Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Tax d’Habitation

Tax d’Habitation

Old Jan 12th 2020, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

Magukat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tax d’Habitation

I'm going to see the tax man and whilst doing my research further, found the following info that decided to post here as it's relevant to this discussion and someone on this forum can find it useful when renting his/her property:

https://www.service-public.fr/partic...osdroits/F2448
"Qui doit payer la taxe d'habitation si le locataire déménage ?
........ Le propriétaire du logement a 3 mois pour signaler le déménagement de son locataire au centre des impôts. S'il ne le fait pas, il devra payer lui-même la taxe."

Last edited by Magukat; Jan 12th 2020 at 6:09 am.
Old Jan 12th 2020, 8:20 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Magukat
I'm going to see the tax man and whilst doing my research further, found the following info that decided to post here as it's relevant to this discussion and someone on this forum can find it useful when renting his/her property:

https://www.service-public.fr/partic...osdroits/F2448
"Qui doit payer la taxe d'habitation si le locataire déménage ?
........ Le propriétaire du logement a 3 mois pour signaler le déménagement de son locataire au centre des impôts. S'il ne le fait pas, il devra payer lui-même la taxe."
That's good!
The question now is, did your landlord tell the Fisc that you'd left?
For the Taxe Foncière the vendor and buyer usually negotiate to pay it pro rata, but I don't know whether this is feasible between tenants for the Td'H......
Anyway, you'll get the info directly from the horse's mouth at your RV.!
Old Jan 12th 2020, 11:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
For the Taxe Foncière the vendor and buyer usually negotiate to pay it pro rata, but I don't know whether this is feasible between tenants for the Td'H......
I've always assumed that the reason TF is normally split and TdH isn't, is because it's a fair way of doing it for TF but it would potentially be unfair for TdH. The tax office isn't involved in the pro rata-ing, they issue one bill to the person who is there on 1st Jan/ However the TF bill is the same for everyone, with very few exceptions. So, say the tax foncière on a property is 1000€ and person A sells to person B at the end of June, it's fair to pay 500 each. But if person A is a second home owner, or very wealthy, and thus liable to pay full TdH of say 1200€, and person B is a French taxpayer on a low income, or over 65, who is exempt from paying TdH, it wouldn't be very fair to expect person B to contribute 600€ towards a bill they themselves are exempt from.
If that makes sense.

I didn't know about the 3 months notification thing, that's interesting. Good luck!
Old Jan 12th 2020, 12:45 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
I've always assumed that the reason TF is normally split and TdH isn't, is because it's a fair way of doing it for TF but it would potentially be unfair for TdH. The tax office isn't involved in the pro rata-ing, they issue one bill to the person who is there on 1st Jan/ However the TF bill is the same for everyone, with very few exceptions. So, say the tax foncière on a property is 1000€ and person A sells to person B at the end of June, it's fair to pay 500 each. But if person A is a second home owner, or very wealthy, and thus liable to pay full TdH of say 1200€, and person B is a French taxpayer on a low income, or over 65, who is exempt from paying TdH, it wouldn't be very fair to expect person B to contribute 600€ towards a bill they themselves are exempt from.
If that makes sense.

I didn't know about the 3 months notification thing, that's interesting. Good luck!
You're right, and imagine if there are several consecutive tenants in the same year?
And for all I know, gîte/furnished rental owners might include a percentage of TH in the weekly/monthly rent and pay the full bill themselves. The OP could check to see whether this is mentioned in the lease, before making the appointment with the Fisc.....
Old Jan 12th 2020, 2:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Tourists in holiday lets don't pay taxe d'habitation. They pay tourist tax instead.
Old Jan 12th 2020, 2:47 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Tourists in holiday lets don't pay taxe d'habitation. They pay tourist tax instead.
I was thinking more of lets for several months or a year, like the OP's...
Old Jan 12th 2020, 3:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes but there is a clear line between tourist accommodation and residential accommodation. Different rental contracts, different tax regimes, different allowances. It's not about how long the let is (except that of course there are maximium time limits on tourist lets and minimum time limits on residential lets), it's about how your business is registered. The owner is registered for one or the other, and the tax office knows which it is and proceeds accordingly..