Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

South of France: I want to be an expat

South of France: I want to be an expat

Old Oct 17th 2011, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

northlondon15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question South of France: I want to be an expat

Hi there. Anyone here looked into buying property in the south of France? I'm retiring next year and seriously considering the better weather and easy living options in spots such as Bordeaux. I've always loved the area but only speak schoolboy French. Any advice on where to start my research? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 12:31 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: South of France: I want to be an expat

Hi and welcome to BE,

I'm not in France so can't help with pointers I'm afraid but I've moved your thread into our France forum for you. We've got loads of wonderful members where who are so great at sharing information, so I'm sure that you will pick up lots of tips here.

While you wait for some folks to pop by your thread read around the the other topics in the France forum and get to know everyone

Welcome again.

Sue
Old Oct 17th 2011, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

As we say to many searchers; we could recommend many places in France but in the end the decision is yours, dependent on budget, hobbies, likes etc. I suggest you come for a few months visiting to really get a feel for the areas you are thinking about and then with a shortlist you could come to us for more specific advice

Have a wonderful time looking
Old Oct 18th 2011, 8:33 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by northlondon15
Hi there. Anyone here looked into buying property in the south of France? I'm retiring next year and seriously considering the better weather and easy living options in spots such as Bordeaux. I've always loved the area but only speak schoolboy French. Any advice on where to start my research? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the Forum, Visit lots ask questions drink wine. Picking an area can be tricky the remote countryside looks nice but can be very hard to settle into even for the French moving from region to region.

Best advice I can offer is double you research into an area, Good Luck
Old Oct 19th 2011, 3:38 pm
Banned

Etoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dennerlymum
As we say to many searchers; we could recommend many places in France but in the end the decision is yours, dependent on budget, hobbies, likes etc. I suggest you come for a few months visiting to really get a feel for the areas you are thinking about and then with a shortlist you could come to us for more specific advice

Have a wonderful time looking

I couldn't agree more.

There are loads of good books about regions of France, about French culture and manners, costs of living. Read one of the Ango-French newspapers. There is one here in the Bearn and elsewhere called Connexions.

Make a list of priorities...do you want rural or urban, outside or inside walking distance to a town? Check out of there are any International clubs in that area. They can be a source of really good help. Do you want mountains or the sea? How do you expect to spend your time? Lots of or a little land? Lots of shops or it doesn;t matter...cinema? Theatre? Concerts? or cosy nights in?

List what you see as important and then put a big circle around an area that seems to answer those requirements. Then go and spend some weeks there looking around.

Good luck!
Old Oct 24th 2011, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by northlondon15
Find a place you like, and rent between, say, September and April, to see if it's as bearable in the winter as it is idyllic in summer.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

south_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nice

Originally Posted by Peabrain
Find a place you like, and rent between, say, September and April, to see if it's as bearable in the winter as it is idyllic in summer.
Many people also find the heat of the south unbearable in the summer, so rent for a full year to experience it all before commiting. If you are moving with children then schooling options are a big thing to think about - local public village school, international school etc.