British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/)
-   -   Studying at a French university (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/studying-french-university-842924/)

Gypsy57 Sep 11th 2014 11:59 am

Studying at a French university

Hello everybody,
so after much deliberation, I finally decided to quit my job (currently in China) and move back to France next year.
Anyway, to cut a long story short, I am hoping to go back to uni to complete a languages degree- LEA.
Has anybody had any experience of doing a full degree in France- NOT as an Erasmus student- I've already done that and I am not transferring from another university, so I couldn't do that anyway.

I have e-mailed countless people at the uni with countless questions, but they never seem to get fully answered...
Would love to know others' experiences. Thanks!

Gypsy57 Sep 11th 2014 12:18 pm

Re: Studying at a French university

Oops, I should probably confirm that I do already speak French after working in French companies there for more than 2 years. I will be going back to the same area (PACA), where I still have friends (French and foreign). I originally left to go travelling and try a new experience in China and Spain- of course my French friends all thought I was crazy! Now I'm coming "home" at last. :fingerscrossed:

dmu Sep 11th 2014 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Gypsy57 (Post 11400983)
Hello everybody,
so after much deliberation, I finally decided to quit my job (currently in China) and move back to France next year.
Anyway, to cut a long story short, I am hoping to go back to uni to complete a languages degree- LEA.
Has anybody had any experience of doing a full degree in France- NOT as an Erasmus student- I've already done that and I am not transferring from another university, so I couldn't do that anyway.

I have e-mailed countless people at the uni with countless questions, but they never seem to get fully answered...
Would love to know others' experiences. Thanks!

Hi, I don't think there are many BE members who have done this (or they have been very coy about it). My two daughters did Degrees in Montpellier and one went on to do a Master in Paris, a straightforward transfer.
A google search ("Master LEA") gave the following result:
Département de Langues Etrangères Appliquées / Master LEA AIIS
for PACA. You can download an application form which will presumably inform you what type of Licence you must have in order to do a Master LEA. * Edited: Ooops, it's for registrations for this school year, sorry!
Your friends should be able to get info for you on the spot, too.
Good luck!

Touraine Sep 11th 2014 3:19 pm

When you say move back home, are you French ?

Lets assume you get accepted, it is going to cost you a fortune to pay for the course, accommodation and support yourself. Is a language degree worth that kind of investment ? In the French employment market I think not.

Gypsy57 Sep 12th 2014 12:25 am

Originally Posted by touraine (Post 11401264)

Lets assume you get accepted, it is going to cost you a fortune to pay for the course, accommodation and support yourself. Is a language degree worth that kind of investment ? In the French employment market I think not.

Hi, actually I'm English. When I said "home", I meant it felt like home the first time I lived there! I guess you didn't read both of my previous posts?

Also the course in Nice costs less than 500 euros per year- this has been checked and double checked by myself and a French friend who recently did a degree at the same uni. I won't be going to some fancy schmancy private school! I will of course find a part time job- I used to work in restaurants and hotels when I was first there so I will essentially be slipping back into old shoes.

I don't know if I will continue in the French employment market afterwards or move on elsewhere, but I'm quite positive that somebody who speaks 5 languages well and has a degree in languages could be pretty employable... (at least I hope so!!)

Gypsy57 Sep 12th 2014 12:32 am

Originally Posted by dmu (Post 11401233)
Hi, I don't think there are many BE members who have done this (or they have been very coy about it). My two daughters did Degrees in Montpellier and one went on to do a Master in Paris, a straightforward transfer.
A google search ("Master LEA") gave the following result:
Département de Langues Etrangères Appliquées / Master LEA AIIS
for PACA. You can download an application form which will presumably inform you what type of Licence you must have in order to do a Master LEA. * Edited: Ooops, it's for registrations for this school year, sorry!
Your friends should be able to get info for you on the spot, too.
Good luck!

Hello thanks for that. Yes I also didn't really think too many people here had done a degree, but you never know! Worth asking anyway! Actually my plan is to go to Nice Sophia Antipolis. Mainly because that's where I used to live and still have friends there, also because the LEA course is more flexible in that I don't have to study English there (kind of pointless really...!). The one you sent me for Aix seems to be like others I looked at- you have to do English alongside your other chosen language, ie, English-Spanish, English-Chinese etc.
What did your daughters study out of interest? Actually, I'm really looking forward to it!

Gypsy57 Sep 12th 2014 12:37 am

Originally Posted by touraine (Post 11401264)

Mind you, on second thoughts you are right about accommodation. What a pain!! Compared to what I'm paying for rent now, the south of France is half the size for double the price! Ugh!!

Touraine Sep 12th 2014 6:48 am

Accommodation is going to be a killer....especially in nice. But like you say, plenty of casual work with your language skills to offset that cost.

If you speak five languages I don't think having a language degree brings anything more to the table to be fair. Does it ?

I would do some kind of fast track management/business degree. You would be far more employable in France and beyond.

Gypsy57 Sep 12th 2014 6:52 am

Yes the plan is for the part time work just to pay rent and CAF for food!!
Well I have been studying languages on and off with random part time/full time courses over the years. The point of it for me was to bring it all together into something more solid. With LEA you can choose to focus on translation, or economics/law/management path in the 2nd and 3rd years.

Touraine Sep 12th 2014 7:11 am

Trouble is, in France you need a specific qualification for a specific job. It is not like the UK whereby you can become a bank manager with a geography degree. If you come out of university with the wrong degree you will have to do a conversion course and it all gets messy and expensive. I have seen that at first hand.

So, if you want to go into business or any given job for that matter you need the right qualification. The languages just makes your CV stronger. If the employment advert says you need 'this qualification' it is 'this qualification. You can't blag it with another qualification and hope your language skills gets you the interview.

I would go onto 'cadre emploi .fr' and look at jobs and the type of qualifications required.

Gypsy57 Sep 12th 2014 7:13 am

I shall have a look at that, thanks for your advice! How long have you been in France now?

Touraine Sep 12th 2014 7:19 am

Originally Posted by Gypsy57 (Post 11402072)
I shall have a look at that, thanks for your advice! How long have you been in France now?

I arrived 2 years after university and have been here for about 17 years or so. I watched my French sister in law go through Uni and she came out with the wrong degree. She then did a conversion course. She then change careers again and did another conversion course. It's a nightmare the French employment market.

Gypsy57 Sep 12th 2014 7:25 am

I can see that being nightmarish for her!
Actually I have no idea what to do with it afterwards. I want to focus on and solidify the skills I have and see where it takes me. If I eventually have to leave France afterwards then I will have to cross that bridge when it comes.

Touraine Sep 12th 2014 7:36 am

That is your problem. I can understand what you want to do, but will it get you a better job ? I am assuming you are teaching languages. Your salary as a language teacher in France will not increase with that degree. Experience will count for more.

Like I said, if you want to apply your language skills in business.....get a business qualification.

Most jobs in business require you to speak at least 2/3 languages. You have five. You don't need to prove it with a qualification.

I would do some hard thinking before jumping into anything...especially in France.

Gypsy57 Sep 12th 2014 7:42 am

Originally Posted by touraine (Post 11402091)

I would do some hard thinking before jumping into anything...especially in France.

I will. Thanks again!!