Reload this Page >

Tackling the French Job Market

Tackling the French Job Market

Old Feb 16th 2017, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

alex267 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tackling the French Job Market

Salutations all,

I have been living in Vendee since the end of August last year, I moved in with mes beau-parents and my fiancée. During this time I've concentrated on learing the language as much as I can and while I am certainly no where near fluent (maybe just bordering intermediate) the time has come to make serious headway into navigating the job market.

I completely understand that my language level can only merit something "menail", for want of a better word, and I am hoping if any of you expat experts could garnish me with some advice.

There's a local food factory called Sodebo which I understand to be a good company to work for. I am prepared for something manual and quite possibly fairly repetative. I have also visited 8 different interim agences, in Montaigu, to give my CV and sign up to their services, they told me that my CV would be passed to their clients. Four weeks have gone by and I still haven't received any contact.

Anywho, my intentions for Sodebo is that I am preparing a cover letter to déposée une candidature spontanée via their webite. I also plan to e-mail my contact at each agency with another more general cover letter and CV, as a sort of "Hello, please dont forget me, I'm still looking for work".

Could anyone direct me to any good sources of information for navigating the french job market? How does my plan sound, is it more hopeful than practical? Does anyone know of any good places for advice on des lettres de motivation?

Reading through the forums I do believe thats this I going to be one of my regular stops and I am hoping to contribute in my own capacity as much as I can.

Kind regards,

Alex

PS, this was initially post in the "introduction thread", sorry for the repetition. EuroTrash has already pointed me towards registering as a job seeker with the pole d'emploi which is something I will definitely doing.
Old Feb 16th 2017, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tackling the French Job Market

I find French lettres de motivation absolutely cringe-making and I just cannot ever bring myself to write all the tosh that they seem to think is necessary.

Anyway back to the point, yes do keep prodding the agencies, call in or phone up if you can as well as emailing them, make yourself look keen.

I guess you have already discovered the online job sites such as https://www.indeed.fr/

Don't know what else to say apart from bon courage and best of luck
Old Feb 16th 2017, 3:39 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alex267
Salutations all,

I have been living in Vendee since the end of August last year, I moved in with mes beau-parents and my fiancée. During this time I've concentrated on learing the language as much as I can and while I am certainly no where near fluent (maybe just bordering intermediate) the time has come to make serious headway into navigating the job market.

I completely understand that my language level can only merit something "menail", for want of a better word, and I am hoping if any of you expat experts could garnish me with some advice.

There's a local food factory called Sodebo which I understand to be a good company to work for. I am prepared for something manual and quite possibly fairly repetative. I have also visited 8 different interim agences, in Montaigu, to give my CV and sign up to their services, they told me that my CV would be passed to their clients. Four weeks have gone by and I still haven't received any contact.

Anywho, my intentions for Sodebo is that I am preparing a cover letter to déposée une candidature spontanée via their webite. I also plan to e-mail my contact at each agency with another more general cover letter and CV, as a sort of "Hello, please dont forget me, I'm still looking for work".

Could anyone direct me to any good sources of information for navigating the french job market? How does my plan sound, is it more hopeful than practical? Does anyone know of any good places for advice on des lettres de motivation?

Reading through the forums I do believe thats this I going to be one of my regular stops and I am hoping to contribute in my own capacity as much as I can.

Kind regards,

Alex

PS, this was initially post in the "introduction thread", sorry for the repetition. EuroTrash has already pointed me towards registering as a job seeker with the pole d'emploi which is something I will definitely doing.
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
ET has given you good advice in the Introduction Section.
You didn't say whether your fiancée and beaux-parents were English or French. I"d guess the latter, in which case they can help you write the lettre de motivation (IMO just as important as a CV). Otherwise sites do exist which help you to write them and French-style C.V.s - Google "rédaction de lettres de motivation".
While you're still "inactive", in the sense of unemployed, you should take out private healthcare insurance to cover you until you find a job or are admitted in the French Social Security ("Puma" scheme). Likewise if your fiancée and her parents aren't French. If the parents receive a UK State Pension, they are eligible to join the S.S. with the S1 form that the DWP issues, otherwise you must all be covered if you aren't working.
If you have any other questions, ask away! Good luck
Old Feb 16th 2017, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

Yeah, I've read a few examples and gone through the advice on cover letters via the pole d'emploi website and what I found myself writing was too cringe to think I was actually doing anything good. Hence asking the community.

