Strap yourselves down for further lockdown

Strap yourselves down for further lockdown

Old Nov 1st 2020, 1:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat056 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Strap yourselves down for further lockdown

Originally Posted by Helen1964
Just go for it.
We've got plenty of proof we live in France, though no titres de sejour since we have only just applied. In the event of no specific answers, which I suspect will be the case, I think we'll go for it. Nous devons vivre d'espoir, as I leant to say entering a canal for which my boat was probably too deep.
Old Nov 1st 2020, 2:28 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alianco
We've got plenty of proof we live in France, though no titres de sejour since we have only just applied. In the event of no specific answers, which I suspect will be the case, I think we'll go for it. Nous devons vivre d'espoir, as I leant to say entering a canal for which my boat was probably too deep.
Go for it! Book your flight and if, for some reason, it's cancelled, you should be reimbursed or offered a Voucher for a later trip. Or at least EasyJet did this for me - maybe Ryanair is more complicated....
Don't forget to sign an Attestation (one for each person) to cover you from the Airport to your home. As your situation hasn't got a box on the Attestation to tick, I'd add "retour à ma résidence principale" at the bottom.
HTH
Old Nov 1st 2020, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

Vesna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alianco
Just a suggestion, but if you go to www.gendarmerie.interieur.gouv.fr you can discuss it on line and they will advise you what to do. They actually try to help you. We had our answer within 30 seconds! Best of luck.
Old Nov 1st 2020, 3:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vesna
Just a suggestion, but if you go to www.gendarmerie.interieur.gouv.fr you can discuss it on line and they will advise you what to do. They actually try to help you. We had our answer within 30 seconds! Best of luck.
Would you be happy to share what the answer was? It could be helpful other forum visitors in a similar situation.
(Apologies if you have said already and I missed it!)
Old Nov 1st 2020, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vesna
An interesting site worthy of bookmarking. But suggest using as a last resort as much of the info currently being requested is already available on the government website. It should be remembered that Gendarmes are military personnel and are currently submerged with issues. Here is a recent statement from the GENDinfo website:
Following the reconfinement announced by the President of the Republic on Wednesday, October 28, the number of calls to the various operational centers of the gendarmerie has exploded in the past 48 hours. In order not to clog these telephone platforms dedicated above all to emergencies, the gendarmes recalled that a good deal of information is already available on the government website. In addition, a 24-hour toll-free number has been set up to answer all non-medical questions about the coronavirus and the measures taken: 0 800 130 000.
The French Police and their officers (OPJ) on the other hand are civilians - in the judicial line of command and generally operate in urban context or specialized functions such as customs & excise.
Old Nov 1st 2020, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

