Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Tax d'habitation and dependants discount

Tax d'habitation and dependants discount

Old Nov 10th 2015, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

astitchingtime has a brilliant futureastitchingtime has a brilliant futureastitchingtime has a brilliant futureastitchingtime has a brilliant futureastitchingtime has a brilliant futureastitchingtime has a brilliant future
Default Tax d'habitation and dependants discount

Hi,
Kind of hoping Eurotrash reads this as he is 'the man' when it comes to France.

just received my first bill for Tax d'habitation (luckily moved to France in Feb the first year and so missed it).

Although I can translate the form I am still unsure if they have taken my children into account for the necessary discounts. My first question is, should my childrens' names appear under the 'Occupants' section?

and although I see the standard percentages on the form for dependent discounts, I see no minus signs or obvious deductions just percentage calculations of the various impots. So my second question is, should there be an obvious sum indicated to be deducted for these Abattements? I have checked the calculations and to me, unless they have adjusted the percentages to accommodate the discounts, it looks like the answer is nothing has been discounted.

My only other option is to go to the Mairie I guess but thought I would come here first.

Hi ET if you there! ;-)
Old Nov 10th 2015, 2:45 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax d'habitation and dependants discount

Originally Posted by astitchingtime
Hi,
Kind of hoping Eurotrash reads this as he is 'the man' when it comes to France.

just received my first bill for Tax d'habitation (luckily moved to France in Feb the first year and so missed it).

Although I can translate the form I am still unsure if they have taken my children into account for the necessary discounts. My first question is, should my childrens' names appear under the 'Occupants' section?

and although I see the standard percentages on the form for dependent discounts, I see no minus signs or obvious deductions just percentage calculations of the various impots. So my second question is, should there be an obvious sum indicated to be deducted for these Abattements? I have checked the calculations and to me, unless they have adjusted the percentages to accommodate the discounts, it looks like the answer is nothing has been discounted.

My only other option is to go to the Mairie I guess but thought I would come here first.

Hi ET if you there! ;-)
Hi,
To my knowledge it's based on the rentable value of an owner-occupied property, and any reduction is based on the income and age (= old) of the occupant(s). Our Taxe d'Hab didn't increase once our children left the nest, so we can't have benefitted from a reduction when they were occupying our house.
But I stand to be corrected and look forward to ET's explanation!
Old Nov 10th 2015, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Touraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond repute

If you owned but did not live in the house the 'Tax Hab' would still be the same.

Number of occupants does not change a thing. Maybe income does ??????

Certainly out Tax Hab has not gone every time we had a child.
Old Nov 10th 2015, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

income does affect the tax d'hab yes - when ours was very low the tax d'hab changed
Old Nov 10th 2015, 4:21 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Touraine
If you owned but did not live in the house the 'Tax Hab' would still be the same.
Just to clarify, if you don't live in your house but rent it out, it's the tenants who pay the Taxe d'Hab.
Old Nov 10th 2015, 9:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Stitch, I remember you!
TBH I'm not best qualified to answer this, being a single person and all.
However, yes it appears that dependents are taken into account
Impots.gouv.fr - Abattement pour charges de famille

TBH I think it's unlikely that they will have failed to give you whatever reductions you are due. The tax office has all the info on your income declaration (assuming you filled your form in right) and that data is what the computer will have processed when calculating your taxe d'hab. But you can always go and ask.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 5:58 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by EuroTrash

TBH I think it's unlikely that they will have failed to give you whatever reductions you are due. The tax office has all the info on your income declaration (assuming you filled your form in right) and that data is what the computer will have processed when calculating your taxe d'hab. But you can always go and ask.
Interesting link!
I've noticed small increases in the Taxe d'Hab each year due to general inflation or the like, but there wasn't a significant increase (no more "abattement") when our children left home....
(I'm not complaining, mind...)
Old Nov 11th 2015, 6:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add - I doubt if your mairie will want to get involved in the actual workings out, that's the tax office's job. The mairie could perhaps confirm what percentage abattements are applied in your commune, since according to the link each commune appears to have discretion on this, and the person you speak to may happen to be familiar with the way the information is presented. But if it comes to querying the actual values for your property, I imagine you'll need to go to your hôtel des impôts/centre des impôts/whatever you have where you live.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

babyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash

If the percentages appear clearly there are probably no mistakes...

PS: ET I always assumed you were a lady
Old Nov 11th 2015, 3:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by babyposer
PS: ET I always assumed you were a lady
I'm a person of mystery