I've used Indeed to find my last job in England, had a scroll through the french version of the site which incidentally directed me to Sodebo's site mentioned in my last post.

Cool beans, at least I know I'm not barking up the wrong tree. Making a call is going to take alot of g-ing myself up, but I totally agree the keener I can put myself across the better.

Thanks very much, really appreciate your time.
Old Feb 16th 2017, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
ET has given you good advice in the Introduction Section.
You didn't say whether your fiancée and beaux-parents were English or French. I"d guess the latter, in which case they can help you write the lettre de motivation (IMO just as important as a CV). Otherwise sites do exist which help you to write them and French-style C.V.s - Google "rédaction de lettres de motivation".
While you're still "inactive", in the sense of unemployed, you should take out private healthcare insurance to cover you until you find a job or are admitted in the French Social Security ("Puma" scheme). Likewise if your fiancée and her parents aren't French. If the parents receive a UK State Pension, they are eligible to join the S.S. with the S1 form that the DWP issues, otherwise you must all be covered if you aren't working.
If you have any other questions, ask away! Good luck
Whoops, what a novice am I not making the adjective agree. Hehe. Yes mes beaux-parents and fiancée are French and I will be asking them to proof read whatever I write. They're a massive help to me and can't thank them enough, quite literally in the early days.

No one has mentioned to me yet about taking out a private healthcare insurance. I did apply for a EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) which I carry around with me for what it's worth. There's an accompanying smart phone app which instructs one to send copies of the documents that the doctors will give you after a consultation. I went to the quacks at the begining of last October for a couple inhalers, sent off the forms as instructed and have heard nothing back to date.

Is the EHIC something you guys are familiar with?
Old Feb 16th 2017, 4:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

EHICs are for Brits on holiday abroad.
Technically speaking, once you no longer live in the UK you are no longer entitled to NHS cover (the NHS is residence-based) and hence, your UK issued EHIC card is no longer valid.
But I guess you're a UK resident on holiday in France until you find a job aren't you and as soon as you find a job, you'll start paying into the French social security system, so the problem will solve itself.
Old Feb 16th 2017, 4:45 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Whoops, what a novice am I not making the adjective agree. Hehe. Yes mes beaux-parents and fiancée are French and I will be asking them to proof read whatever I write. They're a massive help to me and can't thank them enough, quite literally in the early days.

No one has mentioned to me yet about taking out a private healthcare insurance. I did apply for a EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) which I carry around with me for what it's worth. There's an accompanying smart phone app which instructs one to send copies of the documents that the doctors will give you after a consultation. I went to the quacks at the begining of last October for a couple inhalers, sent off the forms as instructed and have heard nothing back to date.

Is the EHIC something you guys are familiar with?
The EHICs are really only valid for tourists, not residents! I imagine you get reimbursed in your English bank account (or by cheque to a UK address?) But 4 months is a long time for it to go through.... They won't reimburse you in France.
Your average French person doesn't know much about compulsory healthcare coverage for foreigners, as they've been covered by the French S.S. virtually since birth. This is why expats forums are useful!!
You'll be needing justification of domicile for many things, and since you won't have Utility bills in your name, you should ask your in-laws to sign an "Attestation d'Hébergement", as per
https://www.service-public.fr/partic...sdroits/R39697
to present whenever required by Bureaucracy.
Old Feb 16th 2017, 4:56 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
You'll be needing justification of domicile for many things, and since you won't have Utility bills in your name, you should ask your in-laws to sign an "Attestation d'Hébergement", as per
Since the OP has only been in France since August, it's possible that "proof of residential address" would be a tad clearer.
Old Feb 16th 2017, 6:09 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Since the OP has only been in France since August, it's possible that "proof of residential address" would be a tad clearer.

I should have left it in French!!
Old Feb 16th 2017, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

No one has mentioned to me yet about taking out a private healthcare insurance.
"No one" will. The onus is on *you* to find out about it/make sure you're covered.

Off the top of my head: you might like to research PUMA Le portail du service public de la Sécurité sociale / La mise en place de la Protection� (...)

