Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Summer job for my 17yo daughter...

Summer job for my 17yo daughter...

Old Dec 4th 2012, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

Johnfm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Summer job for my 17yo daughter...

Hello! My daughter is studying A level French and wants to spend a few weeks next summer in France to improve her French.

She loves kids and pets, so house sitting or au pair work would be ideal, not least as they usually include board & lodging.

Any suggestions as to where we can look for a short (4-6 weeks) job for her?

Thanks.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 7:06 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Summer job for my 17yo daughter...

Originally Posted by Johnfm
Hello! My daughter is studying A level French and wants to spend a few weeks next summer in France to improve her French.

She loves kids and pets, so house sitting or au pair work would be ideal, not least as they usually include board & lodging.

Any suggestions as to where we can look for a short (4-6 weeks) job for her?

Thanks.
Hi and welcome to the forum!
The minimum age for au-pairing is 18, so I'm afraid that's out unless she'll be 'of age' by next summer.
Sorry, I personally haven't got any inspiration, but maybe some one will come along with ideas.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 7:51 am
Just Joined

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

Daughter will be 17.

Do you know under which directive or law there is this minimum age requirement?

Not sure how they can restrict employment on age grounds for an EU citizen.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

Daughter will be 17.

From Wiki
An au pair (plural: au pairs) is a domestic assistant from a foreign country working for, and living as part of, a Host Family. Typically, au pairs take on a share of the family's responsibility for childcare as well as some housework, and receive a small monetary allowance for personal use. Au pair schemes are subject to government restrictions which specify an age range usually from late teens to mid to late twenties. In Europe, where the concept originated, au pairs are only supposed to work part-time, and they often also study part-time, generally focusing on the language of the host country, but in the United States, they are permitted to provide full-time childcare.

The schemes are designed to protect both the receiving family and also the au pair.
If you Google "au pair" then you will find lots of info including the age ranges from country to country.
Have you thought of an exchange where you receive a french student who wants to learn english and that family receives your daughter.
Google "family exchange France" or similar.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 8:52 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Umm, let us think, could it possibly be because she is technically still a child
Old Dec 5th 2012, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if it of any help but a local lady asked us only the other day how old our grandchildren are as she was looking for an exchange with her daughter.

The lady in question owns a cystalised fruit business(very high class). We have known her for more than 30 years so could vouch for the family.

If you are interested I could give her a ring and put the two of you in touch.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 9:28 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
Umm, let us think, could it possibly be because she is technically still a child

Mike

Are you referring to the age of capacity vis a vis legal contracts?

Looks like an exchange scheme may be more suitable in our case anyway, as it is just for a few weeks over the summer.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 9:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by grannybunz
I don't know if it of any help but a local lady asked us only the other day how old our grandchildren are as she was looking for an exchange with her daughter.

The lady in question owns a cystalised fruit business(very high class). We have known her for more than 30 years so could vouch for the family.

If you are interested I could give her a ring and put the two of you in touch.

That would be ideal.

Send me a pm or email me at Snip

Where about in France is she?

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Dec 5th 2012 at 7:26 pm. Reason: eMail address removed at users request...
Old Dec 5th 2012, 9:44 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Mike

Are you referring to the age of capacity vis a vis legal contracts?

Looks like an exchange scheme may be more suitable in our case anyway, as it is just for a few weeks over the summer.
No John, the law of the land!

But I think the exchange is a good idea as she will probably be about 29 before the lawyers have finished answering your question above
Old Dec 5th 2012, 10:05 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

Daughter will be 17.

I haven't found an official site, but this one
http://www.aupair-world.net/index.ph...au_pair/safety
indicates that, in France, the au pair has to sign a contract with the host family and under-eighteens can't sign contracts.
Your best bet is an exchange, as suggested. Your daughter's French teacher should have contacts....
Good luck with your search!
Old Dec 5th 2012, 12:44 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

That would be ideal.

Send me a pm or email me at Snip

Where about in France is she?
John,
if I were you I would edit and remove your email address, it will be captured and you will be spammed.
Mike

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Dec 5th 2012 at 7:24 pm. Reason: eMail Removed from quote.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

Here here. Don't post an email address on a forum.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

Doesn't seem to be an obvious 'edit post' button...
Old Dec 5th 2012, 5:07 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Doesn't seem to be an obvious 'edit post' button...
pm admin and ask them to snip it
Old Dec 5th 2012, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

Hi Ka

Can you snip out my email address please.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.