Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Strap yourselves down for further lockdown

Strap yourselves down for further lockdown

Old Oct 30th 2020, 10:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Strap yourselves down for further lockdown

I believe that would count as a good reason. Aren't pets included alongside the vulnerable people who are listed as accepted reasons for travelling? So there should be a box you can tick, and you can explain the rest if necessary.
Old Oct 30th 2020, 10:21 am
Just Joined

Vesna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
I believe that would count as a good reason. Aren't pets included alongside the vulnerable people who are listed as accepted reasons for travelling? So there should be a box you can tick, and you can explain the rest if necessary.
Oh, I hope you are right but not sure the form would justify our trip all the way to Calais? Animals are only mentioned as the daily exercise or a necessary trip to the vets. Perhaps we just need to refer to a sick relative or a childcare need - would we need some kind of proof for that?
Old Oct 30th 2020, 11:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to recall that the genuine needs of animals, veterinary care etc, were recognised in the first lockdown.
I really wouldn't tell fibs to the gandarmes. If they ask questions and suspect you were fibbing hey will have zero sympathy. Whereas if you explain the situation they will hopefully understand that you had no other option. Obvoiusly it is an exceptional situation. Could you ask at your mairie for reassurance?
Old Oct 30th 2020, 11:12 am
Just Joined

I seem to recall that the genuine needs of animals, veterinary care etc, were recognised in the first lockdown.
I really wouldn't tell fibs to the gandarmes. If they ask questions and suspect you were fibbing hey will have zero sympathy. Whereas if you explain the situation they will hopefully understand that you had no other option. Obvoiusly it is an exceptional situation. Could you ask at your mairie for reassurance?
Old Oct 30th 2020, 11:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat056 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dmu;12927914As said, a Certificate dated less than 72 hours stating that you're Covid-negative, must be presented at the border, failing which they'll do a test on the spot. [b
Which in turn must mean having to wait for the result before being able to continue...[/b]
This makes sense, but I can't imagine how it would work. I've tried to find some relevant info on the internet, but failed. We are planning/hoping to fly to Toulouse via Paris and then train to Carcassonne in November. Would we be tested in Paris while we swap planes or Toulouse at customs? If we have to wait for the results where would that be and for how long? At what cost?

From experience we have a lot of faith in the French testing system and little in the UK one, certainly in so far as receiving the results quickly is concerned. Anyone any idea where to look for this info?
Old Oct 30th 2020, 11:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat056 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, something weird happened with the highlighting. I meant to highlight the last sentence.
Old Oct 30th 2020, 11:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Didn't someone say that the results of airport tests take 30 minutes?
Old Oct 30th 2020, 12:28 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't someone say that the results of airport tests take 30 minutes?
It would be the quick one's because I doubt they are going to have quarantine centers at every point of entry.
Old Oct 30th 2020, 1:54 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Travel to holiday homes in France is prohibited. Seems pretty unambiguous to me.

Why would you even want to, or am I missing something?
Erm if you check the post again you'll see that I haven't found anything in all the links to say that it is prohibited for non-french residents in Schengen. It IS prohibited for French residents, as mentioned.

​​​​​​But the Shengen border is open according to Castex. So I can cross from Belgium. We've been virtually in lockdown recently, and with our awful CV numbers - its not unthinkable that we will go into full lockdown soon (if not this weekend)

If you have found something unambiguous for EU residents within Schengen ... Who are non French resident, please share. As I said it seems unfair to me, but if not illegal... Ill do it.

​​​​​​Why? Well why not? Being locked down in France has both its negatives and positives, and its 'new' ... A change from Belgium In these crazy times that old adage may still apply... ' variety is the spice of life"

Jon
PS as mentioned, it was only presented last night from Castex After Macron set the ball rolling. So I expect to see more meat on the bones for this kind of thin6

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Oct 30th 2020 at 1:57 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2020, 2:01 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G-J-B
My wife had to leave for work this morning, so she used this form: https://media.interieur.gouv.fr/depl...wJsVXVaTGJkzWI
I don't know if that's a left over relic from the first wave or not. Last night when I checked the main government website it still didn't appear available - talk about leaving it last minute. I suspect they won't be policing it too hard today, especially given they haven't provided provisions for people to easily access and download it.

