Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

sillé le guillaume

sillé le guillaume

Old Feb 25th 2021, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

wordsmith65 has a reputation beyond reputewordsmith65 has a reputation beyond reputewordsmith65 has a reputation beyond reputewordsmith65 has a reputation beyond reputewordsmith65 has a reputation beyond reputewordsmith65 has a reputation beyond reputewordsmith65 has a reputation beyond reputewordsmith65 has a reputation beyond reputewordsmith65 has a reputation beyond reputewordsmith65 has a reputation beyond reputewordsmith65 has a reputation beyond repute
Talking sillé le guillaume

Bonjour, Dee & Allan here from Blackpool....Don't ask !!!
We are hoping to move to France in the coming year or so and are making solid plans to do so, despite covid, Brexit and a thousand other reasons why we should stay put...we are looking at the town of sillé le guillaume as its got a good mix of all the things we enjoy.
We would love to hear from anyone else in the area that might offer us some tips, advice and anything else positive that will add to our excitement, just to give you a little background, we are kiwis living in the UK and despite all the issues of the past year or so its been an interesting ride thus far....by all means get in touch if you can offer anything constructive and positive please !!!
Old Feb 25th 2021, 3:28 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sillé le guillaume

Originally Posted by wordsmith65
We are hoping to move to France in the coming year or so and are making solid plans to do so, despite covid, Brexit and a thousand other reasons why we should stay put...we are looking at the town of sillé le guillaume as its got a good mix of all the things we enjoy.
We would love to hear from anyone else in the area that might offer us some tips, advice and anything else positive that will add to our excitement, just to give you a little background, we are kiwis living in the UK and despite all the issues of the past year or so its been an interesting ride thus far....by all means get in touch if you can offer anything constructive and positive please !!!
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
Can't help on the Sillé le Guillaume front, I had to google it, but, wherever your destination, I would suggest that you both use the time between now and your arrival to brush up your French, if necessary! I don't think there are many BE members in the Sarthe, or they're being coy about their location!
Post again with more details of yourselves, in particular your future status ((self-)employed, retired, "inactive", student...) which will govern which Visa you'll be applying for, and whether you're bringing family, too (children, parents,....). Also your matrimonial status - France not being a partner-friendly country, if you aren't legally bound, you'll be considered as two separate individuals in all things Administrative, and especially according to the Laws of Inheritance and Succession for joint-owners of property.
Take a look in the Read-Me: Moving to France FAQs above, although some aren't quite up-to-date, but we're here to advise on anything nationwide, if no one can give local advice.
Hopefully Covid and the aftermath of Brexit will be a thing of the past by the the time you arrive, and we'll have new members who can give feedback on Visas, which is new to most of us here at the moment.
HTH
Old Feb 25th 2021, 3:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure I overnighted there a few years back - the name has stuck in my head because we had a laugh over Silly William. If I'm remembering correctly it's near Le Mans, and it has an aire de camping-car near a lake of some kind. 'Fraid I can't say anything very helpful on the strength of a quick visit but I seem to remember having a very pleasant day there. I'd spent the previous day in Le Mans which I must admit overwheImed me somewhat, being used to the quiet life it seemed the biggest busiest city I'd visited in ages LOL! but the area around there is great to wander round in a camping-car, there are loads of lovely little towns and villages. I assume you've visited S le G and spent some time there so if it floats your boat, go for it and be happy!
Old Feb 25th 2021, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know sillé le guillaume myself, but I've got relatives from my wife's side who live an hour to the south, where everyone seems to have their own troglodyte cave (my wife's grandfather used to live in one - if you wanted to extend your house, you'd just dig a new room!). I always try to visit a château when I'm in that neck of the woods, it's a nice area of France. Probably not too many Brits or Kiwis living in that neck of the woods, but you might consider that to be a big plus.
Old Feb 26th 2021, 9:05 am
Just Joined

wordsmith65 has a reputation beyond reputewordsmith65 has a reputation beyond reputewordsmith65 has a reputation beyond reputewordsmith65 has a reputation beyond reputewordsmith65 has a reputation beyond reputewordsmith65 has a reputation beyond reputewordsmith65 has a reputation beyond reputewordsmith65 has a reputation beyond reputewordsmith65 has a reputation beyond reputewordsmith65 has a reputation beyond reputewordsmith65 has a reputation beyond repute

