Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Single Woman Moving to France

Single Woman Moving to France

Old Jul 10th 2010, 5:17 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Single Woman Moving to France

We have a friend, a single woman living here. At times there can be, for her, a feeling of isolation, a desire for companionship, but I echo others' sentiments. Choose your area well. It has to tick your boxes. Village living may be helpful as to travel you need a car elsewhere; 'voisins' can be the rock on which you build relationships. Some French will get you by, it is surprising how many mature French have some level of English; this helps.
Take every opportunity to speak with people, get involved; the French are generous and wonderful.
As others have said, good luck. And you will always find a Brit or two round the corner, we seem to get everywhere if you hanker a moan in English.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

MorrisLeach is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Sorry but my reply got deleted
I included a weblink and it appeared that I was advertising which was not by intention

We have a property in Le Bost
Near Plaisance
Between Issigeac and Castillonnes
Just north of the Dordogne / Lot et Garonne border

Morris
Old Oct 18th 2010, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

salmon is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: it's a good idea

Originally Posted by ratty.girl
Hello, and hope I’m in the right place!

Are there any single ladies that have made France their home?

I am a young lady of 60+, just retired and almost divorced, who intends to sample life in France next year. My husband and I had intended to move to the Limousin two years ago, but this was not to be. By next summer, our house will hopefully be sold and my youngest son finished university. It also gives me time to relearn all my French - good on grammar and reading, thanks to Open University courses, but not enough listening and speaking skills to survive in the real world.

Difficulties such as finding a long term rent, French legalities and driving a UK car will all fit into place..... eventually. However, no matter which region of France I choose, I suppose my main concern centres around integrating into a French community. Most postings about moving to and living in France seem to centre around a family with children or couples. Having become a single woman after a lengthy marriage, I am definitely used to stepping out of my comfort zone and adapting to new experiences. But how easy would it become a Francophile as a single woman? Definitely intend making the most of Life !!! Any words of wisdom and advice would be gratefully accepted, as I definitely need a starting point in my quest.
It's a good idea to move to France,you also can choose "la côte d'Opale"in the department of"Pas de Calais".People are very nice in this part of France.I'm living in Lille (north of France)and i often go to the seaside.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a link that may interest you. A single lady of a similar age, moving to Limousin, and trying to live on around 4,000 euros a year! Hopefully you might have a little more to live on than that, but it seems where there's a will there's a way.
http://www.cottagesmallholder.com/fo.../bonjour-ca-va
Old Oct 18th 2010, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

cmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nice
Default Re: it's a good idea

Originally Posted by salmon
It's a good idea to move to France,you also can choose "la côte d'Opale"in the department of"Pas de Calais".People are very nice in this part of France.I'm living in Lille (north of France)and i often go to the seaside.
I second that about Lille. It's where we live and it's wonderful. There's so many activities here. Everyone has been generous and kind. We've been able to join in activities with no problems whatsoever. And the public transport is really good - and cheap.
Old Oct 21st 2010, 7:31 am
Just Joined

Post Re: Single Woman Moving to France

Originally Posted by ratty.girl
Hello, and hope I’m in the right place!

Are there any single ladies that have made France their home?

I am a young lady of 60+, just retired and almost divorced, who intends to sample life in France next year. My husband and I had intended to move to the Limousin two years ago, but this was not to be. By next summer, our house will hopefully be sold and my youngest son finished university. It also gives me time to relearn all my French - good on grammar and reading, thanks to Open University courses, but not enough listening and speaking skills to survive in the real world.

Difficulties such as finding a long term rent, French legalities and driving a UK car will all fit into place..... eventually. However, no matter which region of France I choose, I suppose my main concern centres around integrating into a French community. Most postings about moving to and living in France seem to centre around a family with children or couples. Having become a single woman after a lengthy marriage, I am definitely used to stepping out of my comfort zone and adapting to new experiences. But how easy would it become a Francophile as a single woman? Definitely intend making the most of Life !!! Any words of wisdom and advice would be gratefully accepted, as I definitely need a starting point in my quest.
Hello,
Where are you in your researchs in France?It would be nice to hear from you!
Old Oct 21st 2010, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Palaja, near Carcassonne, Department of Aude, France
Roger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cmread
I second that about Lille. It's where we live and it's wonderful. There's so many activities here. Everyone has been generous and kind. We've been able to join in activities with no problems whatsoever. And the public transport is really good - and cheap.
... and if you happen to like "moules / frites" (mussels with chips) then that'd be the icing on the cake!!