Jon-Bxl: Many Parisians have fled to their second residence. You could always claim you were on holiday, and then you'd have this weekend left to get there, after that it may be tricky.
Thanks G-J-B.
If I can go it will be next weekend 7-8 November. The complexity is crossing into France, then getting to the 2nd home, without fines. When there I will fully follow quarantine regs.
Thanks again
Jon

​​​​
Old Oct 30th 2020, 2:22 pm
BE Positive

Re the points about going back to a primary residence outside France, whilst under lockdown in France, my opinion is that this IS possible. Its not on the attestation forms themselves, but :-

1 you are leaving France, so 1 less person that they have a duty of care for.
2 You are repatriating to your home country, within the EU. It may be a right as long as you do it properly. Even outside the EU. Its difficult to see how they can stop you if you are legal.

If you have transport arranged and have no e.g symptoms, I dont see how they can stop you repatriating.

Why do I say this? I already did it myself this year, went through TWO closed EU/Schengen borders, having to show boarding cards, tickets, passports/ID to the armed police/military blocking the road. A few of my friends also did this. I found the authorities very polite and accepting when they saw that I had all the documents prepared.... And was going home.

​​​​​​Its not as bad at the moment, as it was then. Schengen is open it wasn't then in 1st lockdown. My UK-resident friends got to the Channel and had no problems, either, crossing the water. They also flew in with no issues.

Of course you should check the current situation for yourselves.

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Oct 30th 2020 at 2:24 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2020, 2:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Erm if you check the post again you'll see that I haven't found anything in all the links to say that it is prohibited for non-french residents in Schengen. It IS prohibited for French residents, as mentioned.

​​​​​​But the Shengen border is open according to Castex. So I can cross from Belgium. We've been virtually in lockdown recently, and with our awful CV numbers - its not unthinkable that we will go into full lockdown soon (if not this weekend)

If you have found something unambiguous for EU residents within Schengen ... Who are non French resident, please share. As I said it seems unfair to me, but if not illegal... Ill do it.

​​​​​​Why? Well why not? Being locked down in France has both its negatives and positives, and its 'new' ... A change from Belgium In these crazy times that old adage may still apply... ' variety is the spice of life"

Jon
PS as mentioned, it was only presented last night from Castex After Macron set the ball rolling. So I expect to see more meat on the bones for this kind of thin6
I did read your post, and I'm sorry but your argument makes no sense to me, unless I am missing something.
France has stated that "voyager au sein du territoire national, y compris d'une résidence principale vers une résidence secondaire" is not allowed. Why do you think only applies to French residents? Are you seriously trying to argue that only French residents are subject to French law, so that if you live for instance in Belgium you don't have to obey speed limits on French roads, you don't have to wear a mask in public buildings in France, you can travel through France without an attestation, to visit a holiday home etc?

Schengen borders are open so that people with legitimate reasons to travel, such as cross border workers and people who live one side a border and have elderly relatives the other side, are not prevented from making essential journeys.

The international travel attestation you would have to complete is here https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actual...t-et-de-voyage. If you can find a box to tick that allows you to travel to a holiday home, please tell us which it is.

EDIT I know that what happens in one country is not necessarily what happens everywhere, but for instance when you drive from England into Wales the overhead signs on the motorway are currently displaying the message "BE AWARE: WELSH COVID RULES APPLY" i.e. English cannot come to their holiday homes in Wales, they can't visit beauty spots, they can't come to Wales for a day trip. If you try and the police stop you for a check, they send you back home with a fine. AFAIK it's the same everywhere, as soon as you cross a border you are automatically governed by the laws of the country whose territory you have entered.