LOL, Not many Brits or Kiwis....yes its a plus, both are lovely but we wouldn't own one
It is near Le Mans, which seems too busy for us, we want to start out with a holiday home and eventually make it a full time option as an opportunity to explore further into France.
Old Feb 26th 2021, 9:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Looking at it practically, I don't know how bothered you are about budgeting for taxes and stuff, but property taxes in SleG look to be quite low. Higher than average for Sarthe from a quick google but certainly a lot lower than where I am in Orne, and I would guess lower than the national average. As a second home there would be no reductions in property taxes which may make it seem a steep price to pay for 90 days max a year but if it's part of a long term plan it probably makes more sense, or maybe you are planning to get a visa to stay longer.
Impôts locaux Sillé-le-Guillaume (72140) - Taxe d'habitation et taxe foncière à Sillé-le-Guillaume
Old Feb 26th 2021, 9:54 am
Just Joined

Hi ETwenthome,
We are looking long term, we hope to use it as a holiday home to begin with and look at relocating eventually, having moved back to the UK just before covid, life has been challenging but we always intended to end up in France in some shape or form, Thanks for the link too
Old Feb 26th 2021, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

If I were looking in that neck of the woods, I'd look at some of the scenic countryside spots about 30 minutes from Tours. The prices are starting to increase in those areas and more and more people who work in the city are opting to move further out and commute to work, although since last year I imagine a number of them will now be teleworking which probably makes it even more attractive.
Old Feb 26th 2021, 10:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

LOL, Not many Brits or Kiwis....yes its a plus, both are lovely but we wouldn't own one
It is near Le Mans, which seems too busy for us, we want to start out with a holiday home and eventually make it a full time option as an opportunity to explore further into France.
We often drive down to Costa Brava and sometimes pass the area coming from Cork to Roscoff or going back via Cherbourg. We once drove through Mayenne, but that's about it. I don't know how much of France you've explored yet, but just make sure it's really the part of France you see yourselves full time.
Old Feb 26th 2021, 10:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by G-J-B
If I were looking in that neck of the woods, I'd look at some of the scenic countryside spots about 30 minutes from Tours. The prices are starting to increase in those areas and more and more people who work in the city are opting to move further out and commute to work, although since last year I imagine a number of them will now be teleworking which probably makes it even more attractive.
To be honest, for me that would be a reason to avoid them, I have to admit the thought of living in commuter territory makes my blood run cold. I don't see how filling up with commuters and city escapees can't change the character of a place. But, each to their own.

Seriously, if you're doing the hol-home-to-permanent route, consider getting a motorhome and spending extended visits touring France over a number of years before deciding where to settle. It's what I did. France is very motorhome friendly. It was a great experience and great fun in itself, and it meant there was minimal risk of regretting my choice of location a few years down the line as I got to know France better. I know there are more prosperous places, places with more sunshine, places with more buzz, places with more châteaux, places nearer the coast or the mountains, I've been to most of them and fallen in love with quite a lot and hopefully I'll visit them again for holidays. But none of them felt quite right as a place to base myself.

That's how I did it and it worked for me but again, each to their own.

Last edited by EuroTrash; Feb 26th 2021 at 10:54 am.
Old Feb 26th 2021, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ETwenthome
To be honest, for me that would be a reason to avoid them, I have to admit the thought of living in commuter territory makes my blood run cold. I don't see how filling up with commuters and city escapees can't change the character of a place. But, each to their own.
I live (pre-covid that is) just outside Tours and IMHO the description as "commuter territory" does not properly describe the situation.
Yes the early morning and evening TGVs are busy - not only with commuters but also those going to both Orly airport and CDG airport.
As G-J-B says there are many communes around Tours that can offer a tranquil way of life.
The benefit of living near Tours is that it is alive for 12 months of the year unlike many french towns.
There are 50+ restaurants; several cinemas including an art house cinema that shows english language films (if you want them).
There is a vibrant community of multi country expats including students at the university which can lead to social interaction between these different cultures.
The OPs should consider transport links.
Transport by car from the UK to Sarthe is not difficult but would be difficult if a car is not available.
In Tours you have a regular TGV service to CDG airport as well as a link to Eurostar in Lille.
TGV to Paris is 1 hour.
You have two motorway links (A10 and A28) from Tours to the Channel and also Paris.
There is a (post-covid??) air service (Ryanair) to Stansted.
Many Parisiens choose to retire in Indre Loire for the quality of life.
If you just want peace and tranquillity, then you don't need to go into Tours unless you have to.
I would agree with ET about living in an area before you decide to buy a property but I would suggest that you rent a gite longer term in the town of your choice and see if it lives up to your expectations.
HTH