Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Speaking French with an English accent

Speaking French with an English accent

Old Nov 21st 2018, 9:45 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Speaking French with an English accent

Originally Posted by dmu
I always pronounce a German W as an English V, and a German V rather like an English F, so it can't be that....
@Vinosity: I thought of you the other day when I opened a bottle of Estève!!
Right-ho, not pronunciation based then. What you have described here is EXACTLY what's tripping me up at the moment.
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

In half a dozen visits to France over the past fifty years, my experience has been that the natives are delighted to hear an Englishman even attempt to speak French. They appreciate the courtesy.

Once, years and years ago when I was in an American Express Office behind an American tourist - overweight and over-bearing - who was giving the French chap behind the counter a hell of a time, abusing him (in unnecessarily loud English) for every fault under the sun. When he finally left and it was my turn, I asked my question in my very hesitant schoolboy French. The garcon said impatiently, in English, "You can speak English" - but there was no way on earth I was going to risk being associated in his mind with the preceding English-speaker. So I stumbled on in atrocious French for the whole five minutes of our conversation, defying all his pleadings to abandon the pathetic effort. "No, this is your country," I said, in broken French, "So I must speak your language. That's only polite." In the event, he suffered far, far, more from my efforts than from the rude American's, but there was no way I was going to let him off the hook.
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 4:15 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
In half a dozen visits to France over the past fifty years, my experience has been that the natives are delighted to hear an Englishman even attempt to speak French. They appreciate the courtesy.

Once, years and years ago when I was in an American Express Office behind an American tourist - overweight and over-bearing - who was giving the French chap behind the counter a hell of a time, abusing him (in unnecessarily loud English) for every fault under the sun. When he finally left and it was my turn, I asked my question in my very hesitant schoolboy French. The garcon said impatiently, in English, "You can speak English" - but there was no way on earth I was going to risk being associated in his mind with the preceding English-speaker. So I stumbled on in atrocious French for the whole five minutes of our conversation, defying all his pleadings to abandon the pathetic effort. "No, this is your country," I said, in broken French, "So I must speak your language. That's only polite." In the event, he suffered far, far, more from my efforts than from the rude American's, but there was no way I was going to let him off the hook.
Well this Frenchman doesn't sound very delighted or appreciative of your efforts!
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

This post made my day! From now onwards I plan to refer to Mme TP as the 'native'.
Watch this space, or the obituary columns...........
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 7:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

When I spoke Bulgarian I was sometimes asked what part of the Soviet Union I came from !
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Well this Frenchman doesn't sound very delighted or appreciative of your efforts!
Ah well, it's all too late now, sport!
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
This post made my day! From now onwards I plan to refer to Mme TP as the 'native'.
Watch this space, or the obituary columns...........
Well, if she's native-born French, and you live in France, what else would you call her? Please tell me "native" for a native-born in any country is not on the English-speaking world's list of taboo-words these days!
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I'm also absolutely convinced that my accent improved with wine intake
I thought ithat is a given !
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Well, if she's native-born French, and you live in France, what else would you call her? Please tell me "native" for a native-born in any country is not on the English-speaking world's list of taboo-words these days!
That would make you an alien then.
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cyrian
That would make you an alien then.
Well, you may not know this, but in US-English, "alien" is the word for "foreigner".
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/alien
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 9:04 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not attempting to hijack, honest, but this one brought me up a bit.

My third Flemish lesson yesterday, I was advised to 'stop thinking in French'.

We were into pronunciation (at a very, very basic level) for yesterday's session.

My new prof is good and spookily on target with that remark, I do think most of the time in French.
Old Nov 24th 2018, 6:58 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy

We were into pronunciation (at a very, very basic level) for yesterday's session.

My new prof is good and spookily on target with that remark, I do think most of the time in French.
You're not hijacking the thread! Interesting point, which can lead to another question:
If you aren't same-language couples, do you all think in French (and, like me, have problems adapting when visiting an Anglophone country)? To my embarrassment, I often bring out a literal translation of a French expression instead of the English equivalent...
Old Nov 24th 2018, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Well, you may not know this, but in US-English, "alien" is the word for "foreigner".
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/alien
Yes I did know that thanks.
Hence the smiley
Old Nov 24th 2018, 8:38 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy

This is so true. I became fluent in German after working there for 8+ years also to the point of thinking in that tongue. Years later when we decided to buy a second home in France, although I had been OK in basic french earlier in life, for several years I was still thinking in German as I attempted to converse in French. This resulted in German sentence structures emerging in French all by themselves.

I think I'm over it now.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Nov 24th 2018 at 8:40 am.
Old Nov 24th 2018, 12:27 pm
Gloves off

Originally Posted by dmu
You're not hijacking the thread! Interesting point, which can lead to another question:
If you aren't same-language couples, do you all think in French (and, like me, have problems adapting when visiting an Anglophone country)? To my embarrassment, I often bring out a literal translation of a French expression instead of the English equivalent...
Originally Posted by Novocastrian
This is so true. I became fluent in German after working there for 8+ years also to the point of thinking in that tongue. Years later when we decided to buy a second home in France, although I had been OK in basic french earlier in life, for several years I was still thinking in German as I attempted to converse in French. This resulted in German sentence structures emerging in French all by themselves.

I think I'm over it now.
Linguistically this (now extended) household is a complete hotch-potch. I'm English mother tongue, with a quite reasonable level of French, and a smattering of German from when I lived and worked there 30-odd years back, now just embarking on Flemish. OH is Dutch/Flemish mother tongue, with perfect English, arguably fluent French, a similar level of German to myself plus a smattering of Finnish - this due to her best mate being a Finn. Eldest stepdaughter is French mother tongue, with fluent Dutch, English and German, and an increasing interest in learning Italian. Her boyfriend is German mother tongue, fluent English, rapidly taking French and Dutch on board. Younger stepdaughter is rooted in French, but understands Dutch and English well enough to reply...in French.

It's not uncommon for us to have French, English and German intermixed within a conversation, sometimes even within the same sentence

In my time spent in Suisse Romande I took part in three national censuses (I received a book token for participating in each!) one of the questions was "Which language do you think in?" I replied 'English' on two occasions, but the last time I honestly answered 'French', presumably I was fully immersed by that point. I remember at the time that some UK press picked up on this census question and reported it as if it were 'a strange question'. Well not to me, for sure.

We've been in Flanders for three months now, it seems that OH is well and truly 'home' on the language front, and she frequently asks me for French terms - we still have a pile of administrative Swiss French stuff to be gotten through.

I often have trouble finding a phrase in English when speaking with Anglophones and have revert to French in my head and attempt to forward think it, especially true with idioms.

"What on earth are you talking about? Chickens don't have teeth." kind of thing.

So, I'm thinking in French, OH in Flemish - I know this from when she talks in her sleep! - I imagine that both the girls think in French, I'll ask when I go to visit them next month.

Sentence structure is less of a problem for me, as I rarely speak German these days, so I don't get into the "we know where, when and why but not what" trap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.