Survey on new home in france

Wikiposts

Survey on new home in france

Old May 18th 2013, 10:23 pm
jvc
BE Enthusiast

jvc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Survey on new home in france

We are looking at buying our first home in France, and have gone for a villa that was built in 2000. The general consensus I am getting is that the Notaires, no matter who you speak to think the survey is a waste of time and money, so no biast opinion there. Some of these Notaires and architects we have spoken to even say that it is a true British tradition, but is totally unnecessary.
There are surveyors in France, and we have friends who have used them, but apart from Septic tank issues, nothing has really been noted. he place we are looking at is mains drainage. If we were buying an old ome or a timber home I may be worried, but what are peoples experiences on surveys in France. It seems that there is quite a comprehensive range of searches done before the CDV anyway? We have gone through with as fine a tooth comb as possible prior to the offer, and have asked the owner for guarantees, certificates de permis, and diagnostic reports.
How many of you have had surveys done...if not what made you choose that decision?
Old May 18th 2013, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Survey on new home in france

Hi
Have a look at this post http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=795385
or you can use the search facility at the top right of the France index page.

We bought a new build and didn't consider a survey - it is not usual in France but you need to check all the required certificates - as you stated.
Old May 18th 2013, 11:48 pm
jvc
BE Enthusiast

Thanks, yes we did see that link, along with a couple of others. Just hoping for more info. Have gone through most of the certificates, diagnostic reports. Do most people check all this before an offer, or is it just us being ultra thorough? I have visited the Marie also, and checked plans. However the agent has been very helpful with plans and the ceritifcat d'construire etc. I assume most of this will be subject to the Notaire checking al of this too, and at least if any nasties come up we can pull put before signing the C de V?
Old May 19th 2013, 12:02 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jvc
Do most people check all this before an offer, or is it just us being ultra thorough?
Isn't it compulsory?
In any case, "caveat emptor" reigns in France, so the buyer would be foolish not to check that all is in order...
And, as mentioned in the other thread cited, a "Surveyor" (géomètre) is only used for measuring out plots of land, etc... Any alterations to the property should be overseen by an architect or other "maître d'oeuvre".
Hope all this helps!
Good luck!
Old May 19th 2013, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

At the time, we had a survey prior to purchase in UK, most people do.
Not so here. It generally isn't done. Our property here was 12 years old, but of course we went through all the documents, certificates etc with the Notaire to check that all was as it should be. QED.
Prudence is of course wise, but I think one has to accept that this is France, and things are conducted in a different fashion, generally correctly.
Old May 19th 2013, 12:32 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jvc
We are looking at buying our first home in France, and have gone for a villa that was built in 2000. The general consensus I am getting is that the Notaires, no matter who you speak to think the survey is a waste of time and money, so no biast opinion there. Some of these Notaires and architects we have spoken to even say that it is a true British tradition, but is totally unnecessary.
There are surveyors in France, and we have friends who have used them, but apart from Septic tank issues, nothing has really been noted. he place we are looking at is mains drainage. If we were buying an old ome or a timber home I may be worried, but what are peoples experiences on surveys in France. It seems that there is quite a comprehensive range of searches done before the CDV anyway? We have gone through with as fine a tooth comb as possible prior to the offer, and have asked the owner for guarantees, certificates de permis, and diagnostic reports.
How many of you have had surveys done...if not what made you choose that decision?
Welcome to the Forum...

Umm I thought that building guarantees were 10 years and if the house was built in 2000 the house stands pretty much as is. If the house lacked it's CU it would become apparent very quickly, Is it mains drainage or does it have a Fosse Septic?

As I would pay attention to it's Fosse Septic and the Assainissement non collectif if it has one as the rules have changed since 2000 on drains from Fosse Septics and an inspection of it could find you forced into a compulsory upgrade when the departmental syndicat gets round to inspecting it.

If it's "assainissement collectif" "Mains Drainage" make sure there is an inspection hatch on your side of the boundary so blockages can be cleaned out.

Last edited by Chatter Static; May 19th 2013 at 12:41 am.
Old May 19th 2013, 12:35 am
jvc
BE Enthusiast

It doesn't have a septic tank, it's mains. Alot of our friends have had septic tank problems brought to light on their new homes since the changes, so are up on that one but thanks.
Old May 19th 2013, 12:49 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jvc
It doesn't have a septic tank, it's mains. Alot of our friends have had septic tank problems brought to light on their new homes since the changes, so are up on that one but thanks.
Personally I wouldn't have a "Survey" done but I visit lots take a torch and telescopic ladder and camera. But all the house's we have owned here have been works in progress.
Old May 19th 2013, 12:52 am
jvc
BE Enthusiast

Yes, I think decision was made on that one a while ago, but good to hear experiences.
Old May 19th 2013, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Just a couple of thoughts that may not apply.
Check that the property has a right of way or if other properties have a right of way over your land.
If you have land then you need to fence it off and mark it private property.
If anyone is currently using it (e.g. for grazing) then they can inherit a right use it.
Old May 19th 2013, 2:52 am
jvc
BE Enthusiast

We have had that in the Uk. I have the plans for the house and land...would it beon that? There is a gate going on to land bt the agent said it was old? I cannot see any rights of way on the plans, but will check thanks. It does not have much land, but may have the option later to buy more.
Old May 19th 2013, 2:54 am
Quien no sabe

Originally Posted by jvc
We have had that in the Uk. I have the plans for the house and land...would it beon that? There is a gate going on to land bt the agent said it was old? I cannot see any rights of way on the plans, but will check thanks. It does not have much land, but may have the option later to buy more.
Rights of way are not necessarily shown on the plans, They will be listed in the deeds or with the cadastre as some form of servitude which can range from a right of way for people to pass or for drainage pipes etc.

Last edited by Chatter Static; May 19th 2013 at 2:58 am.
Old May 19th 2013, 4:04 am
jvc
BE Enthusiast

I am assuming (like the UK), this is a Notaire thing though, and not something I need to be trolling through. What happens with Notaire fees normally, if you find out there maybe issues with the house/land etc, and do not proceed? I suppose at this point the Notaire has done a fair amount of work by then? Are there costs incurred before or after the C de V?
Old May 19th 2013, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Check out this list in N de F site: http://www.notaires.fr/notaires/en/property-surveys
Old May 19th 2013, 4:23 am
jvc
BE Enthusiast

That's interesing, I will save that thankyou. Most of those we are on to, or not relevant...no septic tank, no lead or asbestos queries, termites don't apply in this region and the DTI being sent to me via proprieter, so is gat to know we have a reasonable understanding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.