you don't have an S1 I would hazard a guess that your social charges in France will tip your overall liability higher, but even then I could be wrong.
Old Apr 18th 2022, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

The taxation of pensions is governed by the Anglo French tax agreement .This states that UK government occupational pensions(eg techers police etc) are always taxed in the UK but they have to be declared in France.On the tax form there is a section relating to income from abroad ouvrant un credit impot en France (or words to that effect) That is the section where you need to put the amount of your UK pension in euros In the country of origin put RU You must then describe it as "pension de la fonction publique" This way the impots will know that it is neither taxable in France nor is it subject to CSG They will then give you a tax credit and as it is a pension you will also get small rabattement .It does not matter if you do not pay tax in the UK >The French will still not tax your pension so you will probably pay no tax
All other pensions eg UK state pension and non governmental occupational pensions should be paid tax free in the UK (there is a procedure for this) and are subject to French tax and CSG.
As an aside as you have a pension(of any sort) you will not have to pay CPAM any contributions to health care.
Personally I would not pay an accountant to do this if your income is as simple as you say .I would go to the local tax office explain that you are doing your tax return for the first time (it will have to be a paper return for newbies) and see if you can get to see someone to go through the form with you They are very helpful and want you to get it right.In addition there is an Anglophone publication called "The Connexion" which publish a very good practical guide to filling in your tax form
You will get in due course an RFDR form which is your official statement of income and tax paid Keep this as it can be used to prove your income
Hope that helps
Old Apr 18th 2022, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

bazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much ET and LVC
I was wondering if I still get an “allowance” on that UK pension and therefore only pay tax in UK on the amount that is over said allowance when I become a French resident. If that makes sense? Or do you lose the allowance if you’re not resident in UK?
Old Apr 18th 2022, 10:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

LVC will know for sure but whilst waiting for him to look in again - I am pretty sure you are still entitled to your normal UK tax allowance, but you may have to request it?
Old Apr 18th 2022, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzer70
Thanks so much ET and LVC
I was wondering if I still get an “allowance” on that UK pension and therefore only pay tax in UK on the amount that is over said allowance when I become a French resident. If that makes sense? Or do you lose the allowance if you’re not resident in UK?
You should get the tax-free allowance but it is currently under review for expats.
Old Apr 18th 2022, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

You will continue to get the UK personal allowance as a UK national Your teachers pension will continue to be taxed in the UK as per the Anglo French tax agreement..You then declare the pension in France and get a tax credit from the French tax people Your teacher pension will not be subject to CSG in France.The amount of tax you pay in the UK is of no interest to France The credit they give you is calculated by reference to the amount that you would have paid if you were taxed directly in France .It is all governed by the tax agreement and nothing else
Old Apr 19th 2022, 6:18 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Listen Very Carefully
You will continue to get the UK personal allowance as a UK national Your teachers pension will continue to be taxed in the UK as per the Anglo French tax agreement..You then declare the pension in France and get a tax credit from the French tax people Your teacher pension will not be subject to CSG in France.The amount of tax you pay in the UK is of no interest to France The credit they give you is calculated by reference to the amount that you would have paid if you were taxed directly in France .It is all governed by the tax agreement and nothing else
@ Bazzer Whatever and wherever tax is paid, remember that all world-wide income must be declared in France. As suggested, when the time comes to make your first declaration (on paper), don't pay an accountant, make an appointment for free assistance at your local Tax Office or the local branch of the recently created France Services...
Old Apr 19th 2022, 6:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I agree with other posters about not using an accountant unless your financial affairs are complex. The people at the tax office are very helpful, totally unlike HMRC. Once you've been shown which boxes to enter which sources of income in, you might as well write the figures on the tax form yourself rather than write them on a piece of paper and give it to your accountant for him to write them in.
Old Apr 19th 2022, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

Great advice as always - thanks everybody