Sod's law

Old Sep 3rd 2014, 8:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sod's law

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that sod's law must only apply to me.
For instance there's the thread where a UK poster's insurance ran out while they were in France so they're driving back without a current certificate. Now if that were me, there is an excellent chance that the one time I have no current insurance certificate is the one time I get checked on the way to the ferry port. And it would take so long to sort it out with the flics that I'd miss my ferry, and the next ferry would be fully booked, and so it would go on, and all because I didn't spend 5 minutes asking for a certificate to be emailed to me.

Then there's the thread about planning permission, with the poster being told that most of the French don't bother with stuff like that and it's highly unlikely that you'd ever be told to pull something down once it's built. But why even risk it when it only takes 10 minutes to fill the form in and run no risk at all. I just don't get it.

Hasn't anybody else ever been in the position of wishing so hard that they could turn the clock back and spend a few minutes doing something simple, that would have saved the hours of hassle that they've landed themselves in? It's happened to me so many times that I simply don't see the point in taking chances any more. But the consensus on here seems to be that it'll all be alright and that worrying about these things is laughably ridiculous. So I'm thinking maybe I've got a bit paranoid about watching my back without even knowing it.

I wish there was a poll on here - I'd just like to know how much of a minority I'm in.
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 8:52 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sod's law

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
For instance there's the thread where a UK poster's insurance ran out while they were in France so they're driving back without a current certificate. Now if that were me, there is an excellent chance that the one time I have no current insurance certificate is the one time I get checked on the way to the ferry port. And it would take so long to sort it out with the flics that I'd miss my ferry, and the next ferry would be fully booked, and so it would go on, and all because I didn't spend 5 minutes asking for a certificate to be emailed to me.

Then there's the thread about planning permission, with the poster being told that most of the French don't bother with stuff like that and it's highly unlikely that you'd ever be told to pull something down once it's built. But why even risk it when it only takes 10 minutes to fill the form in and run no risk at all. I just don't get it.

Hasn't anybody else ever been in the position of wishing so hard that they could turn the clock back and spend a few minutes doing something simple, that would have saved the hours of hassle that they've landed themselves in? It's happened to me so many times that I simply don't see the point in taking chances any more. But the consensus on here seems to be that it'll all be alright and that worrying about these things is laughably ridiculous. So I'm thinking maybe I've got a bit paranoid about watching my back without even knowing it.

I wish there was a poll on here - I'd just like to know how much of a minority I'm in.
Im a great believer in sods law, and on the planning front yes you can get away with shed loads here pardon the pun although it typically depends on how well you get on with those around you. Then comes the time when you wish to sell and the stress you put off will double and the cost will rise in rectifying the paperwork you didn't do.

I have learnt the expensive way there is no point arguing the toss with a Gendarme it's amazing how many tickets they can write in one traffic stop but in the same token it becomes incredibly useful being in the same social circle as some of them in your local town or village.

As for turning back the clock first person to invert a time machine will get a few free drinks from me.
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 9:14 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=EuroTrash;11391020 I'd just like to know how much of a minority I'm in.[/QUOTE]

You are not alone!
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 9:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, you two, nice to know I'm not completely paranoid
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Plus another one!
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

EuroTrash
I'm sure your post was about me. If there is hassle, I'm the prime target.

Last edited by audio; Sep 3rd 2014 at 10:25 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in too Often think thats stuff only happens to me so its a confort that Sods Law applies to many lol

Last edited by le plumber; Sep 3rd 2014 at 10:42 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 11:55 am
jvc
BE Enthusiast

jvc is an unknown quantity at this point

I was speaking to a friend the other day who went to a neighbours BBQ, and everyone bar him were tanked up on alcohol and driving home afterwards. It's sods law that if i had one drink too many, let alone a skinful I would be the one getting haulled over by the Gendarms not them! So yes I fall very much into that category!
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 5:13 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Well ET, I didn't mean to make you doubt your sanity by suggesting that one shouldn't bother with planning permission in France but there has to be a reason why the French (typically) are so laid back about the very same things that Brits (typically) get their colon in a knot about.

As anyone who has read my posts will know, I spent 23 years in France, 15 of them designing and building houses. The clients have been mainly Brits and Danes and there is a marked difference between them in attitude. The Brits (typically) want everything agreed and approved (and even checked by lawyers in some cases) before they build and the Danes want to get on with building and then sort the paperwork out afterwards. The difference is that the Danes get what they want and they get it fast whereas the Brits end up applying for permission, making changes, re-applying for permission for the changes with all the consequent interruptions and delays to the project timescales. As I've said before a Mairie will more likely refuse something which is on paper than something which is in stone.

By way of an interesting example, I know of a Brit (not a client of mine) who had his house checked for conformity by the DDE after it was built and they found the house was 20cm too high. There ensued, of course, an argument between himself, the builder, the architect and the geometre (all of whom were French) about whose fault it was and who was going to pay. In the end the Brit was so concerned that he forked out for another builder to lower the roof with the intention of suing someone after the event.

Come the day that the DDE re-checked his house, the inspector was flabbergasted that the Brit had lowered the roof by 20cm. "Why have you done that" he was asked. "Because you said the house was 20cm too high" he replied. "For God's sake" the inspector cried "you should have just raised the soil level by 20cm!"

"Ah!" said the Brit "but then it would been above the level of the doors." "Yes" said the inspector "but we're not here to check THAT!"
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

I just thought that I would update you on my progress yesterday.
I am sitting here in my prison cell in Basse Normandie.
Perhaps I shouldn't have described the gendarme's mother is such colourful terms.
Maybe I shouldn't have hit him.
Ho Hum there is always another ferry.

Just kidding!
All went well - beautiful run through Normandy and the journey in the UK was without problem.
I am now happily re-united with the new certificate of insurance and green card.

Last edited by cyrian; Sep 3rd 2014 at 6:16 pm. Reason: correction
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 6:19 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
Perhaps I shouldn't have described the gendarme's mother is such colourful terms.

Just kidding!
All went well - beautiful run through Normandy and the journey in the UK was without problem.
I am now happily re-united with the new certificate of insurance and green card.
Glad to hear it....

I wouldn't hurt for the EU to create a paperless system for all cars that is accessible by all police forces across the union. But maybe their already wasting shed loads of money on a study to move in this direction.
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

cardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond repute

Just kidding!
Oh no. Spoilsport.
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 9:47 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Where could one find a more desirable prison cell?
Old Sep 4th 2014, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

@ET,
Concerning Sod's Law, if you're in the minority, I'm with you.
And Flamby too - the perfect example of 'If anything just cannot go wrong, it will anyway'. (Latest example being V. Trierweiler's surprise book release yesterday!)
Old Sep 4th 2014, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Where could one find a more desirable prison cell?
Without doubt at Blois (Lois-et-Cher). The oldest prison in France, dating from the 11th century is now a hotel, where two of the dungeons and latrine have been turned into 'accommodation'.
I've just booked a permanent room for the mother-in-law.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.