British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/)
-   -   Strap yourselves down for further lockdown (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/strap-yourselves-down-further-lockdown-935483/)

Tweedpipe Oct 28th 2020 8:58 pm

Strap yourselves down for further lockdown

Anyone watching the French news this evening will be aware that E. Macron has announced lockdown for France from midnight of Thurs this week.
Further clarification is expected tomorrow but the main points would appear to be:
Essential stores will remain open, ditto for schools (high schools, primary and nurseries).
Bars, restaurants, cinemas, theatres will close, as will universities.
Justification forms required for anyone leaving home (as during the first lockdown), with non-essential travel between different regions of France no longer allowed - with exceptions just for this weekend.
These changes are expected to remain until 1st Dec, after which the situation will be reviewed.

scrubbedexpat056 Oct 28th 2020 11:03 pm

Re: Strap yourselves down for further lockdown

I can only hope that as during the last lockdown we'll be able to return if we can prove we live in France. We're stuck in UK, probably until the end of November, but are desperate to get home, lockdown or not. If anyone comes across specific rules related to this area I'd appreciate hearing about it.

KJMW Oct 29th 2020 5:33 am

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe (Post 12927381)
Anyone watching the French news this evening will be aware that E. Macron has announced lockdown for France from midnight of Thurs this week.
Further clarification is expected tomorrow but the main points would appear to be:
Essential stores will remain open, ditto for schools (high schools, primary and nurseries).
Justification forms required for anyone leaving home (as during the first lockdown), with non-essential travel between different regions of France no longer allowed - with exceptions just for this weekend.
These changes are expected to remain until 1st Dec, after which the situation will be reviewed.

I watched his speech and it still left questions unanswered. Do I need an attestation to buy a pizza? How long can I go out for exercise and how far and again, do I need an attestation. No doubt things will become clearer in the coming days but for now there is still confusion on several points.

campos Oct 29th 2020 7:43 am

Originally Posted by KJMW (Post 12927476)
I watched his speech and it still left questions unanswered. Do I need an attestation to buy a pizza? How long can I go out for exercise and how far and again, do I need an attestation. No doubt things will become clearer in the coming days but for now there is still confusion on several points.

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe (Post 12927381)

Inter-regional travel will not be allowed - would this implicitly include travel across France from one country to another, on motorways, I wonder? What was situation in this regard during first lockdown? I need to travel from Italy to Spain

dmu Oct 29th 2020 7:48 am

Originally Posted by KJMW (Post 12927476)

The PM is giving a press conference this afternoon, with the nitty-gritty details, but yes, you'll need an attestation to go and buy a pizza (or any other food or medicines), just like last time. I THINK I heard Macron say that we can go out for an hour's exercise, within xx of our domicile, like the last time, but I can't find confirmation. We'll know for sure this afternoon....
Meanwhile I imagine I'll be among the hoards filling up with loo paper and pasta today, before the deadline of Attestation-less shopping...
Keep safe every one, it's all for our own good and for me, "liberté" means being free from Covid infection.;)

campos Oct 29th 2020 7:52 am

Originally Posted by dmu (Post 12927491)
The PM is giving a press conference this afternoon, with the nitty-gritty details, but yes, you'll need an attestation to go and buy a pizza (or any other food or medicines), just like last time. I THINK I heard Macron say that we can go out for an hour's exercise, within xx of our domicile, like the last time, but I can't find confirmation. We'll know for sure this afternoon....
Meanwhile I imagine I'll be among the hoards filling up with loo paper and pasta today, before the deadline of Attestation-less shopping...
Keep safe every one, it's all for our own good and for me, "liberté" means being free from Covid infection.;)

Any idea what time press conference is?

dmu Oct 29th 2020 7:55 am

Originally Posted by campos (Post 12927489)
Inter-regional travel will not be allowed - would this implicitly include travel across France from one country to another, on motorways, I wonder? What was situation in this regard during first lockdown? I need to travel from Italy to Spain

This saves me posting on the Spain forum! This indeed implicitly includes travelling across France without "going home" to your country of residence. In the other direction, the Attestation would cover you, as you'd be returning "home" to Italy.
@Alianco At the time of writing, you'll be able to return to France and travel down through the Régions, as it's your country of Résidence (make sure you've got documents to prove this).

dmu Oct 29th 2020 7:57 am

Originally Posted by campos (Post 12927494)
Any idea what time press conference is?

18h30

campos Oct 29th 2020 7:59 am

Originally Posted by dmu (Post 12927496)
This saves me posting on the Spain forum! This indeed implicitly includes travelling across France without "going home" to your country of residence. In the other direction, the Attestation would cover you, as you'd be returning "home" to Italy.
@Alianco At the time of writing, you'll be able to return to France and travel down through the Régions, as it's your country of Résidence (make sure you've got documents to prove this).

As I'm moving home - to Portugal, it could be argued I'm returning to my new rental place...but then I'd have to get the rental van back to Italy:(

olivefarmer Oct 29th 2020 8:41 am

You might be alright going from Italy to Portugal as it is all travel in the Schengen zone. We found hotels were very hit and miss during the last lockdown in France.

anyone know what it means for cross channel car travel as I read Schengen border closed.? We have continued family troubles in UK and cannot fly for various reasons.

campos Oct 29th 2020 8:49 am

Originally Posted by olivefarmer (Post 12927511)
You might be alright going from Italy to Portugal as it is all travel in the Schengen zone. We found hotels were very hit and miss during the last lockdown in France.

anyone know what it means for cross channel car travel as I read Schengen border closed.? We have continued family troubles in UK and cannot fly for various reasons.

Thanks, that would be my hope. Not optimistic. Waiting to hear France PM later and see this new Attestation form.

scrubbedexpat056 Oct 29th 2020 9:47 am

Originally Posted by dmu (Post 12927496)
At the time of writing, you'll be able to return to France and travel down through the Régions, as it's your country of Résidence (make sure you've got documents to prove this).

Yes, that's what I hoped. Thankfully I scanned the documents we needed to apply for our titres de sejour when last in France knowing we'd be applying from UK when it came online so I can print off a load of stuff. Also I already took the car back before our 90 days insurance ran out so now we'll be flying (or possibly TGVing, Ryanair having stopped all flights to Carcassonne and Toulouse and not knowing who will be next) back home. I guess there'll be very few times we'd need to show proof of residence.

EuroTrash Oct 29th 2020 9:54 am

Originally Posted by olivefarmer (Post 12927511)

In the first lockdown there was no problem travelling via Euroshuttle even when it was difficult to book a flight. As I recall you were warned at the start of the booking process to make sure you were entitled to travel and had your attestation etc.

brian12 Oct 29th 2020 10:26 am

Hi,we were going to book apartments in the Alsace and close to Calais for our drive back from Italy next week.We normally book hotels but obviously this is safer.Anyone know how I obtain an attestation and whether accomodation would be bookable,TIA,Brian.

EuroTrash Oct 29th 2020 10:58 am

Updated attestations will be available on the government website from tonight I believe.
I suspect tourist accommodation will not take bookings because people aren't allowed to go on holiday. But I'm not sure why booking an apartment for one night is safer than booking a hotel room for one night? You say "obviously" but I am not seeing it :confused: