Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Six months in France

Six months in France

Old Aug 14th 2016, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

Pinkcat1771 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Six months in France

Thanks. Love the Beziers route suggestion! We have spent a few weeks down there and love Sete!

Thanks also for the ferry route suggestion, Poole or Portsmouth would be easy for us this end so I will take a look.

Normally we just fly down but as this is a longer trip it's a bit different due to luggage and our little travelling buddy!
He's flown to Florida before so is fine with flying but the only airline we could use to get him to Nice is AirFrance via Paris.

Just hoping we can split the drive up and make it part of our adventure!

Thank you again, just so great to get info from people who have a much better idea of what's involved than us!
Old Aug 14th 2016, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by grannybunz
Hi. Quite honestly the only way when travelling with a pet is the tunnel, Less stressful for all concerned.

Get the mog a harness and lead so it can get out and stretch it's legs every few hours and get some feramone spray from your vet to make it comfortable getting in and out of the car and to settle in the apartment.

Good luck!
Thanks, he's very chilled and a great traveller unlike another cat I had. He was totally unaffected after his long flight to Miami when we moved out there and just goes to sleep in the car. I've got a big aircrate which he flew back in so will use that probably so I can fit in a small litter tray. Plus it has a water and food bowl attached to the front grill.

He is an indoor cat but goes out in the garden on a harness so is used to that. I've used the feliway spray before so might get one for the trip and apartment.

Do you think the ferry is more stressful for him than the tunnel? If there isn't much difference in the overall journey distance that might be our preference as I hate ferries!

Thanks for your advice.
Old Aug 14th 2016, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pinkcat1771

Do you think the ferry is more stressful for him than the tunnel? If there isn't much difference in the overall journey distance that might be our preference as I hate ferries!

Thanks for your advice.
I’m not fully up to date but I understand unless you have a pet friendly cabin (BF?) they have to go in a kennel which is in the bilges and very noisy I gather.
Old Aug 14th 2016, 3:47 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by audio
I’m not fully up to date but I understand unless you have a pet friendly cabin (BF?) they have to go in a kennel which is in the bilges and very noisy I gather.
The fastest crossing on the Portsmouth-Cherbourg route is only three hours: pets just stay in the car.
Old Aug 14th 2016, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

Audio is correct. an overnight ferry is not nice for pets, even chilled ones. On the shuttle you will be with him all the time and it is very quick (well usually).

There are some lovely places to divert to on the way south and you could choose either the A roads or a more off piste one. Over the many many years we have found some great stop-overs so would be more than happy to pass on recommendations.
Old Aug 14th 2016, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
The fastest crossing on the Portsmouth-Cherbourg route is only three hours: pets just stay in the car.
Thank you, will take a look at this option.
Old Aug 14th 2016, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by grannybunz
Audio is correct. an overnight ferry is not nice for pets, even chilled ones. On the shuttle you will be with him all the time and it is very quick (well usually).

There are some lovely places to divert to on the way south and you could choose either the A roads or a more off piste one. Over the many many years we have found some great stop-overs so would be more than happy to pass on recommendations.
Yes please, if you know of anywhere good we could stop over without too much of a divert that would be helpful.
Old Aug 18th 2016, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Again.

Sorry not to have replied sooner. Our internet connection is terrible at the best of times and has been off for the last couple of days. I can only find addresses for you very slowly I'm afraid but here is our first suggestion:

Not far from the autorouts and, although it doesn't have a restaurant there is a super one a short walk away. Very pet friendly:

https://www.logishotels.com/en/hotel...terroirs-11790

If you want somewhere a bit further south I'll give it another try - but don't hold your breath!
Old Aug 18th 2016, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Ahh thank you! We will check it out.

Don't worry, I know what rural broadband can be like, we have the same problems here