Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Sick pay in France?

Wikiposts

Sick pay in France?

Old Jan 14th 2009, 12:20 am
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light
Default Sick pay in France?

I have recently taken a job looking after a baby in his own home ( I think I am registered as a Garderie à domicile). Please could anyone tell me what is the statutory sick pay for this kind of job in France and is there a time period I need to work before I am entitled to claim should the need arise.

Many thanks.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 12:45 am
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Sick pay in France?

Anyone?!
Old Jan 15th 2009, 1:01 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GillyG
I have recently taken a job looking after a baby in his own home ( I think I am registered as a Garderie à domicile). Please could anyone tell me what is the statutory sick pay for this kind of job in France and is there a time period I need to work before I am entitled to claim should the need arise.

Many thanks.
Anyone?!
Sorry, It's a bit slow at the Moment. Someone who understands the Topic will be along soon enough.....
Old Jan 15th 2009, 1:27 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks.
Are you receiving Chéques-Service for a low number of hours per week, or a "normal" salary, looking after the same child for several hours every day?
A lot depends on your work contract and, in either case, I imagine you'd find the necessary info from the organization where you are registered. If you're paying the S.S. contributions, you'll get sick pay from the S.S. as and when, but I've no idea whether you're covered from day 1 or not, nor how much you'd be entitled to. The organization can no doubt give you details.
Hope this helps!
Old Jan 15th 2009, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

gilly

i think CPAM has leaflets about this; obviously as others have stated it depends how you are being paid; perhaps a visit to the international services at CPAM in toulouse would be in order....
hope this helps and glad to hear that you have a job now
michele
Old Jan 16th 2009, 11:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

I am just getting paid via cheque direct from the family at the end of each month.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 12:13 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

I am just getting paid via cheque direct from the family at the end of each month.
But, is it a normal bank cheque or a Chèque-Service? Are they giving you a Payslip, with your S.S. contributions deducted? Have you got a work contract? Without anything to prove that you're in the System, I suspect you won't be entitled to sickness benefit or holiday pay....
Old Jan 17th 2009, 12:15 am

Are you making any contributions to URSSAF or are they, HERE is the Ussaf website. Im guessing that your employed under the Chèque Emploi Service Universel system so It's explained quite well HERE.

Assedic HERE

CPAM HERE

Having chatted to a friend of mine, It is quite possible that you are not covered for any sort of Sick Pay unless you have taken out a private policy to cover this.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Jan 17th 2009 at 12:50 am.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 9:22 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

How can we help if you're not answering our questions!
If you're an Assistante Maternelle (gardienne) à domicile registered with the Conseil Général of your Département, then you must be covered by the "Convention Collective" and are entitled to sick leave. But you say it's the parents who pay you by cheque, so you aren't employed by an organization under your C.G.
As mentioned in earlier posts, you need to be in the S.S. system in order to claim sickness benefit, so must have payslips mentioning your S.S. deductions, i.e. your employers must declare you, with your S.S. number, to the URSSAF.
I forgot to mention earlier that, from a practical point of view, you need an Arrêt de Travail from a Doctor, you send part of the document to your CPAM office and give the other sheet to your employers. The first two days of absence don't count (N.B. this period might have changed since I was salaried), e.g. if your Arrêt de Travail is for a week, you'd only get benefit for 3 working days.
As to how much sickness benefit you'd be entitled to, I can't help. When I was salaried, I received my full pay. My boss received the indemnities from the S.S. and had an insurance to cover the rest. You'd do best to find out at your local CPAM office, although you might see raised eyebrows. They'll find it an odd enquiry, starting a job and asking about sickness benefit already....
Old Jan 18th 2009, 3:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for all your replies. OK I have only been in France a few months, speak very poor French and this is my first job here (I only started last week!)and I don't understand most of the French terms/abbreviations! Please be kind!

I am registered with Le Paje (Centre Pajemploi) and from what I can tell my boss will give me a cheque at the end of each month (a cheque direct from their personal bank account). They then pay my tax and any other deductions directly to whoever they need to pay that to. I have got a contract but this is my employers first baby and my first job here so we are both a bit in the dark about what I am entitled to. If it helps I work 25 hours per week. Hope I answered all your questions in order for you to help me
Old Jan 18th 2009, 4:10 am

Thanks for all your replies. OK I have only been in France a few months, speak very poor French and this is my first job here (I only started last week!)and I don't understand most of the French terms/abbreviations! Please be kind!

I am registered with Le Paje (Centre Pajemploi) and from what I can tell my boss will give me a cheque at the end of each month (a cheque direct from their personal bank account). They then pay my tax and any other deductions directly to whoever they need to pay that to. I have got a contract but this is my employers first baby and my first job here so we are both a bit in the dark about what I am entitled to. If it helps I work 25 hours per week. Hope I answered all your questions in order for you to help me
Ok that's through Urssaf HERE check the Information section.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 4:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Cheers Ka Ora...but I don't understand it!!! Might have to sit down with a translator me thinks!
Old Jan 18th 2009, 5:16 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Cheers Ka Ora...but I don't understand it!!! Might have to sit down with a translator me thinks!
The site isn't user-friendly AT ALL, even for fluent French speakers!
Sorry about all the acronyms, but they are common words in French. They are explained in French/English Dictionaries (not PAJE, though, it's too recent - it stands for Prestation d'Accueil de Jeunes Enfants = literally, Benefits for the Care of Young Children, ouch!).
Wait until you get your first payslip - if you're in this PAJE system, your URSSAF (Social Security) deductions will be mentioned and you are covered.
Meanwhile, I wish you Good Health and hope you'll never need to find out!
Old Jan 18th 2009, 5:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dmu
The site isn't user-friendly AT ALL, even for fluent French speakers!
Sorry about all the acronyms, but they are common words in French. They are explained in French/English Dictionaries (not PAJE, though, it's too recent - it stands for Prestation d'Accueil de Jeunes Enfants = literally, Benefits for the Care of Young Children, ouch!).
Wait until you get your first payslip - if you're in this PAJE system, your URSSAF (Social Security) deductions will be mentioned and you are covered.
Meanwhile, I wish you Good Health and hope you'll never need to find out!
Thanks. Yes I hope I never need to use it but I'm thinking along the lines that it is better to know before rather than at the time of becoming ill!