Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Starting a business in France

Starting a business in France

Old Dec 16th 2015, 4:40 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Starting a business in France

Portail officiel des auto-entrepreneurs

Additions welcome!!

P.S. The last time I did this, the thread entered the FAQs by magic!
Old Dec 17th 2015, 6:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Starting a business in France

https://www.apce.com/pid186/espace-c....html?espace=1 - sets out the 10 steps in the official French blueprint of 'how to start a successful business'. No.7 explains the different types of business set up but there is lots of good info if you have time to read the whole thing section by sections, most questions are answered.

Auto-entrepreneur : la Fédération des auto-entrepreneurs | Fédération autoentrepreneur - for micro entreprises - a good site to keep an eye on to keep up to date with changes (click on the spots to see the different news topics)
Old Dec 17th 2015, 6:47 am
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all

My wife just did this, now paid out more in fee's than she has earnt.

Last edited by loy loy; Dec 17th 2015 at 7:28 am.
Old Dec 17th 2015, 7:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loy loy
My wife just did this, now pad out more in fee's than she has earnt.
I'm sure she's not alone in that.
Which is why it can be a very good idea to plough through the entire APCE page.
I would like to see a comment added to the sticky to the effect that having a good business head, understanding how things work and actively structuring your business so as to maximise the advantages and minimise the disadvantages of whatever regime you choose, ie managing the business side of things and knowing what to expect, is almost more important than being good at your actual 'activity'. But it's hard to say that without making it sound condescending or off-putting.
Old Dec 17th 2015, 7:23 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

On a more serious note, there should something about subsequently closing down the French-registered business which you started.

It's not enough that you don't want to do it any more, or are ill or retiring or even that it is losing money - it is actually extremely difficult, very time-consuming, takes years to complete, requires numerous visits to the Tribunal and the actual winding-up costs money.

There is no such thing as limited liability in the way it exists in the UK; the gerant remains liable for much of the social debt which continues to accumulate during the period that the business is still technically active.

Rant over!
Old Dec 17th 2015, 7:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
On a more serious note, there should something about subsequently closing down the French-registered business which you started.

It's not enough that you don't want to do it any more, or are ill or retiring or even that it is losing money - it is actually extremely difficult, very time-consuming, takes years to complete, requires numerous visits to the Tribunal and the actual winding-up costs money.
To close or modify a micro entreprise you fill in this form online, and send a paper copy in the post to the address you are given: https://www.service-public.fr/profes...sdroits/R17542.

Other types of business are as you say more complex, so yes, another reason to start as a micro until you're sure you have a go-er.

Last edited by EuroTrash; Dec 17th 2015 at 8:07 am.
Old Dec 17th 2015, 8:03 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

There is no such thing as limited liability in the way it exists in the UK; the gerant remains liable for much of the social debt which continues to accumulate during the period that the business is still technically active.

Rant over!
When I retired and closed down my Sàrl, the Expert-Comptable did most of the work and the procedure only took a few months, but what was most time-consuming for me were the subsequent regular requests from URSSAF and the other Organisations for Statements, before their computers had registered that I didn't exist any more. When the computers finally registered, they all sent me forms to fill in to confirm the liquidation of the company, together with justifying documents. The joys of being a Gérante....
Which reminds me that, self-employed and ex-Gérants aren't entitled to Dole Money. Something to take into account in advance if there are doubts as to the business venture's success.
Old Dec 17th 2015, 8:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

On the subject of personal liability -
For new micros, personal property is now automatically protected from business debts:
https://www.service-public.fr/profes...ualites/008247

If the business was set up before April 2015 and you want to protect your personal property, you need to have this recorded through a notaire (a simple procedure I think, but not free).

Last edited by EuroTrash; Dec 17th 2015 at 8:13 am.
Old Dec 17th 2015, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

What a mine of great information here! And what a nightmare associated with setting up and closing a business! A quick Google shows that micro entreprises are still feeling the full brunt of the poor economy, with well over 16000 businesses going bankrupt in the third quarter 2014. In other words the economic recovery, as promised by Flamby has yet to happen.
Old Dec 19th 2015, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

TextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond repute

How about - "Seek urgent psychiatric help - you're going to need it"
I needed it after relocating between NL and B. Here we go again!
Old Dec 19th 2015, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

TextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
I'm sure she's not alone in that.
Which is why it can be a very good idea to plough through the entire APCE page.
I would like to see a comment added to the sticky to the effect that having a good business head, understanding how things work and actively structuring your business so as to maximise the advantages and minimise the disadvantages of whatever regime you choose, ie managing the business side of things and knowing what to expect, is almost more important than being good at your actual 'activity'. But it's hard to say that without making it sound condescending or off-putting.

I think there's much truth in that. I had a soft entry into the NL with an accountant recommended to me by neighbours. Here in France I am 'swimming in the dark'. As my turnover does go above 32.9K on alternate years I've decided its better to go down the SASU route. Anyone been there?
Old Dec 19th 2015, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

Lots of French acronyms here
[QUOTE=dmu;
my Sàrl,
the Expert-Comptable
URSSAF
The joys of being a Gérante....
[/QUOTE]

Please fill in the gaps...
thanks
Old Dec 19th 2015, 8:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

An SARL is a type of business structure, a bit like a Ltd Co I think but you'll find the details on the website I suggested ;-)

the Expert-Comptable is an accountant

URSSAF is the body that collects social security contributions https://www.urssaf.fr/portail/home.html

A Gérant/gérante is the director or manager of a company
Old Dec 19th 2015, 8:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by TextualHealing
I think there's much truth in that. I had a soft entry into the NL with an accountant recommended to me by neighbours. Here in France I am 'swimming in the dark'. As my turnover does go above 32.9K on alternate years I've decided its better to go down the SASU route. Anyone been there?
I've never heard of a SASU, although I've heard of an SAS. I translate it as 'a simplified joint stock company' and pretend I know what it means - but I don't really

Last edited by EuroTrash; Dec 19th 2015 at 8:20 pm.
Old Dec 19th 2015, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
I've never heard of a SASU, although I've heard of an SAS. I translate it as 'a simplified joint stock company' and pretend I know what it means - but I don't really
This was the link I was given! Créer une SASU : quels sont les avantages ? | Le coin des entrepreneurs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.