Vesna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Would you be happy to share what the answer was? It could be helpful other forum visitors in a similar situation.
(Apologies if you have said already and I missed it!)
We asked if we can travel back to our home in UK next weekend, returning from our French holiday home. The answer was YES and to use the standard Attestation form and tick 'motif familial imperieux' and attach the details of channel crossing ticket. Whilst they might be overwhelmed by additional phonecalls if one uses the online 24/7 chat line, they answer immediately and you can print off their reply / statement from a named gendarme.
Old Nov 3rd 2020, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Seriously?
How do non-French expats who don't have Canadian spouses manage to keep up with the news? If they don't speak French, they can read the up-to-date info and details on important, and little, things, on Forums like this one.
For example, you can take your car to go shopping or for medical treatment, so no need for it to be shut up for the duration. Unless they live in a city, not many people (I, for one) have adequate food shops or pharmacies within 1 km of their domicile and the Attestation provides for that. My Attestations were never checked the last time (nor yesterday when I drove 5 km for a physio session and shopping), but the fine is offputting if by chance you are caught without one.
HTH
Yes, seriously, because I don't see people staying home or stopping parties or wearing masks or social distancing. My french neighbors and landlord inform me that we don't really have Covid here in our city, no need for masks or social distancing in fact they make apoint of making us feel silly for doing so. So you see, if it weren't for the messages coming in to alert us we would never guess that there as any threat of Covid or that we had to write out an Attestation, wear a mask or social distance. Our car is, for us. a little bit difficult to get to, across big busy streets from our narrow staired walk up apartment, across a tram track and in a garage we rent. But thanks very mich for making me feel ever so stupid.
Old Nov 4th 2020, 7:04 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tumbleweedly
Yes, seriously, because I don't see people staying home or stopping parties or wearing masks or social distancing. My french neighbors and landlord inform me that we don't really have Covid here in our city, no need for masks or social distancing in fact they make apoint of making us feel silly for doing so. So you see, if it weren't for the messages coming in to alert us we would never guess that there as any threat of Covid or that we had to write out an Attestation, wear a mask or social distance. Our car is, for us. a little bit difficult to get to, across big busy streets from our narrow staired walk up apartment, across a tram track and in a garage we rent. But thanks very mich for making me feel ever so stupid.
Sorry that you are taking it this way, it wasn't my intention.
But the subject has been extensively covered on the forum, ever since the first confinement, for the precise purpose of enabling non-French-speaking expats to understand the up-to-date rules and regulations.
You've already said that your area doesn't comply with "French values", and your neighbours obviously don't comply with the Covid rules, either. Your neighbourhood might be a Covid hotspot, esp. if everyone denies the existence of the virus, and you should take great care when going out, and the least often possible. Masks, hand gel, disinfecting lingettes, etc... and 1 m distancing, not forgetting the Attestation which you can download and tick where appropriate, each time you go out (shopping/medical issues/physical exercise for no more than 1 hour and within a radius of 1 km from your home...). That's the latest news in a nutshell.
If you can't envisage a move, then follow the news on official French media and/or read the pertinent threads on this forum.
In such troubled times, we try to help, hoping that members are open to exclamations of surprize...
Old Nov 4th 2020, 7:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

TBH I think it's pretty much essential these days to check the national and local news each morning, either online or on the radio. The situation changes day to day. Relying on being told, be it by neighbours who may not be up to date themselves or who may prefer false news to fact, or by some organisation sending you an email update once in a while, just doesn't seem enough to keep on top of the situation and put yourself in a position to make informed decisions on how best to stay safe. Not to mention the risk of being fined for not complying with a law that you didn't know about, because saying "I didn't know I had to" might not cut much ice with a gendarme.
Old Nov 4th 2020, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

@tumbleweedy
I'll start by saying I like your posts. A lot. They seem pretty sincere and one get's the impression you're a good sort.
Like DMU (and probably others), I was surprised though to read your post #62, especially the comment "If it weren't for the Canadians I would be lost finding out about all these French problems, legalities and obligations."
Although it's not stated, I believe you are a senior couple, who certainly have a fair amount of experience with several moves in France, and also within Europe. Often in these circumstances with greater cultural diversity and cosmopolitan attitude, one is freed from the 'bubble' that so many Brit expats trap themselves into.
If your knowledge of French is still fairly basic, I can quite understand why many Brits do not listen to French radio news - even for myself the high-speed gabble of the newsreader can be downright infuriating (one pleasant exception being Radio Classic 98.8FM). However, assuming a tv is present, there's little excuse in not keeping up to date at least once a day with the local news. French tv is an excellent audio visual way to learn and keep abreast of current local affairs, which imho becomes essential when living abroad. Assuming no radio or tv in the household, a local daily newspaper becomes a must, or at the very least a computer, googling something similar to 'France latest news, breaking stories'. This will ensure that you're never lost in "finding out about all these French problems, legalities and obligations."
It seems that you're in an area where your neighbours are treating Covid 19 lightly, if that be the case keep your distance. Ditto if you enter a store and the assistants are not wearing face-masks. If it were me I'd take a photo of this, and search for another store, and if the 2nd store was just outside your own department (not allowed under current rules), with the photo as evidence I'm pretty sure that you'd have an excellent valid case if stopped and queried by the police.
Fwiw, I certainly didn't read anything disrespectable in DMU's answer to you. Quite the contrary in fact, as her opening comment "Seriously?" I believe was more one of surprise than a personal affront of stupidity.
In the meantime, take good care of yourself, and stay safe.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Nov 4th 2020 at 12:50 pm.