Reload this Page >

My MOT ran out and I am in France - Please help

My MOT ran out and I am in France - Please help

Old Jun 18th 2017, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

loveroy80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My MOT ran out and I am in France - Please help

Dear all,

I desperately require some specific advice. I am in France since early this year. My insurance is valid(?) till the end of the year. I mixed up my MOT and Tax dates and just realised my MOT ran out first instead of the tax. In this situation:

I can go back to UK and get a MOT. An internet search is telling me that I should make a confirmed booking, keep some sort of print out of that booking incase I am stopped and should drive directly to the MOT center at Folkstone. Is it still a good advice?

On top of the MOT issue I made a terrible mistake when I left the UK based on very bad advise. As my stay would be significantly long in France so I filled up the "Exporting the car" (section 11 ?) of the V5 document and posted it to DVLA.
Based on this gaffe, I have no idea how to address the MOT issue as I have no idea how that would reflect on the whole situation or on my insurance. In hindsight I should not have done what I have. Now I need to find out what need to be done. SO PLEASE HELP.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 7:53 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My MOT ran out and I am in France - Please help

Originally Posted by loveroy80
Dear all,

I desperately require some specific advice. I am in France since early this year. My insurance is valid(?) till the end of the year. I mixed up my MOT and Tax dates and just realised my MOT ran out first instead of the tax. In this situation:

I can go back to UK and get a MOT. An internet search is telling me that I should make a confirmed booking, keep some sort of print out of that booking incase I am stopped and should drive directly to the MOT center at Folkstone. Is it still a good advice?

On top of the MOT issue I made a terrible mistake when I left the UK based on very bad advise. As my stay would be significantly long in France so I filled up the "Exporting the car" (section 11 ?) of the V5 document and posted it to DVLA.
Based on this gaffe, I have no idea how to address the MOT issue as I have no idea how that would reflect on the whole situation or on my insurance. In hindsight I should not have done what I have. Now I need to find out what need to be done. SO PLEASE HELP.
If you have told the DVLA you have exported your car then you'll need to officially import it to France and register it with the French authorities. Currently it doesn't sound it is registered anywhere. Your UK insurance, tax and MOT therefore become a moot point.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

Vinosity has a reputation beyond reputeVinosity has a reputation beyond reputeVinosity has a reputation beyond reputeVinosity has a reputation beyond reputeVinosity has a reputation beyond reputeVinosity has a reputation beyond reputeVinosity has a reputation beyond reputeVinosity has a reputation beyond reputeVinosity has a reputation beyond reputeVinosity has a reputation beyond reputeVinosity has a reputation beyond repute

As an extension to what BIP said...

You are currently driving an unregistered and uninsured vehicle. The MOT is the least of your worries.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 10:11 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

What's the registration plate number?
Old Jun 18th 2017, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

Vinosity has a reputation beyond reputeVinosity has a reputation beyond reputeVinosity has a reputation beyond reputeVinosity has a reputation beyond reputeVinosity has a reputation beyond reputeVinosity has a reputation beyond reputeVinosity has a reputation beyond reputeVinosity has a reputation beyond reputeVinosity has a reputation beyond reputeVinosity has a reputation beyond reputeVinosity has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
What's the registration plate number?
I would advise against answering that specific question.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 6:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

As others have said.
It sounds like the car has been/will be in France for over 6 months. If that's the case, depending on your circumstances, the advice to declare it exported was likely correct and your gaffe was in not registering it in France when you arrived. If you'd done that, you wouldn't be in this situation now.

Are you a student, working, or what? as this may have a bearing on the situation.

Regarding the insurance, hopefully you explained to your insurers that the car was going to be kept abroad long term, and they agreed to keep cover in force? If you didn't, and the car is insured on the basis that you are living in the UK and the car is normally kept overnight at the postcode you specified on the form, it's unlikely they would meet any claim since you have broken the contract by failing to declare material facts.

Whatever, you could start by inputting your vehicle details into the DVLA vehicle check website, and see what status is showing for your car.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 7:23 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loveroy80
Dear all,

First in a prompt fashion get your car booked in for a CT "Control Technique" French equivalent of a MOT, Secondly go and find a French car insurer most banks offer this service on top of all of the other normal suppliers. Then get all the documents needed and take a trip to your local Prefecture to change the plaque d'immatriculation.

Personally I would refrain from driving said vehicle until you have a CT and French insurance.

Last edited by Chatter Static; Jun 20th 2017 at 7:39 am.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
First in a prompt fashion get your car booked in for a CT "Control Technique" French equivalent of a MOT, Secondly go and find a French car insurer most banks offer this service on top of all of the other normal suppliers. Then get all the documents needed and take a trip to your local Prefecture to change the plaque d'immatriculation.

Personally I would refrain from driving said vehicle until you have a CT and French insurance.
Yes +1 and you may need to have the headlights adjusted (if a RHD vehicle) before you go.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 7:57 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by audio
Yes +1 and you may need to have the headlights adjusted (if a RHD vehicle) before you go.
Yes but if he has had the Control Technique and gets given a demand for retest then you have two months to make the repairs or changes and the car can be driven in the meantime with the appropriate French insurance as well.

The legal onus is getting the car into the testing station wether it passes or fails at this stage.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
Yes but if he has had the Control Technique and gets given a demand for retest then you have two months to make the repairs or changes and the car can be driven in the meantime with the appropriate French insurance as well.

The legal onus is getting the car into the testing station wether it passes or fails at this stage.
Yes CS, good point.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that the OP needs a Control Technique asap, but surely this isn't possible without a French Carte Grise (CG). Every time we've taken our vehicles in for the CT (several different stations), the first thing they ask for is the CG.
Has anyone here ever had a UK registered car CT'd here? I'd be surprised!

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Jun 21st 2017 at 10:13 am.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 10:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
I agree that the OP needs a Control Technique asap, but surely this isn't possible without a French Carte Grise (CG). Every time we've taken our vehicles in for the CT (several different stations), the first thing they ask for is the CG.
Seeing as you have always needed either a CT or an MOT carried out less than 6 months ago in order to get a carte grise in the first place, and using a UK MOT wasn't an option until very recently, then I think the answer must be Yes, or nobody could ever have registered a UK car old enough to need a test could they, it would have been chicken and egg.
I believe they use the VIN number for the CT report.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 3:28 pm
Quien no sabe

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
You can take a British registered car in for a CT have done it although it was about 15 years ago and the OH wrote the car off 2 weeks after we got the CG
Old Jun 21st 2017, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sell it, risk it, scrap it or put it on a low loader back to the UK.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 4:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by audio
Sell it, risk it, scrap it or put it on a low loader back to the UK.
As has been discussed several times on several different forums, it is virtually impossible to scrap a "foreign" (unregistered) vehicle in many (all?) countries in the EU.

It is also likely impossible* to sell to anyone in the same country because you have to be the legal owner to register it and you can't register a transfer with the DVLA when you aren't living in the UK. So if you want to sell or scrap a British registered vehicle after you have taken it to a country in the EU, first you have to register it locally.

* An exception might be to sell it to someone who repatriates it to the country where it is registered.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 21st 2017 at 5:30 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.