Last edited by EuroTrash; Oct 30th 2020 at 2:42 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2020, 3:13 pm
BE Positive

I did read your post, and I'm sorry but your argument makes no sense to me, unless I am missing something.
France has stated that "voyager au sein du territoire national, y compris d'une résidence principale vers une résidence secondaire" is not allowed. Why do you think only applies to French residents? Are you seriously trying to argue that only French residents are subject to French law, so that if you live for instance in Belgium you don't have to obey speed limits on French roads, you don't have to wear a mask in public buildings in France, you can travel through France to visit a holiday home etc?

Schengen borders are open so that people with legitimate reasons to travel, such as cross border workers and people who live one side a border and have elderly relatives the other side, are not prevented from making essential journeys.

EDIT I know that what happens in one country is not necessarily what happens everywhere, but for instance when you drive from England into Wales the overhead signs on the motorway are currently displaying the message "BE AWARE: WELSH COVID RULES APPLY" i.e. English cannot come to their holiday homes in Wales, they can't visit beauty spots, they can't come to Wales for a day trip. If you try and the police stop you for a check, they send you back home with a fine. AFAIK it's the same everywhere, as soon as you cross a border you are automatically governed by the laws of the country whose territory you have entered.
Gosh I didn't mean to annoy you at all.!!! If you are, then others are too, and I apologise. My first post included other things like eg the link to the attests that someone was requesting.

I am not 'suggesting' (or even 'arguing') anything! I have already said that this possibility is unfair! I hope you read that..

​​​​My whole point is that I am not 'voyaging au sein de territore national'. I would be coming from another Schengen country.

​​​​​Based on all the research I did and shared in the first post, its clear that its not possible for French residents to do this. As totally 'unfair' as it is (the actual word I used) if it is possible to go (for me) I will do it. Until I am told explicitly, I wont make assumptions. Even though this is unfair. Of course it's unlikely that I will be able to do this, but I've heard nothing to confirm that 100%.

Ive found in life that often things ain't quite as expected, so why not check? If 99 times out of 101 its a waste of time...OK.... But the other 2... An opportunity!

I also said that details like this need to be fleshed out a bit, as after all, the speech was just last night and I am waiting for the government site to be updated. I think I mentioned these sentiments more than once.

I am sure that in a couple if days, all this will be clear. Ill wait till I hear from the experts/authorities to be 100% sure.

Jon

PS I totally understand the frustration people in beautiful parts of the country felt when hoards if tourists came from the 'big infected city' to the beauty spots. Especially just before lockdown. I was in one, and annoyed at the influx. Then soon after we went into full lockdown.

In this unlikely (and unfair) case, I will have to go directly into full lockdown in France, and follow all the rules, so its different
​​​​

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Oct 30th 2020 at 3:21 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2020, 3:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Gosh I didn't mean to annoy you at all.!!!

​​​​My whole point is that I am not 'voyaging au sein de territore national'. I would be coming from another Schengen country.

​​​​
I wasn't annoyed, just struggling to follow your logic. I rather liked the idea of being able to say "stuff your 80kph speed limit, I'm a Brit and it doesn't apply to me"!

I see what you're saying now, but I think you are trying to split an unsplittable hair. France often talks about le territoire national and it always just means, France and the overseas territories where applicable. Talking about travelling within le territoire national is just another way of saying travelling within France and relevant bits of outre mer, and that is what every francophone would understand it to mean. If he'd said "si vous voyagez au sein de votre territoire national", that would have been different and you would have a case. But he didn't. As far as Messrs Macron, Castex et al are concerned, the national territory is always France, regardless of what anyone else's national territory might be.

Last edited by EuroTrash; Oct 30th 2020 at 3:53 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2020, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the advice, we will stick with the truth and try to get something from our mairie. 👍

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.