And/or whether or not your partner/fiancé(e) can add you to to his/her existing coverage.
Old Feb 16th 2017, 7:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Shirtback
And/or whether or not your partner/fiancé(e) can add you to to his/her existing coverage.
No the ayant droit status for adults stopped when PUMA came in didn't it. Existing ayant droits can carry on as they are for the time being, but you can't join by piggybacking any more, you have to qualify in your own right.

Last edited by EuroTrash; Feb 16th 2017 at 7:58 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2017, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
No the ayant droit status for adults stopped when PUMA came in didn't it. Existing ayant droits can carry on as they are for the time being, but you can't join by piggybacking any more, you have to qualify in your own right.
I think you're right, I'll admit I didn't go look it up, (again!), but the PUMA link should/might cover it .
Old Feb 17th 2017, 8:53 am
Just Joined

EHICs are for Brits on holiday abroad.
Technically speaking, once you no longer live in the UK you are no longer entitled to NHS cover (the NHS is residence-based) and hence, your UK issued EHIC card is no longer valid.
But I guess you're a UK resident on holiday in France until you find a job aren't you and as soon as you find a job, you'll start paying into the French social security system, so the problem will solve itself.
Whoops, blardy tax dodging foreigner, get out ah mah country. I have been assured that starting work will ensure the state health insurance issue will sort itself out. but I'm naively starting to realise that I clearly do not understand the healthcare system well enough.

Originally Posted by dmu
The EHICs are really only valid for tourists, not residents! I imagine you get reimbursed in your English bank account (or by cheque to a UK address?) But 4 months is a long time for it to go through.... They won't reimburse you in France.
Your average French person doesn't know much about compulsory healthcare coverage for foreigners, as they've been covered by the French S.S. virtually since birth. This is why expats forums are useful!!

Yeah, all the literature I read on the EHIC never really seem to specify its purpose. The documents I sent to the local assurance maladie had my french bank account details, address (with the "Attestation d'Hébergement" by my father-in-law) and the docs given to me by the doctors and the pharmacist. It all propbably got one look and comment along the lines of "who's this joker". Oh well, my own fault for poor prior research.

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Thanks, fortunately my fiancée I a bit better of a forward thinker than me so this document is something I'm familiar with.

Originally Posted by dmu
I should have left it in French!!
How else is the little scamp going to learn...hehe

Originally Posted by Shirtback
"No one" will. The onus is on *you* to find out about it/make sure you're covered.

Off the top of my head: you might like to research PUMA Le portail du service public de la Sécurité sociale / La mise en place de la Protection� (...)

Couldn't agree more, as mentioned before I clearly haven't understood the matter well enough, shame!! The naivety of others can get on my tits at the best of times.

Thanks very much for the link, I'll be making sure that this very important aspect of living here is well understood and actions taken.

Good to know.

Thanks for all your input guys, really really appreciated. If its of any interest I'll let you know how I go with the job hunt, getting registered for healthcare insurance.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 9:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Whoops, blardy tax dodging foreigner, get out ah mah country.
Not so much that, but if you were to need expensive treatment and the NHS took a hard line and said This person is not one of ours, they are not entitled to NHS healthcare (unlikely, because unlike French caisses the NHS seems to keep no proper records, but sods law and all that), you would have no option but to meet the cost yourself if you have no insurance. In France it's the computer that decides who's entitled and who isn't, based on what documents you have or haven't produced and what cotisations you have or haven't paid, and if computer says Non then the answer is Non. So unless you have very deep pockets it really isn't a risk many people would be happy to take.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 9:39 am
Just Joined

Not so much that, but if you were to need expensive treatment and the NHS took a hard line and said This person is not one of ours, they are not entitled to NHS healthcare (unlikely, because unlike French caisses the NHS seems to keep no proper records, but sods law and all that), you would have no option but to meet the cost yourself if you have no insurance. In France it's the computer that decides who's entitled and who isn't, based on what documents you have or haven't produced and what cotisations you have or haven't paid, and if computer says Non then the answer is Non. So unless you have very deep pockets it really isn't a risk many people would be happy to take.
Sorry, not very appropriate of me to make light of a potentially grave situation. Your advice has certainly switched me on to take the steps absolutely required to ensure living in France is as productive and contructive as possible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.