PS - those of you who live there could add a personal word or two about the famous Lille Braderie??

Last edited by Roger O; Oct 21st 2010 at 10:44 am.
Old Oct 21st 2010, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

Post Re: it's a good idea

Originally Posted by Roger O
... and if you happen to like "moules / frites" (mussels with chips) then that'd be the icing on the cake!!

PS - those of you who live there could add a personal word or two about the famous Lille Braderie??
In spring there is "la route du Louvres",many people run or walk between Lille and Lens, a city in the "Pas de Calais", along the "Canal de la Deûle".A nice moment to share with your friends or your family.Join us next year!
Old Oct 31st 2010, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

aimaom is an unknown quantity at this point

In spring there is "la route du Louvres",many people run or walk between Lille and Lens, a city in the "Pas de Calais", along the "Canal de la Deûle".A nice moment to share with your friends or your family.Join us next year!
I was also a single girl when I arrived in France, although it was different because I was only 22, working etc.
I have to say, in the place I live in there aren't many Anglophone people (or ones without their family here anyway) but if you went to a place where there are a lot of ex pats, I don't think that would be a problem. My mum has a friend who lives near Nice, and apparently there are quite a few Brits there, probably in the south in general. Around Lille is also popular I think.
I have a great website to suggest for meeting French people, it's called onvasortir.com
Old Oct 9th 2011, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

Vivienne Stuart is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
I'm following the thread originally posted by a lady from Inverness asking about moving to France as a single woman. I'm 55, divorced and my youngest has now gone off to university. I'm now considering spending at least part of the year in France and enjoying the 'Good Life'!
I'd welcome any suggestions about choosing a region where I might find a warm welcome among Ex Pats and French people alike.
It's a fairly daunting prospect being single and I'm planning to spend some tie over the next year exploring different regions and options.
Vivienne
Old Oct 9th 2011, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G-J-B
Here's a link that may interest you. A single lady of a similar age, moving to Limousin, and trying to live on around 4,000 euros a year! Hopefully you might have a little more to live on than that, but it seems where there's a will there's a way.
http://www.cottagesmallholder.com/fo.../bonjour-ca-va
I am a member of the site quoted and it is an interesting story!
Old Oct 10th 2011, 1:28 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vivienne Stuart
Hi
I'm following the thread originally posted by a lady from Inverness asking about moving to France as a single woman. I'm 55, divorced and my youngest has now gone off to university. I'm now considering spending at least part of the year in France and enjoying the 'Good Life'!
I'd welcome any suggestions about choosing a region where I might find a warm welcome among Ex Pats and French people alike.
It's a fairly daunting prospect being single and I'm planning to spend some tie over the next year exploring different regions and options.
Vivienne
Welcome to the Forum, Pretty much every region has an expat community although they do vary. The only surefire way is to visit a few places and see what you think.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

Always Happy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Welcome to the Forum, Pretty much every region has an expat community although they do vary. The only surefire way is to visit a few places and see what you think.
Hello I was just wodering how you are getting on. I find myself in a similair position. The world is my oyster. I'm just thinking through lots of options. 51. Female. Recently - very very amicably - seperated. Adore France. Mmm.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 8:42 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Always Happy
Maybe this thread has just 'dropped off' everyones radar. It was started a long time ago with the original message
I began thread using a female friend living in France as an example of loneliness. Thread moved on to travelling, which is fine. Thread has become a tad stale, but I think the topic is still valid. Single women living or travelling solo is a subject well discussed in many forums. Topic doesn't impact on solo men especially (unless someone tells me otherwise).
Co-sharing travel to and from UK may benefit some women; meeting up (difficult I know 'cos of the size of France) is a possibility .... I refer back to my original post as the topic, for me and our friend, is still valid.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

Always Happy is an unknown quantity at this point

I think there are lots of people, male and female, who 'find' themselves in changed situations. For me I am naturally quite a confident person but even so some shared experiences and situations have to be a good thing! Whatever they are i guess. Small or large. I personally feel very excited about the future and I felt the original lady felt that way too. I have always adored France. I love Aquitaine region particularly and love in round Bergerac. Will keep an eye on thread just in case ratty girl resurfaces! It would be great to hear what happened!