Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Speed bump pain

Speed bump pain

Old Jul 28th 2015, 8:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Speed bump pain

I far preferred the 'chicanes' they had a craze on about 10 years ago. They made you slow down and as long as you didn't hit the kerbs you didn't get jolted.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 8:14 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cjm
Here what you say ET, but IVV intimated this was a solo decision. Local gossip, news would travel pretty fast via bar, restaurants, baker et al. There would have to be written records, cost estimates, nominated contractor. Perhaps a 1-2-1 with the Mairie is the initial route.

These humps in France and UK never seem to follow a uniform mould, width, height, some are moulded plastic in garish yellow with a hint of black, others a variety of macadam mixes, some left to blend with road surface and catch you out (nightmare for sports cars), some hatched white and if you are lucky a sign!
UK speed bumps have to met certain regulations for the type of round they are on and what speed you will be impacting them at and special authorisation is needed from the Dot for speed bumps on roads over 30 Mph. Rumble strips tend to do the job combined with speed cameras in accident black spots.

Vertical deflections
2.1.1 The primary legislation is contained in sections 90A to 90F of the Highways Act 1980
(as amended by the Transport Act 1981). The Act (sections 90A and 90B) makes it clear that road humps can only be constructed on roads with speed limits of 30 mph or less. There are exemptions for London (see paragraph 2.1.5). There are requirements to advertise, and to consult the police (section 90C). The Act also provides assurance that road humps constructed in accordance with the regulations, or specially authorised, or constructed prior to adoption of the highway, are not treated as obstructions (section 90E).
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1.../contents/made

No doubt they is even more newer legislation on it, yet resolving pot holes is impossible.

Last edited by Chatter Static; Jul 28th 2015 at 8:24 am.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of

I could do with a handfull of them here in time for the hunting season; the hunters drive through our hamlet (nominal speed limit 15 kph) like dingbats first one direction then the other - any time between September and February...
Blackie
Old Jul 28th 2015, 8:26 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blackladder
I could do with a handfull of them here in time for the hunting season; the hunters drive through our hamlet (nominal speed limit 15 kph) like dingbats first one direction then the other - any time between September and February...
Blackie
Well place car or kids toys do the trick....
Old Jul 28th 2015, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by audio
You have actually seen a Gendarme? They are as rare as rocking horse shite here.
Gendarme rarely but usually when seen at our cross roads catching speeders, tourists and those sans -papiers (insurance I mean)

Police Municipal - frequently, a brilliant bunch who are patient, helpful and can be a lot of fun after a couple of pastis - both female!!
Old Jul 28th 2015, 3:46 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your ruminations. I'm sure it was not a decision taken on the fly but no-one I know was aware that they were about to install them and, it appears, I was not the only one caught short by their sudden appearance. Someone even took an aerosol paint spray to them to try and highlight their existence but being dark blue the paint was not very visible.

Life's too short to get involved in suing anyone and I'm sure my back pain will have disappeared long before I get anywhere. I assume signage was the contractor's responsibility though I would have thought someone at the Mairie is supposed to monitor the execution of the work.

At the end of the day someone is bound to suggest I was going too fast (which I probably was) but then, of course, that is the only reason they are putting in the speed bumps. I read somewhere that their use causes a marked increase in exhaust pollution due to everyone accelerating after the bumps so, one way or another, our cars will eventually succeed in killing the villagers.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

I read recently that there is an EC proposal to limit speed to 30kph in ALL built up areas.
So expect more!
Old Jul 28th 2015, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

I have a French friend who while driving in his commune didn't notice a speed bump.
He went over it too fast and burst a tyre and to add insult to injury, he couldn't get the ****** wheel off.
I learned a load of new words when he was telling me about it a short time later.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 5:10 pm
Cad
Forum Regular

Cad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
Our new Maire (new broom) decided to install speed bumps in and around the village as he considers the 30kph limit is not being respected.

The first bump was installed last week but they didn't get round to erecting warnings sign until 2 days later nor did they paint it until 4 days later. Neither did they leave any cones or roadwork signs.

I drove over the thing without even seeing it (yes, probably at more than 30kph but actually even at 30kph it gives a helluva jolt) and as a result the missus and I still have back pain some 5 days later.

What would you do?
Serves you right, you shouldn't ignore the rules, speed bumps or not.
To many people speed through villages where its 50k let alone 30.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cad
Serves you right, you shouldn't ignore the rules.
Too many people speed through posts without bothering to read them.

Why not read IVVs post again?
Old Jul 29th 2015, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cad
@Cad,
Are you trying to tell us that you have never, ever, exceeded any speed limit knowingly in any country?
Similarly, have you never, ever ignored any rules?
We want the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth - so help you God!

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Jul 29th 2015 at 6:26 pm.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Love the new motor IVV
Attached Thumbnails Speed bump pain-ivvs-new-wheels.jpg  
Old Jul 29th 2015, 6:48 pm
Quien no sabe

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
Love the new motor IVV
Rumor has it he might run that man down next week..
Old Jul 29th 2015, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Old Jul 30th 2015, 7:09 am
Cad
Forum Regular

Cad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
@Cad,
Are you trying to tell us that you have never, ever, exceeded any speed limit knowingly in any country?
Similarly, have you never, ever ignored any rules?
We want the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth - so help you God!

Of course I have and who hasn't at some or another time on a main road or autoroute .
I was relating to going through villages where even going over 30ks can at times be dangerous.

In our village all have been petitioning our "new" maire for months to put in "gendarme couchant" because of stupid people (mostly rat runners)who ignore the limit in our narrow roads and he is now at last going to.Just last week there was a very near miss involving a speeder and two young lads on bikes. So far this year a garden wall has been demolished and another car upside down in a garden. Some don't even want to slow down and stop for the November 11th wreath laying ceremony.

As for not seeing the bosses, that I can't understand as if you are looking where you are going they stand out like mole hills in a bowling green

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.